Augustine

  • Mark Sedrak
    Message 1 of 9 , May 4, 2009
      Christ is Risen! + Truly, He is Risen!

      Dear God, move us to make a morning offering to You each day. Grant that all our deeds during the day may be a devout continuation of our prayers begun in the morning.

      Augustine
    • Mark Sedrak
      Message 2 of 9 , May 25, 2009
        Christ is Risen! + Truly He is Risen!

        The crucifixion is something that must continue throughout our life, not for forty days only, although Moses, Elijah, and Christ fasted for forty days. We are meant to learn from them not to cling to this present world or imitate its ways, but to nail our unregenerate selves to the cross.

        Augustine, Sermon 205
      • Mark Sedrak
        Message 3 of 9 , Jun 15, 2009
          What does love look like? It has the hands to help others. It has the feet to hasten to the poor and needy. It has eyes to see misery and want. It has the ears to hear the sighs and sorrows of men. That is what love looks like.

          Augustine
        • Mark Sedrak
          Message 4 of 9 , Dec 8, 2009
            You are my God, and most of all, am I, a creature, longing
            to be created anew? You are my God, You are my creator. You created me through Your Word, and recreated me through Your Word. You created me through the Word abiding in yourself, and you recreated me through the Word who was made flesh for us.

            Augustine, Exposition on Psalm 142
          • Mark Sedrak
            Message 5 of 9 , Dec 20, 2010
              I call upon You, O God, my mercy; You who created me and did not forget me when I forgot you. Let me know you, for you are the God who knows me; You are the power of my soul, come into it and make it fit for yourself.

              I beg You to come into my heart, for by inspiring it to long for you, you make it ready to receive You.

              Now as I call upon You, do not desert me, for You came to my aid before I called You. When I was far from You, You persuaded me to listen to Your voice, to turn back to You.

              I called upon You for help, but all the time it was You who were calling me to Yourself. You blotted out all my sins and did not repay me with the punishments I deserved.

              I was nothing; You need not have given me being; before I was You were; You had no need of me. My service has not the value of a countryman's who tills his master's land, for if I do not serve You with my labor, Your work still bears fruit.

              I can only serve You and worship You with the good that comes from You. It is from You alone that I receive it, for but for You I should have no being.

              Augustine, Soliloquies
              Taken From: Daily Readings with St. Augustine