Curses in our prayers

  • Paul Reji
    Message 1 of 5 , Apr 8, 2009
      SOC prayers are wonderful. They are full praises, gratitude, love with God. There is more focus on our Love and Thanks and even we express Solidarity to our Lord's suffering.

      But the daily prayer ( and even Good Friday prayers ) have lots of curses on Jews. and they have been called wicked, devilish in our prayers. I feel bad about it.

      Let us look at the Quamo for Wednesday

      "Those who were willing to kill You, be condemned on Your Judgment Day. But people who acknowledged You and Your Suffering, be enter your Kingdom"

      Who am I to suggest to Lord to condemn someone! More importantly can we curse the Jews ?

      I don't want to justify their act. They really represent us in cruelty. We are no different from them in terms or sins or in terms of our Love for God. ( They did not Love Him; we pretend we Love Him)

      Second, Lord was NOT killed by them. Lord chose this Himself. (For which we should be extremely thankful ( I am not sure if I expressed size of that thank-fullness by that statement ) and be so loving to Him for the love He showed on us.

      But when God Himself forgave those people, we keep cursing them. Did God punish them? I don't know, but their life for almost 2000 years after Lord's suffering was full of suffering and tear.

      I think we should revaluate this prayer part, otherwise such a wonderful and complete prayer.

      As again, I am no priest. So I am not even sure if I can make a suggestion like this. God forgive me.

      Regards
      Paul
      901
    • Joseph
      Message 2 of 5 , Apr 9, 2009
        I ALSO FEEL THE SAME, IT IS HIGH TIME TO CORRECT SUCH CURSING WORDS IN OUR GOOD FRIDAY PRAYERS AND OTHERS

        regards,

        Joseph
      • Abraham Kurian
        Message 3 of 5 , Apr 10, 2009
          Dear Paul,

          This concern expressed by you was felt by me some time ago. I was not able to understand it back then and even now it is difficult to fully understand. I am not a theologian or learned in this matter but I wish to share my thoughts on this

          1. Confusion about the 'Jews' referred to in the prayers

          To the best of my understanding, this refers to the Jews who were actively part of and responsible for the crucifixion of Christ. It does not refer to the entire Jewish Community as we see it today. Even in our prayers we do not blame the entire Jewish community but only those who denied the Messiah.

          2. Responsibility for the death of Christ.

          It may be a little mistaken to just absolve the Jews at the time of the death of Christ, by claiming the argument of the whole event being "God's will". If we accept this there is always the risk of extending this argument to saying that the Romans are not responsible, Judas is not responsible, the High Priests are not responsible etc.

          3. The specific prayer you refer to.

          > "Those who were willing to kill You, be condemned on Your Judgment Day. But people who acknowledged You and Your Suffering, be enter your Kingdom"
          > Who am I to suggest to Lord to condemn someone! More importantly can we curse the Jews ?

          is not a suggestion to God to condemn someone. We are stating that we believe that those who were willing to kill Him will be condemned. Just as we state those who believe and confess in Him will be saved.

          4. Error in overlooking the contributions of Church Fathers.

          Most or all of our prayers are written by Church fathers who have done so after long periods of meditation and prayer along with inspiration from the God Almighty. We can and must trust in their wisdom. We may be even unworthy of suggesting a correction to their work. If this truly needs to be corrected then God will inspire our spiritual superiors to correct it.

          Historically speaking the charge of Deicide (Killing of God) that was cast on the Jews led to conditions that were tough on them for a series of centuries in Europe. Kerala was one of the few places in the world where Jews were not at all actively persecuted. It is a matter of credit for us and our ancestors. We need not carry on the the burden of the Western world or their sense of guilt at how they treated the Jews.

          Thanks again for raising this issue.

          Wishing you a blessed Easter.

          Prayers and regards
          Abraham Kurian
          1011

          --- In SOCM-FORUM@yahoogroups.com, Paul Reji wrote:

          > SOC prayers are wonderful. They are full praises, gratitude, love with God. There is more focus on our Love and Thanks and even we express Solidarity to our Lord's suffering.
          >
          > But the daily prayer ( and even Good Friday prayers ) have lots of curses on Jews. and they have been called wicked, devilish in our prayers. I feel bad about it.
        • Binu Aramath
          Message 4 of 5 , Apr 13, 2009
            Re: Curses in our prayers,

            I thought about this topic as I attended the Good Friday service this year. We are taken through most of the events that occurred on that day during the Good Friday Service. If we are concentrating and embedded in the service we will have emotions that arise as a result (anger, sadness etc.) because of the happenings that day. The content in the readings and songs reflect these feelings that people would naturally have if we were present during Jesus suffering.

            Binu Aramath
          • Kuriakose Koyikkal
            Message 5 of 5 , Apr 16, 2009
              Dear Brother in Christ,

              You may wish to access Message #9138 of Dr Paul Samuel which have a link to the writing by Chev Dr NA Ninan on this subject. Nurturing somewhat similar doubts, I felt it as an eye opener.
              Kindly read.

              With Prayers,
              Kuriakose Koyikkal
              St Mary's JSC, Singapore.