June 29 is the feast of the Apostles St. Peter and St. Paul

  • SOCM Moderators
    Message 1 of 5 , Jun 27, 2009
      June 29 is the feast of the Apostles St. Peter and St. Paul
      (Matthew 18: 21-35; 20: 1-16; John 21: 15-19)

      Jesus Rejected at Nazareth

      But Jesus said to them, �A prophet is not without honor except in his own country, among his own relatives, and in his own house.� Now He could do no mighty work there, except that He laid His hands on a few sick people and healed them. And He marveled because of their unbelief. Then He went about the villages in a circuit, teaching.

      Sending Out the Twelve
      And He called the twelve to Himself, and began to send them out two by two, and gave them power over unclean spirits. He commanded them to take nothing for the journey except a staff�no bag, no bread, no copper in their money belts� but to wear sandals, and not to put on two tunics.

      Also He said to them, �In whatever place you enter a house, stay there till you depart from that place. And whoever will not receive you nor hear you, when you depart from there, shake off the dust under your feet as a testimony against them. Assuredly, I say to you, it will be more tolerable for Sodom and Gomorrah in the day of judgment than for that city!�

      So they went out and preached that people should repent. And they cast out many demons, and anointed with oil many who were sick, and healed them.

      Mark 6: 4-13

      Jesus Restores Peter
      So when they had eaten breakfast, Jesus said to Simon Peter, �Simon, son of Jonah, do you love Me more than these?�
      He said to Him, �Yes, Lord; You know that I love You.�
      He said to him, �Feed My lambs.�
      He said to him again a second time, �Simon, son of Jonah, do you love Me?�
      He said to Him, �Yes, Lord; You know that I love You.�
      He said to him, �Tend My sheep.�
      He said to him the third time, �Simon, son of Jonah, do you love Me?� Peter was grieved because He said to him the third time, �Do you love Me?�
      And he said to Him, �Lord, You know all things; You know that I love You.�
      Jesus said to him, �Feed My sheep. Most assuredly, I say to you, when you were younger, you girded yourself and walked where you wished; but when you are old, you will stretch out your hands, and another will gird you and carry you where you do not wish.� This He spoke, signifying by what death he would glorify God. And when He had spoken this, He said to him, �Follow Me.�

      John 21: 15-19
    • V T John Nalunnakal
      Message 2 of 5 , Jul 3 4:24 AM
        Respected Moderators,

        I am obliged to refer to the Message of the SOCM Moderators on the above matter and submit that the heading JESUS RESTORES PETER is not correct in my humble view. If the Lord was restoring Peter there was no need to make him confess thrice his love towards the Lord Jesus. In respose to his first confession of love to the Lord, the Lord puts him in charge of the apostles, in reply to his second confession he is given charge of the male members of the Church and as a result of his third cofession of love he is put in charge of the female members of the church [Kindly refer to Vizudha Grandham (Kaniyamparambil)which is not availble with me at present as I am away from home] I am subject to correction with regrd to the sequence of entrustments to Peter by our Lord (John 21: 15-19)

        With respectful regards and prayers
        Yours in HIM
        V T John Nalunnakal
        ID 3085
      • Rinu Sam
        Message 3 of 5 , Jul 5 6:39 AM
          Dear Beloved,

          Jesus did restore Peter because of his denial of Jesus three times. St. Peter was the leader of disciples however he was not the Head of disciples.As Peter was the leader of Disciples he had to be the first to confess his love for the Risen Lord.Since Peter had denied Christ three times,Jesus restores him with threefold confession of Love.

          First Christ told Peter to " Feed my Lambs"(take care of my sheep).secondly "tend my Sheep"(direct or guide)
          and thirdly,"feed my sheep". Lamb means young Sheep, Tend means giude or direct.This means Peter was given the authority To preach Gospel among the Jews(chosen people pf Jehova).This I am quoting from the orthodox study Bible.

          If you look at the First Epistle Of St.John, he addresses the faithful/believers as "little children","Fathers","young men",etc etc.These are three Stages of Christian Growth.

          Generally when we speak the sheep refers both male/female.

          With Prayers
          Rinu Sam
          ID#4038

          --- In SOCM-FORUM@yahoogroups.com, V T John Nalunnakal wrote:

          > Respected Moderators,
          >
          > I am obliged to refer to the Message of the SOCM Moderators on the above matter and submit that the heading JESUS RESTORES PETER is not correct in my humble view. If the Lord was restoring Peter there was no need to make him confess thrice his love towards the Lord Jesus.
        • Shinu Jesus Abraham
          Message 4 of 5 , Jul 10 2:25 AM
            Greetings to all

            Dear Mr. Rinu, let me share my understanding of the same with you. Please refer "Visudhagrandham" - Gospel of St John Chapter 21 verse 15-17, which correctly translates the blessings as "kunjaadukale meyikkuka", "pennadukale meyikkuka" and "aadukale meyikkuka".
            ie : Our lord was entrusting the whole church of children, female population and male population to St. Peter the head of the apostoles. This apostolic tradition is waht we SOC believe and follow. It is more relavent to read this passage along with - Gospel of St. John Chapter 10 Verse 11-19.

            Unfortunately in English as you mentioned "sheep" is neither male nor female and hence the wrong translation intepreted in totally wrong way.

            Keep posting.

            Requesting prayers

            Shinu Jesus Abraham
            Member ID # 2908

            Message 5 of 5 , Jul 12 5:29 AM
              Dear Shinu

              The Apostolic Tradition is that Christ Is Head Of Church.(colossian.1:18).Ephesians2:20 THECORNERSTONE being Christ,you too are built upon the foundation laid by apostles and prophets. This is called apostolic Faith and Tradition.

              The Orthodox Study Bible is a common Bible used by All orthodox Churches especially oriental orthodox churches. What I previously Quoted is from orthodox study Bible.St.John 10:11-19 is referring Christ the Good Shepherd.

              With Best Regards&prayers
              Rinu Sam
              ID#4038