Holy Cross and Yakobinte Dandam

  • Mathew G M
    Message 1 of 10 , Jun 21, 2009
      During the Sleeba Agosham in the Good Friday Service, the Pesgomo hymn while facing to the South says that the Dandam of Jacob is symbolic of the Holy Cross.

      The Malayalam transliteration of the Hymn is

      Yaakkobaamajapaalanavan
      Thazhuki vanangiyathaam dandam
      Masihaayaam nammudeyidayan
      Mruthiye vanangikkolacheithu
      Paathaalatthe dhooliccha
      Sleeba thannude drushtaantham.

      What is so special about Yakobinte Dandam that it symbolically represent the Cross?

      Dandam could mean vadi (pole, rod, staff) or shiksha (punishment). Is this hymn referring to the staff of Jacob or the punishment that Jacob got?

      Can our beloved Divannasiose Thirumeni who has answered my questions before, or any other priests or learned members please shed more light on this for me.

      I have read that the 'Ladder of Jacob', from Jacob's vision symbolically representing our Lord Jesus Christ. Jacob saw the ladder bridging Heaven and Earth; and Jesus can be seen as being the ladder in that he bridges the gap between Heaven and Earth.

      But I have never read anything with respect to Jacob's (Dandam), is rod / staff being compared to the Holy Cross. So I am don't get the comparison, and cannot fully appreciate the meaning of the above hymn.

      If anyone can shed more light to the symbolism, that would be very helpful.

      In Christ,
      Mathew G M
      # 0929
    • Rinu Sam
      Message 2 of 10 , Jun 23, 2009
        Dear Beloved

        The above Hymn (pesgoma)is for facing North and not for south. The meaning in English is as follows

        The staff which Jacob the shepherd embraced, bowing before it, typified the cross. Our shepherd, christ trampled death, slew it and devastated sheol, Therefore on the day of its veneration, heaven and earth joyfylly celeberate. Togetherwith them we also pray.......

        By His death on The Cross Jesus destroyed the enimity between the two races(Gentile and Jews)By means of the cross Christ united both races into one body and brought them back to God. The ladder which Jacob saw in his Dream was termed as gate that opens ito heaven. By his death on the cross Jesus opened up the gate to heaven by destroying the death. The ladder which Jacob saw was resembling the cross (as The Ladder was raching fro earth to heaven)

        Rinu Sam
        ID#4038

        Message 3 of 10 , Jun 23, 2009
          Dear Rinu,

          Thank you for replying to my post. You have shed more light in the the ladder that Jacob saw.

          But for me, my question regarding the staff wich Jacob ebraced remains unanswered. How does the staff typify the cross ? Is there anything special about the staff ?

          I know that lot of importance was give to the staff of Moses, but I am unaware of anything special about the staff of Jacob to compare it to the cross.

          In Christ,
          Mathew G M
          # 0929

          --- In SOCM-FORUM@yahoogroups.com, Rinu Sam wrote:

          > Dear Beloved
          >
          > The above Hymn (pesgoma)is for facing North and not for south. The meaning in English is as follows
          >
          > The staff which Jacob the shepherd embraced, bowing before it, typified the cross. Our shepherd, christ trampled death, slew it and devastated sheol, Therefore on the day of its veneration, heaven and earth joyfylly celeberate. Togetherwith them we also pray.......

        • Rajesh George
          Message 4 of 10 , Jun 23, 2009
            Dear Rinu

            I am very happy to see your explanation. I wonder how you know this much theology. Are you student of any seminary?

            Prayers/Readings of our church is full of wisdom, love to our Lord  and deep theology.

            I was studying the readings of passion week myself.

            Keep it up. Pls conitnue to reply such postings.
            Our Lord bless you.

            Rajesh George
            St George Jacobite Syrian Church
            Kalamboor
            Piravom
            Member ID # 0974
          • Rinu Sam
            Message 5 of 10 , Jun 25, 2009
              Dear Beloved Mathew

              The rod refers the walking stick Jacob used to cross the river Jordan.(genesis 38:10) river jordan resembles death. Jesus overcame death by his sacrifice on the cross. Likewise Jacob also escaped from Laban through crossing Jordan river with a walking stick

              Rinu Sam
              ID#4038

              --- In SOCM-FORUM@yahoogroups.com, Mathew G M wrote:

              > Dear Rinu,
              >
              > Thank you for replying to my post. You have shed more light in the the ladder that Jacob saw.
              >
              > But for me, my question regarding the staff wich Jacob ebraced remains unanswered. How does the staff typify the cross ? Is there anything special about the staff ?

            • RinSam
              Message 6 of 10 , Jun 26, 2009
                Dear Rajesh George

                Thank you very much for your compliments. I am laymanlike you. However I had to study myself orthodox faith/dogma(right way of glorification) as one our Jacobite priest Joined pentecost sect and challenged our church faith and dogma during 1979/80 period. They (the former jacobite priest/and his group) tried to lure me to their faith when I was quiet young. They were not able to answer my questions by then. They offered me good education and job in overseas as the group had so many wealthy people. In short I refused to join with them irrespective of their offer for wealth.

