Baptism

  • Rev. Dn. Monsy Jacob
    Message 1 of 1 , Jul 29, 2009
      INFANT BAPTISM

      Church
      Church is the assembly of believers. It includes both the New Testament saints (under the covenant of the blood of Jesus), the Old Testament saints under the Abrahamic covenant and the saints before that, starting with Adam. So; when the church was established in the creation of Adam; the hope and faith in Messiah Jesus originated. Gen 3:15; 49:8-12; Heb 11:2; Pet 1:5-13; Rev 13:5.

      So; The foundation stone of the O.T Church and the N.T church is ONE; Jesus Christ. Our Lord said it to Thomas apostle; Nobody comes to the Father except through me.

      What is Baptism?

      In O.T. baptism was Circumcision; according to Abrahamic covenant.� The ceremonial washing away of sin was practiced in Judaism. This is called Micvah. Remember the jars at Cana; used for ceremonial cleansing.

      John's Baptism was baptism of repentance. Not for the forgiveness of sins. So, he refused to baptize Jesus. Jesus had a very different reason for undergoing this baptism. This was for the proclamation by God The Father in the presence of God the Holy Spirit and the greatest of all born from women (John the Baptist; greater than all prophets; according to Jesus) that Jesus is God the Son.
      In New Testament church, we do not administer John's baptism.

      Our Baptism/ N. T. Baptism
      "And Peter said to them, 'Repent and let each of you be baptized in the name of Jesus Christ for the forgiveness of your sins; and you shall receive the gift of the Holy Spirit. For the promise is for you and your children, and for all who are far off as many as the Lord our God shall call to Himself " (Acts 2:38,39).

      It is not for you and children, but "for you and YOUR children," Peter did not say like you and your adult children either.

      Bible mentions that entire "households" were baptized does make that children and infants were included. "Now I did baptize the household of Stephanas . . . " (1 Corinthians 1:16)� "... he ordered them to be baptized."(Acts 11:13b, 14; Acts 10:48a) "And when she (Lydia of Thyatira) and her household had been baptized . . . " (Acts 16:15a) "Believe in the Lord Jesus, and you shall be saved, you and your household . . . and immediately he was baptized, he and all his household. " (Acts 16:31, 33b). "He and his house" refers to the total family; the Old Testament use of this phrase clearly demonstrates this by specifically mentioning the presence of children and infants at times.

      Age of accountability
      Is there a single example in the bible of a baptism of the children of Christian parents once they have matured out of infancy?
      The Bible does not talk about "age of accountability or reason" (which many pinpoint at 13 years) when a child's capacity to believe the Gospel is developed enough so that he can receive baptism. Neither does the Bible state that every child is in a "suspended state of salvation" until they have reached this age.

      A New Testament Church is a receiving Church, not a condemning church. We do not discriminate between male and female, child and old; slave and master; gentile and Jew. For our Lord became all these.

      Can an infant repent his sin?� NO;
      Does our Lord allow anyone to exclude an infant from salvation through His blood?
      Is the reason for the salvation through baptism, the act of the individual?
      No; Salvation is because of grace.

      The New Testament was written in a span of 50 years. There is not one incident that says that a child was forbidden from baptism because of his age.

      Repeated Baptism

      It is a direct violation of the word of God. It is exactly like doing a second circumcision when a child gets older. All knows that they were baptized in the name of the Father, Son and the Holy Spirit. If you repeat it; you are just crucifying Him again. What happens if he sin again? Baptize again? It is interesting to see that none of the original churches do second baptism. If an orthodox become a catholic etc. The Greeks; even though do not accept Catholics as a church would not re-baptize one if he joins them from Greek orthodoxy.

      My Perspective

      In the first generation church, there was no institution of holy matrimony. The boy and girl came to the church and the bishop declared them husband and wife. The Holy Spirit revealed to us the divinity in marriage. That the bed a married couple is sharing is holy. The product is also holy as the scripture says we are put together because God seeks Godly children� Mal 2:15.

      Hence we have to baptize all our infants and re-baptism is a sin and violation of the Word of God (Ephesians 4:5)

      Chemmachen
      Dn. Monsy Jacob
      St. Stephen's, Boston