Re: Can the Gulf Parishes/Congregations be under one separate Dioces
- Dear All
In the Gulf parishes always there is a clash between materialism and spirituality,some are confused which to choose and how to identify the true path. There have been many clashes,divisions and too much church politics. Many prefer not to go to church.
In Gulf there are mainly 2 catagories of people one who are sufficienly rich and other who are struggling,some of the Gulf priest are not spiritually matured,in their free talk they give more importance to money and they question the financial background of each and based on their financial position,they are respected sometimes. Some of these partisian priest are influential to get posting in Gulf for few years with support of their favourite bishops.
These priest and some rich laymen also wants to publicise too much their charity activities and it appears that many believe in church more than God.They try to turn church in to limited companies as said by Mr.Alias.
The only way for Gulf parish to prosper is by decentralization, too much control of bishops will spoil them and if bishop is not a spiritually matured person with greed he will create further problems including divisions.The parish should have the upper hand to decide things and not bishops.Further parish if they stand united and transparent they can achieve more than what a bishop can contribute to them.
For all Gulf parish there should be a non Keralite Suryoyo bishop who can speak Arabic well and should travel to all Gulf countries and he should establish good relation with Islamic Arab rulers. A keralite bishop can never influence an Arabic ruler and these parish should be directly under HH,the Suryoro bishop will only guide them in spiritual matters and in policy and will not have any temporal power.In other words each Gulf parish should be decentralzed in administration except in spiritual matters. Financial matters should be dealt by each parish in grass root level without any involvement of bishops.The minority Suryoro people in Gulf will also be happy to have a Suryoro bishop for Gulf.It is very important to have a Arabic speaking Suryoro bishop as a coordinator or as Patriarchal Vicar for Gulf affairs.The suggestion of Mr.Matthew Thomas for a Suryoyo bishop is highly sgnificant. A direct relation between Arab rulers and Holy Throne of Antioch should exist, Arab rulers should know well that we are a middle east based world's oldest church grown in middle east and having good relation with Islam.
The excess financial contribution the parish if they want can contribute at their self free will to bishop for a coordinated development and charitable activity or they can form a special committe and build small chapels in India (in 10/15 cents of land) and sponser such church in India with their funds so that we have transparent solid development also.
However all this is to be decided after collective debate,with pro can cons by the expereinced members of Gulf.Bishops considering Gulf parish as additional revenue centres should not be encouraged,full transperancy of administration including accounts should be published.If priest is not spiritualy matured,the parish should collectively send the priest home immediately,before the church turn from house of prayer to a den of robbers.
The priest and commitee should not be partisian and should stand neutral honoring christian values. Also too much revenue in Gulf parish will create further problems in administration and there can be power struggle.
The Gulf parish should have a vision, mission and should end the divisions within and should believe in God more than church, standing within the holy Apostolic throne of Antioch for them to prosper, then automatically and gradually things will be on track sooner or later.
Bibu Philip Matthew;
- Mor Ignatius Jacobite Syrian Orthodox Cathedral - Jebel Ali, Dubai
Procedure for Payment of Donations
1. Donation is financial aid given to any Institution (existing or new) registered with any of the following objectives:
Clergical Studies and Research
Social uplift of poor and destitute
2. Such Institutions seeking donations shall be a Registered Charitable Trust functioning under the administration of any of the following:
Malankara Jacobite Syrian Orthodox Church
Church / Institution of Malankara Jacobite Syrian Orthodox Church
H.H. The Patriarch directly.
3. The donation request shall be a general appeal, applicable to all churches in India and shall have the active participation of various churches in India. In other words, donation appeals targeted exclusively to Gulf Region or UAE shall not be considered by the Cathedral with the exception of instructions from H.H. The Patriarch.
4. Donation requests shall have all of the following:
� Written application stating the objective of the Institution/ Project
Copy of the approval from H.H. The Patriarch or Malankara Synod
� Copy of the registered Trust Deed of the project or the project in-charge
� Copy of the project report along with the final layout drawings
� Written endorsement by the Diocesan Bishop.
5. Donations requests shall be directed only to the Managing Committee. Cathedral's functional arms such as MIYA, MIWA or Viswasa Samrakshana Samithi shall not consider or process any such requests directly.
6. Functional arms of the Cathedral are allowed to do only charity payments (charity payment is helping one individual or one family in distress) and all such payments shall be routed through Cathedral’s Managing Committee.
7. The Cathedral shall not budget any amount for donation payments. Once donation request is accepted by Cathedral, the necessary funds shall be collected from members at each time. The Managing Committee shall do appropriate campaigns for collection. In any case, larger amounts shall not be committed as the same may be a difficult task for fulfillment. Repeated requests even for varied projects from any one entity / individual / church / bishop shall not be considered.
8. The applicant shall provide quarterly / half yearly progress reports until completion of the Project. Such progress reports shall be presented to the General Body of the Cathedral by the Managing Committee.
9. Under no circumstances abandoning of any such project without valid and prior information shall be permitted. In case of any such abandoning Cathedral shall be informed of the utilization of the collected funds.
10. In the unlikely event of occurrence of clause 9, Cathedral shall not consider any request from the same source in future.
11. Managing Committee shall inform the above clauses to all proposed applicants prior to their physical presence and / or announcement in the Cathedral.
12. Any deviation of the above shall be done only with prior approval of General Body of the Cathedral which shall be convened as per the clauses of constitution.
Prepared by the Committee appointed by General Body Meeting of the Cathedral held on 16th March 2007 and approved by the General Body Meeting held on 23rd March 2007.
- Dear all,
Mr. Bibu's suggestion is very good, non Keralite Suryoyo bishop who can speak Arabic well and should travel to all Gulf countries and he should establish good relation with Islamic Arab rulers. But do any one believe that they can overcome the traditional" paras" both from people and priests?
ID # 890