English translation of Agapius now online

  • Roger Pearse
    Message 1 of 1 , Jul 9, 2009
      Agapius is often referred to by people interested in the so-called "Testimonium Flavianum" of Josephus, or in the fragment of Papias. But the only version of his work to exist in a modern language is the French translation of Alexander Vasiliev; and quite a lot of people don't know French.

      Since no-one has produced an English translation in the 95 years since Vasiliev, I have turned his translation into English and made it available online. It is here:

      http://www.tertullian.org/fathers/index.htm#Agapius_Universal_History

      Of course such a thing has no scholarly value, but it ought to encourage some of those who talk about Agapius to look more seriously at his text as a whole, and so bring people into contact with Arabic Christian literature in a way that would otherwise never happen.

      With luck it will also spur some Arabist to undertake the task of producing a real scholarly translation!

      The translation is public domain. Do whatever you like with it; there is no copyright n my version. If you can sell copies of it, give them away, post it on your website, I would be honoured.

      May I mention that I sell a CDROM of my collection of the Fathers. If you have spare money and would like to support what I do (and help with my photocopying bills), please buy one. It's available from here:

      http://www.tertullian.org/fathers/all_the_fathers_on_cd.htm

      All the best,

      Roger Pearse