                Please for me to keep myn faith.

                RinSam
                ID#4038

                Message 7 of 10 , Jun 27, 2009
                  Dear Rinu,

                  Thank you very much. You are referring to Genesis 32:10 and not 38:10 right?

                  In Christ,
                  Mathew G M
                  # 0929

                  --- In SOCM-FORUM@yahoogroups.com, Rinu Sam wrote:

                  > Dear Beloved Mathew
                  >
                  > The rod refers the walking stick Jacob used to cross the river Jordan.(genesis 38:10) river jordan resembles death. Jesus overcame death by his sacrifice on the cross. Likewise Jacob also escaped from Laban through crossing Jordan river with a walking stick
                  >
                  > Rinu Sam
                  > ID#4038

                • Sajy Thannikkottu
                  Message 8 of 10 , Jun 27, 2009
                    Dear Rinu

                    It is interesting to know your experience. Could you please list details of your debate & the questions you put forth to which they couldn't answer? I am sure that would be beneficial for many.

                    In prayers

                    Sajy Thannikkottu, Kathmandu
                  • Rinu Sam
                    Message 9 of 10 , Jun 28, 2009
                      Dear Mathew
                      Yes,you are right Genesis32:10,thanks a lot for that error of typing.
                      with prayers
                      Rinu Sam
                      ID#4038

                      --- In SOCM-FORUM@yahoogroups.com, Mathew G M wrote:

                      > Dear Rinu,
                      >
                      > Thank you very much. You are referring to Genesis 32:10 and not 38:10 right?
                      >
                      > In Christ,
                      > Mathew G M
                      > # 0929
                    • Rinu Sam
                      Message 10 of 10 , Jun 30, 2009
                        Dear Beloved

                        I am unable to describe everything here.I am giving the main questions usually asked by the sect

                        The Penecostal sect first wanted me to get saved. I told them that I am being saved by the Grace of God. Jesus Christ through his sacrifice at calvary redeemed me out of sin and it(salvation) is free gift from God to all mankind. The entire salvation is a process by which people are called by God, those who called are justified by God,and those who are justified are glorified. St. Paul said in Philip 3:14 "I press on toward to goal to win the prize for which God has called me heavenward in Crist Jesus."

                        secondly to get saved, they wanted me to take water baptism by faith(adult baptism).

                        I told them to tell me from bible how many poeple were baptised by Jesus although he told Nicodemus to be born again. They told me that Jesus got baptism at age of 30. My answer was that John Baptist was giving baptism of repentance. Why Jesus to get repentence baptism from John baptist? Jesus son Of God is A High Priest, He is A Great prophet, And He is A king of King. The baptism Jesus took is the revelation of Triniy and to show the Israel, He(Jesus) Is Son of God. Another Important aspect was Jesus asked The Sons Of Zebedee(James/John) can you drink the cup I drink or be baptised with baptism I am baptised with? (Mark 10:38) This means the Baptism Jesus got was entirely different from the usual water/repentance baptism John Baptist did.

                        Thirdly Salvation is attained through faith in Christ and through action as a Christian. Baptism is in Union with Christ.

                        Those pentecost group consisting 4 people Two Pastors and two coworkers fasted and prayed for me several days to get 'saved' and join with them. I told them to go and preach gospel in unbelievers, rather than looking for me or Jacobite christians to join with them.

                        The fourth was concerning the priesthood, according to them there is no priest hood by the death of Jesus on cross as Old Levictus priesthood was ended during the trial of Jesus before Caipha the High Priest. Caipha tore his Cloth(Mathew 26:65)

                        I told them that Jesus the lamb was slained there are no more sacrifices. Old levictus priesthood is no more required but new priest hood in New Israel church is there as Jesus is the High Priest for ever in the order of Mechizedeck. He Gave his authority( priesthood) to his disciples (John20:22,23 and Mathew 28:18-20)Then they told me that John the Bapist was not a Levictus Priest as he was grown up in Desert how can he(John) give the priest hood to Jesus as we sing in our qurbaba "Aadhyacharyatham Kaiakontu...........Skaria yohannaneki,Yohannan Karthavinnum,Katha than sleehan markum."

                        I told them that When Abraham gave tithe (one tenth) to Mechizedek, Levi was still in the body of his ancestor(Hebrew7:10) For Levi had not yet born, but was so to speak, in the body of his ancestor, when Abraham met Melchizedek. Again the Bible said that John was the prophet, Isiah was talking "some one is shouting in the desert Preapare A Road for the Lord, Make a straith path for him to travel".

                        With Prayers
                        Rinu Sam
                        ID#4038