Re: June 29 is the feast of the Apostles St. Peter and St. Paul

  • V T John Nalunnakal
    Message 1 of 5 , Jul 3, 2009
      Respected Moderators,

      I am obliged to refer to the Message of the SOCM Moderators on the above matter and submit that the heading JESUS RESTORES PETER is not correct in my humble view. If the Lord was restoring Peter there was no need to make him confess thrice his love towards the Lord Jesus. In respose to his first confession of love to the Lord, the Lord puts him in charge of the apostles, in reply to his second confession he is given charge of the male members of the Church and as a result of his third cofession of love he is put in charge of the female members of the church [Kindly refer to Vizudha Grandham (Kaniyamparambil)which is not availble with me at present as I am away from home] I am subject to correction with regrd to the sequence of entrustments to Peter by our Lord (John 21: 15-19)

      With respectful regards and prayers
      Yours in HIM
      V T John Nalunnakal
      ID 3085
    • Rinu Sam
      Message 2 of 5 , Jul 5, 2009
        Dear Beloved,

        Jesus did restore Peter because of his denial of Jesus three times. St. Peter was the leader of disciples however he was not the Head of disciples.As Peter was the leader of Disciples he had to be the first to confess his love for the Risen Lord.Since Peter had denied Christ three times,Jesus restores him with threefold confession of Love.

        First Christ told Peter to " Feed my Lambs"(take care of my sheep).secondly "tend my Sheep"(direct or guide)
        and thirdly,"feed my sheep". Lamb means young Sheep, Tend means giude or direct.This means Peter was given the authority To preach Gospel among the Jews(chosen people pf Jehova).This I am quoting from the orthodox study Bible.

        If you look at the First Epistle Of St.John, he addresses the faithful/believers as "little children","Fathers","young men",etc etc.These are three Stages of Christian Growth.

        Generally when we speak the sheep refers both male/female.

        With Prayers
        Rinu Sam
        ID#4038

        --- In SOCM-FORUM@yahoogroups.com, V T John Nalunnakal wrote:

        > Respected Moderators,
        >
        > I am obliged to refer to the Message of the SOCM Moderators on the above matter and submit that the heading JESUS RESTORES PETER is not correct in my humble view. If the Lord was restoring Peter there was no need to make him confess thrice his love towards the Lord Jesus.
      • Shinu Jesus Abraham
        Message 3 of 5 , Jul 10, 2009
          Greetings to all

          Dear Mr. Rinu, let me share my understanding of the same with you. Please refer "Visudhagrandham" - Gospel of St John Chapter 21 verse 15-17, which correctly translates the blessings as "kunjaadukale meyikkuka", "pennadukale meyikkuka" and "aadukale meyikkuka".
          ie : Our lord was entrusting the whole church of children, female population and male population to St. Peter the head of the apostoles. This apostolic tradition is waht we SOC believe and follow. It is more relavent to read this passage along with - Gospel of St. John Chapter 10 Verse 11-19.

          Unfortunately in English as you mentioned "sheep" is neither male nor female and hence the wrong translation intepreted in totally wrong way.

          Keep posting.

          Requesting prayers

          Shinu Jesus Abraham
          Member ID # 2908

          Message 4 of 5 , Jul 12, 2009
            Dear Shinu

            The Apostolic Tradition is that Christ Is Head Of Church.(colossian.1:18).Ephesians2:20 THECORNERSTONE being Christ,you too are built upon the foundation laid by apostles and prophets. This is called apostolic Faith and Tradition.

            The Orthodox Study Bible is a common Bible used by All orthodox Churches especially oriental orthodox churches. What I previously Quoted is from orthodox study Bible.St.John 10:11-19 is referring Christ the Good Shepherd.

            With Best Regards&prayers
            Rinu Sam
            ID#4038