The Genocide of Syrian Christians in the Ottomon Turk

  • SOCM News Bureau
    Message 1 of 2 , Apr 25, 2009
      One of the first book written by an 'Indian' author in English, on the FORGOTTEN GENOCIDE OF THE SYRIAC CHRISTIANS, has been released in Mumbai, India recently.

      The book provides description on the history of our Syrian Orthodox Church till today, with special emphasize on the Syrian Christian Genocide between 1895 & 1928 under the erstwhile Ottoman Turk Empire, and its repercussion in Malankara Syrian Church. A brief introduction to Malankara and Antiochean Syriac Christianity is also included in the book.

      The book is enriched with the forward by Metropolitan H.E. Mor Thimoethos Thomas (Kottayam) and congratulatory messages from H.E. Mor Theophilos George Saliba (Lebanon), H.E. Mor Julius Hanna Aydin (Germany) and Malankara Malpan Very Rev. Curien Corepsicopa Kaniamaprambil. The author of the book is Mr. John Mathew Narekattu, Mumbai.

      Pages: 112
      Language: English
      Price: Rs. 100/- (US $ 6.00)
      Email address of the author: john_narekattu@... ( john_narekattu @ hotmail . com )

      SOCM News Bureau - Mumbai
    • Rev. Fr. Saji
      Message 2 of 2 , May 12, 2009
        Dear All

        This small book in English which briefly explains the Genocide which our Syrian Orthodox people faced in Turkey. What was the main reason behind excommunicating Patriarch Abdul Messiah. The original text of the Synod's decision regarding the excommunication etc.

        I was in Kurkumo Dayro when John Mathew visited there. We together visited the Monasteries and the villages in Turabdeen. It was a good experience to see our people and to receive their warm and heart felt love and affection to our people from India. Later he went to Germany and got some resources from there also. From there, he collected the details from our monks and also from the faithful migrated from Turkey to Europe. He took a good effort in bringing out this book. The Syrian people in US read this book and they appreciated. Really this book will help the new generation concerning the real factors or reasons for the early split in our church. His Holiness made a good comment after reading this book.

        Sajiachan