Holy Saturday (memorial day for all the faithful departed ones)

  • Very Rev. Fr. Joseph C. Joseph Corepiscop
    Message 1 of 1 , Apr 10, 2009
      Holy Saturday (memorial day for all the faithful departed ones)

      The Saturday of Holy Week is called "dukka saniarcha" in Malayalam. The Saturday after Good Friday our church remembers all the faithful departed people and especially remembers them in the holy Qurbana, and the church has special prayers for the departed ones with burned incense. Our Churches in Kerala, India have the tradition of going to the cemetery after the Holy Qurbana to pray for all the buried ones with the family members who are present in the church. We give the names of our departed ones to the priest to remember them especially in Holy Qurbana on their actual memorial day (date of their death) and two common memorial days which are acknowledged by our church. One is on the Sunday before the fifty-day lent and the other one is "dukka saniarcha".

      We believe that from the cross Jesus went down to Hell to bring back all souls of his people (Beginning with Adam all the way to the thief on the cross of his right side at crucifixion) to Paradise. Adam broke His commandment and brought sin and spiritual death to the world. Jesus Christ came down as a man and took all the punishment for the sins that began with Adam. Adam ate the fruit in the Garden of Eden, just as the sour wine given to Christ to drink as punishment. Adam disobeyed God causing Christ to endure beatings and sufferings. Adam was naked in Eden and they hung Christ naked (often a loincloth is seen on paintings and pictures of the crucifixion) on the cross. The blood shed by Jesus washed away the sins of Adam and the world. Christ was able to bring back His inheritance to Eden's Paradise. It was not a coincident that the cross of our Lord was placed on top of the tomb of Adam. The blood of Christ fell on the same ground where Adam was buried. This was the redemption God promised to Adam before he was cast out of Paradise.

      Very Rev. Fr. Joseph C. Joseph Corepiscopa