John Climacus

  • Mark Sedrak
    Message 1 of 6 , Apr 1, 2009
      And if you watch yourself early in the morning, at midday, and in the hour before dinner, you will discover the value of fasting, for in the morning your thoughts are lively, by the sixth hour they have grown quieter and by sundown they are finally calm.

      John Climacus
      From: The Ladder of the Divine Ascent
      http://orthodoxbookstore.ecrater.com/product.php?pid=3018511
    • Mark Sedrak
      Message 2 of 6 , Jun 8, 2009
        Let us seek to discover the things of heaven through the sweat of our efforts, rather than by mere talk, for at the hour of death it is deeds, not words, that must be displayed.

        John Climacus
      • Mark Sedrak
        Message 3 of 6 , Nov 8, 2010
          Some labor and struggle hard to earn forgiveness, but better than these is the man who forgets the wrongs done to him. Forgive quickly and you will be abundantly forgiven.

          John Climacus
        • Mark Sedrak
          Message 4 of 6 , Dec 5, 2010
            The effort of bodily prayer can help those not yet granted real prayer of the heart. I am referring to the stretching out of the hands, the beating on the chest, the sincere raising of the eyes heavenward, deep sighs and constant prostrations. But this is not always feasible when other people are present, and this is when the demons particularly like to launch an attack and, because we have not yet the strength of mind to stand up against them and because the hidden power of prayer is not yet within us, we succumb. So go somewhere apart, if you can, hide for a while in some secret place. If you can, lift up the eyes of your soul, but if not, the eyes of your body. Stand still with your arms in the shape of the cross so that with this sign you may shame and conquer your Amalek (Exodus 17:11).

            John Climacus, Ladder of Divine Ascent
          • Mark Sedrak
            Message 5 of 6 , Mar 25, 2012
              Be zealous within your soul, without showing it in the least, either by visible sign or by word, or by hint. And you will only do this when you stop looking down at your neighbor.

              John Climacus, The Ladder of divine Ascent
              Daily Lenten Meditations for the Orthodox Christian
            • Mark Sedrak
              Message 6 of 6 , Aug 27 3:23 PM
                We ought to be on our guard, in case our conscience has stopped troubling us, not so much because of its being clear, but because of its being immersed in sin. ... A 'good' conscience is one that stands ready to convict oneself immediately with shame. There IS a difference between a 'good' conscience and a 'clear' conscience. The clear one can be dead or deceived.

                John Climacus, Ladder of Divine Ascent
                http://orthodoxbookstore.ecrater.com/p/3018511/john-climacus-the-ladder-of-divine