Icon vs Photo

  • Mathew G M
    Message 1 of 3 , Jun 7, 2009
      I know it is just a technicality but we need to use the word 'icon' and not 'photo' when referring the images of saints.

      We don't have photos of Apostles or the St. Mary the Mother of God or for that matter even that of our Lord Jesus Christ. But with in the church we have 'icons' which the early fathers describe as 'windows to heaven', which help us form a mental image for us when we pray.

      I know photo and icon are both words and as long as we can get the message across, its not a big deal. But being consistent with terminology helps a lot. So let us use the word `icon' of St. James or icon of St. Peter etc.

      In Christ,
      Mathew G M
      0929
    • Mathew G M
      Message 2 of 3 , Jun 7, 2009
        Dear Manoj,
        There are three St. James in the early churh. You can look up their feast dates at http://sor.cua.edu/Calendar/2009.html . In the calendar instead of 'St. James' the syriac form of the name Mor Ya`qub is used.

        The three St. James are:

        1) St. James the son of Zebedee. (St James the Greater). He is one of the 12 apostles of our Lord and is also the brother of St. John the Apostle and Evangelist who is the author of the Gospel according to John. This St. James was one of the three apostles that Jesus selected to see him in his full glory during the feast of the transfiguration on top of the mount. (The Feast date of St James the son of Zebedee is May 1)

        2) St. James the son of Alphaeus. (St James the Lesser). He is also one of the 12 apostles. (Feast date: Oct 23)

        3) St. James the brother of our Lord. (St James the Just). He was NOT one of the 12 apostles. He was the first Bishop of Jerusalem, and is the author the Taksha (Liturgy of St. James), He is also the author of the Epistle of James in the new testemant. (Feast date June 19).

        In the Roman Catholic Church, they think #2 and #3 which is St. James the son of Alphaeus and St. James the brother of our Lord are the same. They don't think these were infact two seperate men. They celeberate his feast on May 3rd.

        However in the Syriac Orthodox Church, we are taught that these are three seperate people and there is a seperate feast day for each of them May 1, Oct 23 and June 19 respectively.

        In Christ,
        Mathew G M
        0929