Dr.V.Kurien - Bharat Ratna award

  • Dr.George K John
    Message 1 of 1 , Jun 10, 2009
      Dear Every one

      We wish to inform you that Dr. Verghese Kurien who is the 'father of �White Revolution� in India'; doyen of dairy cooperative movement; institution-builder par excellence; has not been in the best of health recently.

      As you are aware, Dr. Verghese Kurien has been instrumental in transforming the lives of 13 million farmer families across the country. As the chief architect of �Operation Flood�, he was able to leverage an initial investment of Rs. 1000 crores into regular annual income of Rs. 1,00,000 crores for farmers of India. Through the dairy cooperative movement which Dr. Kurien championed throughout his life, he helped our farmers to obtain a steady source of income, enablingthem to improve their standard of living. His work transformed thelives of 13 million farmer families across India. His vision and his zeal have been forever embodied in the numerous Institutions that he created; AMUL, GCMMF, IRMA, NDDB, NCDFI, Anandalaya, various state dairy cooperative federations and district-level milk producers�cooperative unions

      Dr.V.Kurien a metallurgy engineer became the 'Father of dairying' in India. He has been respected by each and every dairy farmer in India. He brought the rural uplift by using dairying as an instrument of revolution. His ability to select right people to right job was his success story. His decisions for taking action on time is well lauded from the success of his projects. In 1968 when European Union offered a free gift of huge quantity 66 MMT milk powder and butter oil to poor India Dr Kurien argued with PM and Agriculture Minister to allow him to handle the above gift. Late lamented Madam Indira Gandhi who knew Dr. Kurien through her dad Jawaharlal Nehru approved his prestigious project 'Operation Flood' for which Dr.Kurien generated Rs 1000 million from the above gift and used the fund for the project. Several organizations in Europe criticized him for using gift for commercial use. He laughed at them and told that 'gift is a future investment' forhuge trade. But Dr. Kurien converted milk powder gift for producing milk in India. His far sighted vision helped India to become first in the world for milk production.

      When I joined in his team as an ordinary veterinarian he converted me as a feed technologist. When he retired from active position he had created several Kuriens in the country. All those Kureins are building the milk industry which Dr. Kurien built from nothing. Honoring him with Bharat Ratna is apt for this great man.

      It would be a fitting tribute to his extraordinary accomplishments, if the Government of India were to confer on him the highest civilian honour of the nation � �Bharat Ratna�. All citizens of our country will surely agree that Dr. Verghese Kurien will be the most worthy recipient of this award. We would like to send a petition to the President and the Prime Minister of India to award �Bharat Ratna� to Dr. Kurien, in recognition for his immense contribution. We shall be grateful if you could please lend your support to our efforts.

      We have uploaded an online petition addressed to Goverment of India, for confering Bharat Ratna Award on Dr. Verghese Kurien. Please click on the URL link given below, to view or sign thepetition:-

      http://www.gopetition.com/petitions/bharat-ratna-for-dr-verghese-kurien.html

      We shall be highly obliged if you could please forward this link to all like-minded citizens and also to our friends who are in a position to influence public as well as government opinion.

      Thanking you for your support.

      P.George K.John