Athanasius

  • Mark Sedrak
    Message 1 of 6 , Apr 27, 2009
      Christ is Risen! + Truly
      He is Risen!

      The Word who became all things for us is close
      to us, our Lord Jesus Christ who promises to remain with us always. He cries out, saying: "See, I am with you all the days of this age."

      He is himself the shepherd, the high priest, the way and the door, and has become all things at once for us. In the same way, he has come among us as our feast and holy day as well. The blessed Apostle says
      of him who was awaited: "Christ has been sacrificed as our Passover."

      It was Christ who shed his light on the psalmist as he prayed: "You are my joy, deliver me from those surrounding me."

      True joy, genuine festival, means the casting out of wickedness. To achieve this one must live a life of perfect goodness and, in the serenity of the fear of God, practice contemplation in one's heart.

      Athanasius
    • Mark Sedrak
      Message 2 of 6 , Aug 22, 2009
        O noble Virgin, truly you are greater than any other greatness. For who is your equal in greatness, O dwelling place of God the Word? To whom among all creatures shall I compare you, O Virgin? You are greater than them all.

        Athanasius - In Praise of the Blessed Virgin
        From: Mary and the Fathers of the Church
      • Mark Sedrak
        Message 3 of 6 , Oct 27, 2009
          Everything created by God is good and pure, for the Word of God has created nothing useless or unclean. For according to the Apostle, ‘we are a sweet savor of Christ in them that are being saved’ (2 Cor. 2:15). But the darts of the devil are varied and subtle, and he is always ready to trouble those of a simpler mind, and hinder the ordinary ascesis of the brethren, scattering among them thoughts of uncleanness and defilement.

          Athanasius, Letter to Amoun
          From the Monastic Letters of Saint Athanasius the Great
          http://orthodoxbookstore.ecrater.com/product.php?pid=2882837
        • Mark Sedrak
          Message 4 of 6 , Apr 5, 2010
            Christ is Risen! + Indeed He is Risen!

            For by the sacrifice of His own body He did two things: He put an end to the law of death which barred our way; and He made a new beginning of life for us, by giving us the hope of resurrection.

            By man death has gained its power over men; by the Word made Man death has been destroyed and life raised up anew.

            Athanasius
            On the Incarnation,
          • Mark Sedrak
            Message 5 of 6 , Apr 7, 2010
              Christ is Risen! + Indeed, He is Risen!

              Have no fears then. Now that the common Savior of all has died on our behalf, we who believein Christ no longer die, as men died aforetime, in fulfillment of the threat of the law.

              Message 6 of 6 , May 15, 2012
                Christ is Risen! + Truly He is Risen!

                We see that the radiance from the sun is integral to it, and that the substance of the sun is not divided or diminished; but it is entire, and its radiance perfect and entire, and the radiance does not diminish the substance of the light, but as it were a genuine offspring from it. Thus we see that the Son is begotten not from without, but from the Father and the Father remains entire, while the stamp of His substance� (Hebrews 1:3) exists always and preserves the likeness and image without alteration.

                Athanasius, Four Discourses Against the Arians, 2.33
                From: Learning Theology with the Church Fathers
                http://orthodoxbookstore.ecrater.com/p/6860196/learning-theology-with-the-church-fathers