Re: Why the name of Saint Athnasious of Aluva not yet?

  • Dr. George Kunju John
    Message 1 of 8 , May 1 11:52 PM
      Dear Every one,

      The discussion on the subject is inapt as the decision should come from Holy Synod. When HH Moran took an unprecedantant decision to declare saints in the Malanakara Church it was welcomed by us. Moran accepted the cannonisation as it was seen not against the faith; albeit traditons. Now that the concept is accpeted and practised its unquestioned implimentation would be necessary. No one can think a seccondary postion to St Athanasious our beloved valia thirumeni among the saints. The college of saints is the noncontested strength of the church for its spiritual uplift. Today several church leaders use them for money collection. Their prayers will certainly help the needy who submit their demands in front of our Lord. Open up their tomb for all those who seek their intercessions.

      Once Malankara Syrian Church has been given a Catholicos. HB can make the Synod agree for such spiritual requirements of Malankara Church. It is better to isolate such issues from an open discussion which may create several arguments for and against. However; I wish and pray Valia thirumeni will be remembered in the 5th tubden soon.

      with prayers

      Dr.George Kunju John
      ID 0209

      --- In SOCM-FORUM@yahoogroups.com, Mathew G M wrote:

      > Unlike the Roman Catholic Church, there is no canonization procedure in the Syriac Orthodox Church. It is only in India, we have this canonization procedure that we have copied from the Roman Catholics. Actually it was first adopted by the Methran Kakshi when Baselious Geevarghese II Bava canonized Parumala Thirumeni and Kothamangalam Bava.
      >
      > If I am right, when a request was made by the Malankara Church to H.H Elias III Patriarch to officially Canonize Kothamangalam Bava, he was reluctant to do so because there was no such custom in the church to formally canonize anybody.
      >
      > If I am wrong, I stand to be corrected by other members.
    • Anoop Mani
      Message 2 of 8 , May 4 10:24 AM
        Dear brothers,

        I think what the Syrian Orthodox church is practising is absolutely right.  There is no meaning in following any custom or procedure and canonize a person as a saint. A person shouldnot be declared as a saint by human beings but only by God Almighty, We the members of the church can beg for the intercession of any of our deceased fathers because their physical appearance have only changed they are alive and still with us. They can pray for us also. Canonization and declaration only started in the 20th century.

        Anoop