Dhandam Of Jacob

  • Fr.George V. Vayaliparambil
    Message 1 of 1 , Jun 28, 2009
      Dear Brothren

      Please see Genesis 30: 16-42
      30:16 And Jacob came out of the field in the evening,  and Leah went out to meet him, and said, Thou must come in unto me; for surely I have hired thee with my son's mandrakes. And he lay with her that night.
      30:17 And God hearkened unto Leah, and she conceived, and bare Jacob the fifth son.
      30:18 And Leah said, God hath given me my hire, because I have given my maiden to my husband: and she called his name Issachar.
      30:19 And Leah conceived again, and bare Jacob the sixth son.
      30:20 And Leah said, God hath endued me [with] a good dowry; now will my husband dwell with me, because I have born him six sons: and she called his name Zebulun.
      30:21 And afterwards she bare a daughter, and called her name Dinah.
      30:22 And God remembered Rachel, and God hearkened to her, and opened her womb.
      30:23 And she conceived, and bare a son; and said, God hath taken away my reproach:
      30:24 And she called his name Joseph; and said, The LORD shall add to me another son.
      30:25 And it came to pass, when Rachel had born Joseph, that Jacob said unto Laban, Send me away, that I may go unto mine own place, and to my country..
      30:26 Give [me] my wives and my children, for whom I have served thee, and let me go: for thou knowest my service which I have done thee.
      30:27 And Laban said unto him, I pray thee, if I have found favour in thine eyes, [tarry: for] I have learned by experience that the LORD hath blessed me for thy sake.
      30:28 And he said, Appoint me thy wages, and I will give [it].
      30:29 And he said unto him, Thou knowest how I have served thee, and how thy cattle was with me.
      30:30 For [it was] little which thou hadst before I [came], and it is [now] increased unto a multitude; and the LORD hath blessed thee since my coming: and now when shall I provide for mine own house also?
      30:31 And he said, What shall I give thee? And Jacob said, Thou shalt not give me any thing: if thou wilt do this thing for me, I will again feed [and] keep thy flock:
      30:32 I will pass through all thy flock to day, removing from thence all the speckled and spotted cattle, and all the brown cattle among the sheep, and the spotted and speckled among the goats: and [of such] shall be my hire.
      30:33 So shall my righteousness answer for me in time to come, when it shall come for my hire before thy face: every one that [is] not speckled and spotted among the goats, and brown among the sheep, that shall be counted stolen with me.
      30:34 And Laban said, Behold, I would it might be according to thy word.
      30:35 And he removed that day the he goats that were ringstraked and spotted, and all the she goats that were speckled and spotted, [and] every one that had [some] white in it, and all the brown among the sheep, and gave [them] into the hand of his sons.
      30:36 And he set three days' journey betwixt himself and Jacob: and Jacob fed the rest of Laban's flocks.
      30:37 And Jacob took him rods of green poplar, and of the hazel and chesnut tree; and pilled white strakes in them, and made the white appear which [was] in the rods.
      30:38 And he set the rods which he had pilled before the flocks in the gutters in the watering troughs when the flocks came to drink, that they should conceive when they came to drink.
      30:39 And the flocks conceived before the rods, and brought forth cattle ringstraked, speckled, and spotted.
      30:40 And Jacob did separate the lambs, and set the faces of the flocks toward the ringstraked, and all the brown in the flock of Laban; and he put his own flocks by themselves, and put them not unto Laban's cattle.
      30:41 And it came to pass, when so ever the stronger cattle did conceive, that Jacob laid the rods before the eyes of the cattle in the gutters, that they might conceive among the rods.
      30:42 But when the cattle were feeble, he put [them] not in: so the feebler were Laban's, and the stronger Jacob's.

      The Dandu (Dandam?) of Jacob : It is the rods that made Jacob rich and which redeemed him from the slavery of Laban.
      A)� The rod made Jacob financially rich.
      B)� The off springs of the goats which looked the rod of Jacob were healthier.
      C)� The off springs of the goats which saw the rod has got new color and they were separate in its appearance itself from others.

      It is the cross that redeemed us from the slavery of Satan and the sin. The cross which symbolizes Jesus Christ, is our source of richness. The Holy Bible say …..”those who where looked unto Him became enlightened.” The church see those who looked unto the cross of our Lord are rich and are expected to be a separated one from those who are weak in spirit and are in the side of World and Satan.

      As mentioned in Genesis 32:10 it is the staff that helped him to cross the river Jordan. It is the Cross that helps us to cross the river of sin. In our prayers several times we used to say as “Papa samudrathil njan mungipoyi” “I was immersed in the see of sin”. “Njan papathinte samudramakunnu” (“I am the see of sin”). In the midst of Holy Great Lent we used to install the Holy Cross (Sleeeba) in the middle of the church, as it is the source of our salvation which can redeem us from our sin.

      In New Testament it is Jesus Christ who abridges the infinite distance in between man and God. He Him selves died on the cross and thus he sanctified the cross and has given to us, as his symbol so that those who carry it or depend on it may become able to pass the trespasses in the way to heavenly Jerusalem.

      Please go through the following link and reflect on it.

      Yours in Christ
      Fr George Vayaliparambil