SABHA CHARITHRAM PART 10

  • Dipu George
    Message 1 of 100 , Nov 23, 2002
      Shlomo,

      Witnessing various falsehoods written in both the forums by misguided
      people I felt it logical enough to reproduce the true version of the
      Church History written by none other than the most Rev Malankara
      Malpan Dr Kanyamparambil Achen.

      I humbly implore this forum to kindly reproduce the article as it is,
      so that the faithful could have a clear view about the happenings in
      this church for the past 100 years. This article starts from page 173
      of the book. However only select but important portions (relevant in
      this context) have been written along with my very small observations
      in the spare time I could afford because of my busy schedule.
      I do not know if this book is available anymore but I sincerely
      exhort every faithful to try to get at least a copy of it.

      Aloho Ahmuch ………….

      Dipu George

      -------------------
      THE SYRIAN ORTHODOX CHURCH IN INDIA AND ITS APOSTOLIC FAITH

      PART 10

      1934 CONSTITUTION

      Soon after his return from Homs, the Catholicos of the metran kakshis
      convened a representative assembly at Kottayam on 28th December 1934
      (1110,dhanu 13) in which he was elected by them as Malankara
      Metrapolitan and without a former intimation passed a constitution
      for them.

      Samudaya Case

      On 1st November 1956 the High Court of Kerala came into being and
      the three honorable judges unanimously pronounced judgment in favor
      of Mar Athanasius on 31st December 1956. Finally the appeal by the
      Catholicos in the Supreme Court was decided in his favor – that his
      election as Malankara Metrapolitan was valid. The Supreme Court
      decided in the metran kakshi's favour on a "TECHNICAL POINT OF LAW "
      but later events were to prove that technicalities cannot substitute
      convictions.

      PEACE TALKS AGAIN

      While the Samudaya case was progressing form court to court, peace
      talks were conducted simultaneously. The Anglican Bishop Packenham
      Walsh, one time Bishop of Assam and a friend of the Syrian church, as
      a mediator had interview with the Moran Patriarch. He closed his
      reports with these words
      " His Holiness
      is extremely sincere and was of opinion that it is better to submit
      to conditions presented by him so as to save the church from
      divisions …….I do always pray to God to save the church from
      schism..."

      All peace efforts including that of the peace league and of the round
      table conference at Alwaye failed!!!.
    • Dipu George
      Message 100 of 100 , Nov 23, 2002
[...]

        PART 14

        The Supreme Court judgment of 1958

        In spite of unselfish services rendered by Dr P T Thomas and Adv K P
        Abraham and P P John the Catholicos could win the suit on " certain
        legal points". In spite of this adverse decision the prelates and
        the faithful worked with determination for the perpetuation of their
        Holy Faith.

        But "peace at any cost " became the slogan of some influential
        quarters. The following pages will show whether it was for the better
        or for the bitter.

        The Union of 1958

        In His memorable Patriarchal Bull of 9th December 1958 His Holiness
        after elaborating the advantages of union and peace ends the Kalpana
        with the words that "We are pleased to accept Mar Baselios
        Geevarghese as Catholicos for the sake of peace in the Malankara
        Church".

        This magnanimous gesture from the Holy Father was lauded by the whole
        Christendom but the partisans of the Catholicos found it as a
        submission of the Patriarch in the wake of the adverse judgment of
        the Supreme Court. This is totally incorrect. It has already been
        cited earlier that in His first Patriarchal Kalpana to the Malankara
        Church dated 11th November, the Holy Father had clearly expressed His
        prime desire for peace and that too it was at a time when the High
        Court of Kerala had "DECIDED IN FAVOUR OF THE PATRIARCH'S PARTY".