ARK OF THE COVENANT REVEALED

  • SOCM News Bureau
    Message 1 of 2 , Jun 25, 2009
      ARK OF THE COVENANT REVEALED
      Posted on Thursday, June 25th, 2009
      By Marge Floori

      ADDIS ABABA � The head of the Orthodox Church of Ethiopia has stated that the Ark of the Covenant will be revealed to the public.

      Abuna Pauolos is in Vatican City this week, meeting with Pope Benedict XVI. It is from this holy city that Pauolos confirmed the Ark of the Covenant�s presence in Ethiopia, and that he will be announcing its unveiling this Friday: �Soon the world will be able to admire the Ark of the Covenant described in the Bible as the container
      of the tablets of the law that God delivered to Moses and the center of searches and studies for centuries.�

      The Ark is a sacred container written of in the Old Testament. It is said to contain the original Ten Commandments tablets, as well as some manna, the mythical food that the Israelites ate while wandering through the desert.

      It was made of wood, but covered in pure gold. On top, two cherubim faced each other, their wings outspread to form the �throne of God�. It�s supposed weight has been widely debated, with numbers ranging from 180 to 8,000 pounds!

      Theologians have never been able to agree on the Ark�s fate, but many believe Menelik I brought it to Ethiopia. Menelik was the son of King Solomon and the Queen of Sheba, and was the first Jewish emperor of Ethiopia.

      Today, the Ethiopian Orthodox Church boasts that it sits under lock and key in the Chapel of the Tablet, near the Church of Our Lady Mary of Zion. It is only used occasionally in ritual processions, but almost no one has seen it, let alone gotten photographic evidence.

      Said Pauolos, �The Ark of the Covenant is in Ethiopia for many centuries. As a patriarch I have seen it with my own eyes and only few highly qualified persons could do the same, until now.�

      Even UFOlogists are excited, as some believe the Ark is an example of alien intervention in ancient times. They interpret its its supernatural aspects literally, such as that the operator had to wear a special gem-adorned breastplate, or that it could be used as a weapon of mass destruction.

      The world anxiously awaits his announcement tomorrow. But will it be the real Ark, or just a hoax?

      http://weeklyworldnews.com/headlines/9322/ark-of-the-covenant-revealed/
    • Alex Jojo Joseph
      Message 2 of 2 , Jul 29 7:40 PM
        Dear All,

        Another month has passed, after this news came around us. And, of course, there was no followup on the same either by the Orthodox Church of Ethiopia or by the Patriarch.

        Quoting from one of the blogs I could read,

        "The Patriarch's announcement confirms the long-standing rumour that the Ark is, in fact, in Axum. But I understand from an Italian news source that it was NOT produced on Friday as originally announced.

        I seriously doubt that the Patriarch would lie. Either the Ark is in Axum and is the genuine article, or the Ethiopian Orthodox church is laboring under a misapprehension. My own thought is that, like the Shroud of Turin, this is going to be one of those religious artifacts that can be real or not, depending on the faith of the individual."

        Enough with the blogger. Now, while I think loud, the questions would be :

        1. Did the Patriarch lie ? To sustain a long standing rumor ?

        2. Why should the Church (holy apostolic church) get involved in keeping such mysteries sacrosanct ?

        3. Do our Church and Leaders believe that if in case these sort of mysteries exist (Ark,Holy Grail,Shroud,Veronica's Veil etc) and is revealed to the public, it will shake the faith of the followers ?

        And finally

        4. As always, Is this part of the biggest conspiracy of Islam, to get the birthrights and be free from the tag of 'illegitimate offshoots' from Abraham, the father of faith?

        FootNote : From another news snippet :

        There's just one minor detail that everyone seems to have missed. The statement from Abuna Pauolos reads as follows:

        Non sono qui per dare delle prove che l'Arca sia in Etiopia, ma sono qui per dire quello che ho visto, quello che so e che posso testimoniare. Non ho detto che l'Arca sarà mostrata al mondo. E' un mistero, un oggetto di culto.

        That basically translates as follows:

        I am not here to give proofs that the Ark is in Ethiopia, but I am here to say what I saw, what I know and I can attest to. I didn't say that the Ark would be revealed to the world. It is a mystery, an object of veneration.

        So, we will not get to SEE the Ark of the Covenant, or even verify its existence…but then again, that's why it's called a "Leap of Faith", I suppose.

        To conclude the news: The prelate surely does admit that "I saw, I know and I can attest to ". Which means atleast there is no need for Emperor Menelik to come and shout the truth on the world's face !!

        One questions surely does stand : Where are we heading to ?

        Regards
        Jojo

        Alex Jojo Joseph
        St.Mary's JSO Cathedral, Queen's Road, Bangalore
        St.George JSO Cathedral, Kavumbhagom, Thiruvalla
        Member ID # 0910