Re:Wall clock in front of Holy Altar - is it necessary??

  • George John
    Message 1 of 3 , Jul 26 9:43 PM
      Dear Aji,

      It is surprising that you noticed the wall clock and is distracted by it. I'm sure 99.99% of the people attending mass does not even notice that there is a wall clock nor do they time their attendance by it. As far as I can make out it only helps the clergy in attempting to maintain a schedule. It is quite important in places like here in Kuwait where we have time-sharing of the facilities. You need to start and finish within allotted times. Here in Kuwait the clock is not at the front but at the back so that it is visible from the alter when the priest is addressing the crowd -:).

      Regards,

      George
      2918
    • Aji Thomas David
      Message 2 of 3 , Jul 27 3:49 AM
        Dear George

        Thanks for the comments.

        I agree with you to keep the clock facing to Altar as same as in your Kuwait parish. Sure it will help the priest to know the time.

        But my point is the clock facing the audience at entrance of the Altar. Yes it's distracting my attention and I am sure same as others too you may agree or disagree.

        Even in some churches I saw the wall clocks are placed both side of the Altar. Why can not they put it side walls or at back.
        Look at this picture in this link
        http://malankarasyriacvoice.com/Albums/JubileeceleberationsofRevTJJosephCorepiscopa/dsc07773.html

        I am sure this clock is not going to help the priest or altar boys to keep the time frame rather this will help to deviate the attention of the faithful.

        In Christ
        Aji Thomas David
        4088

        Message 3 of 3 , Jul 28 10:50 AM
          Dear Aji,

          That clock in the picture sure is distracting! Too big and eye catching location .................. Perhaps from an influential benevolent parishioner Or an attempt at putting a stop to perennially complaining influential parishioners Or as Mr Titus said an attempt at shaming people into coming early.

          George
          2918