SABHA CHARITHRAM PART 13

  • Dipu George
    Message 1 of 100 , Nov 23, 2002
      Shlomo,

      Witnessing various falsehoods written in both the forums by misguided
      people I felt it logical enough to reproduce the true version of the
      Church History written by none other than the most Rev Malankara
      Malpan Dr Kanyamparambil Achen.

      I humbly implore this forum to kindly reproduce the article as it is,
      so that the faithful could have a clear view about the happenings in
      this church for the past 100 years. This article starts from page 173
      of the book. However only select but important portions (relevant in
      this context) have been written along with my very small observations
      in the spare time I could afford because of my busy schedule.
      I do not know if this book is available anymore but I sincerely
      exhort every faithful to try to get at least a copy of it.

      Aloho Ahmuch ………….

      Dipu George

      -------------------
      THE SYRIAN ORTHODOX CHURCH IN INDIA AND ITS APOSTOLIC FAITH

      PART 13

      Moran Patriarch Aprem I passed away

      After a memorable reign of 25 years the Holy Father left for His
      heavenly abode on 23 June 1957 and was entombed at the St Mary's
      Soonoro Church at Homs, Syria. His contributions to the Christian
      world were many and the renown of the Syrian Orthodox church spread
      far and wide. His efforts for peace in the Malankara church were
      sincere and lenient. Had the Catholicos and his party cared more for
      the progress of the Church, peace in the Church would have become a
      reality.

      Patriarch Moran Ignatius Yacoub III The Peace Maker

      27th October 1957 had been one of the happiest days for the Malankara
      church. It was on that day that Abdul Ahad Remban with12 year's
      memorable service in India was enthroned as the Patriarch of the
      Apostolic Throne of Antioch and All the East.

      In his first pontifical Kalpana to the Malankara Church the Holy
      Father wrote: "Only one thing pains Our heart and that is, that
      beloved part of Our church – Malankara, tossing on the waves of
      division, a fact, we have seen with our own eyes. This division is
      the main obstacle in its spreading to right and left. We desire to
      unite those who are divided and to bring all the faithful into one
      fold. We would ever be cautious to safeguard that relation between
      the throne of Antioch and Malankara. Hence we open Our heart widely
      for unity and reconciliation. We stretch our hands to accept those
      who have gone astray and to embrace all with paternal affection. This
      we long for; this is Our prime object. Pass on this one to another".
      Through another Kalpana the Holy Father approved the election of Mor
      Clemis as Malankara Metrapolitan.
    • Dipu George
      Message 100 of 100 , Nov 23, 2002
[...]

        PART 14

        The Supreme Court judgment of 1958

        In spite of unselfish services rendered by Dr P T Thomas and Adv K P
        Abraham and P P John the Catholicos could win the suit on " certain
        legal points". In spite of this adverse decision the prelates and
        the faithful worked with determination for the perpetuation of their
        Holy Faith.

        But "peace at any cost " became the slogan of some influential
        quarters. The following pages will show whether it was for the better
        or for the bitter.

        The Union of 1958

        In His memorable Patriarchal Bull of 9th December 1958 His Holiness
        after elaborating the advantages of union and peace ends the Kalpana
        with the words that "We are pleased to accept Mar Baselios
        Geevarghese as Catholicos for the sake of peace in the Malankara
        Church".

        This magnanimous gesture from the Holy Father was lauded by the whole
        Christendom but the partisans of the Catholicos found it as a
        submission of the Patriarch in the wake of the adverse judgment of
        the Supreme Court. This is totally incorrect. It has already been
        cited earlier that in His first Patriarchal Kalpana to the Malankara
        Church dated 11th November, the Holy Father had clearly expressed His
        prime desire for peace and that too it was at a time when the High
        Court of Kerala had "DECIDED IN FAVOUR OF THE PATRIARCH'S PARTY".