Gregory of Nyssa

  • Mark Sedrak
    Message 1 of 4 , Jun 16, 2009
      "If a man's heart has been purified, he will see the image of the divine nature in his own beauty."

      Gregory of Nyssa
    • Mark Sedrak
      Message 2 of 4 , Sep 16, 2009
        Life is in many ways divided up into opposites, since it may
        be spent as slave or as master, in riches or poverty, in honor or dishonor, in bodily infirmity or in good health, in all things there is division. Therefore the person in need should be made equal to the one who has a larger share and that which goes short should be filled by what has abundance; this is the law mercy gives men in regard to the needy. For unless mercy softens the soul, man cannot arrive at healing the ills of his neighbor. Mercy then, is a voluntary sorrow that joins itself to the sufferings of others; the loving disposition toward those
        who suffer distress.

        Gregory of Nyssa, The Beatitudes
      • Mark Sedrak
        Message 3 of 4 , Jun 11, 2010
          Therefore, if I pray, Hallowed be Thy Name, I ask that these words may affect in me things such as these:

          May I become through Thy help blameless, just, and pious.
          May I walk in the straight path, shining with temperance, adorned with incorruption, beautiful through wisdom and prudence.
          May I meditate on the things that are above and despise what is earthly, showing forth the angelic way of life.

          Gregory of Nyssa, The Lord's Prayer
        • Mark Sedrak
          Message 4 of 4 , Sep 20, 2012
            How can you see a beautiful image in a mirror unless it has received
            the impression of a beautiful form? So it is with the mirror of human nature:
            it cannot become beautiful until it draws near to the Beautiful...
            that archetypal Beauty is the Dove, and becomes transformed by the image of the divine Beauty... the Dove which symbolizes the presence of the Holy Spirit.

            Gregory of Nyssa, From Glory to Glory
            http://orthodoxbookstore.ecrater.com/p/6895295/from-glory-to