Three manuscripts of Malankara Church History

  • Rev. Dn. Prince Mannathoor
    Message 1 of 1 , Apr 29 10:03 AM
      Dear all,

      When we search History of Malankara, We say that our Malankara- Antiochean relationship started with the arrival of Mor Joseph of Edessa. It is incorrect. Because, before the arrival of Joseph of Edessa one Bishop came to Malankara. His name is Mor David (Duvud). He belongs to Basrah. For the Chronicle of seert written in A.D. 295 refer, he was the bishop of Basrah. Dr.Mingana translated that manuscript.(Further information's:-A. MINGANA, The Early Spread of Christianity in India, 18, quoting from the Chronique de Seert,p.236,292; IRVIN DALE, History of the World Christian Movement,p.203.) That time Basrah was under the Patriarcahte of Antioch.

      Another information's.

      Can you help me to discover these two manuscripts? Because this manuscripts give new light of our Malankara Church history.

      1. (Nilus Doxopatrius apud Allatium). When I met one Portuguese Priest. He said to me before arrival of Portuguese people in India, there was a strong relationship Malankara Church and Antioch Patriarchate. That relationship clearly dealt in this manuscript. Unfortunately that manuscript lost from Portughese.(Lost or hide?). But yesterday one Armenian Church historian said to me this manuscript in Greek library in Athens or Sophia(Bulgeria)library.

      2. (Saoudu Sufia.)
      This manuscript was written in Syriac. The content of this manuscript is the full history of 16th century of Malankara Church as well as the life history of Yeldo Mor Baselius.(His journey, life, companions etc.) When I went to Kothamangalam Cheriyapalli, one of the Church Priest give an old letter of Ittira Malpan. In that letter he also mentioned about SAOUDU SUFIA. About his opinion is that manuscript in Berlin Library. I went to there,the authorities said to me. 'We have no idea'.

      We have a lot of sources to substantiate our church history. But those sources already lost or destroyed.

      With Prayer.

      Dn.Prince Mannathoor, Rome.