Re: Why is our fasting time lasting for 48 days not just 40 days

  • Babu Jacob Nadayil
    Message 1 of 5 , Apr 3 6:11 AM
      Dear Bijiachen,

      Thanks a lot. Great narration dear Achen. We need more involvement of members of the Clergy fold in this Forum. The joint or individual or coordinated attempts of H.E. Mor Dionysius Geevarghese (Manjanikkara), H.E.Mor Athanatius Geevarghese and respected priests like yourself are absolutely vital for clearing the doubts of the Forum members. Kindly keep up the good work.

      Requesting your prayers.

      Babu Jacob Nadayil
      New York

      --- In SOCM-FORUM@yahoogroups.com, Rev.Fr.Dr.Biji Chirathilattu wrote:

      > Why is our fasting time lasting for 48 days not just 40 days as all the predecessors of this fast in the bible or as in the catholic church. (They begin on Wednesday and the Sundays are excluded from fasting, thus forming just 40 days including the passion week.) Our church Father Bar Ebroyo presents the different arguments of various people regarding these extra eight days (*1). The first view is that these days are added as the Passion Week in order to persecute our bodies more. It is the Apostles who decided that the Passion Week and the feast of Resurrection should be observed after the forty days lent. Otherwise, this fast would have been finished with the Friday of the forty-day (of the lent). Some say it is because of the Saturdays and Sundays that we break in the fast time, that we fast more than forty days. Still others say that according to the ten percent of the number of the days of the year, we separate by fasts 36.5 days for the Lord. When we reduce the number of the Sundays and Saturdays that we break, from the number of the days from the evening of the Monday of the beginning of the fasts to the morning of the Easter Sunday, we get this number. In this respect Bar Ebroyo further cites from the "Second Book" of the "Holy Clement," which is the extensive Syriac canon collection known as the "Clementinian Octateuch" (*2). The first two books of it contain the fifth century ecclesiastical order, "Testamentum Domini." Bar Ebroyo puts down the referred canon of this work as follows: "The end of the 'Pascha' ("fesho"here used to denote the fast before Easter(*3) ) should happen after Saturday, namely at midnight(*4)." Bar Ebroyo interprets the word 'midnight' as follows: "So that the one tenth part of those five days, that are missing to complete the whole year also will be added (*5)." It means that the 36 fasting days unto the Saturday of the Passion Week form just one tenth of the 360 days. From the five days, which are absent to form a full year, 10% will be taken, and it results in an additional half fasting day. That is why the Great Fast is not ended on the beginning of the Easter Sunday, which begins on the Saturday evening as any other day according to the Syrian calculation of times, but only at the mid-night with the celebration of the resurrection of Christ. Bar Ebroyo evaluates these arguments as well and concludes that only the first one is the genuine reason (*6).
    • Rev. Fr. Biji Chirathilattu
      Message 2 of 5 , Apr 16 9:11 PM
        Dear Paul Reji,

        Thanks for your response. Sorry for the late reply. I was in Italy for the passion week.

        It is strictly forbidden by the chruch fathers to fast without eating anything on saturdays and sundays. Hoodaya canon instructs that anybody who fasts on Saturdays and Sundays during the great lent should be separated form the church. Bar Ebroyo explains the the reason for this is the words of Jesus in Math 9:15 that the children of the bridechamber cannot fast as long as the bidegrom is with them. In the great lent Holy Qurbono can be celebrated and recieved only on Saturdays and sundays. When we are partaking in the communion, our Bridegroom, the Lord is coming and staying in us. So it is not allowed to fast without food on saturdays and sundays. But Bar Ebroyo clearly warns that no body should hurry up in the morning itself to eat on those days but eat just after the Holy Qurbana at the thrid hour. Likewise it is allowed to eat only the fasting cost even on those days. (no products on animals)

        Belated easter wishes to all the readers. Yes, our Lord has truely ressurected from the dead! Yeshu moran koum men Kabr.

        Fr. Biji Chirathilattu

        --- In SOCM-FORUM@yahoogroups.com, Paul Reji wrote:

        > Fr. Biji
        >
        > Thank you for this timely explanation. I have one doubt though,
        >
        > "Some say it is because of the Saturdays and Sundays that we break in the fast time,"
        >
        > So what is the status of Sundays and Saturday?
        >
        > We have no Lent? or we have Lent but no fasting? But Lent means
        > fasting too right?
      • Varghese
        Message 3 of 5 , Apr 19 8:14 AM
          Dear Fr. Biji Chirathilattu

          Will you please explain me little more about fasting on Saturdays and
          Sundays during the great lent?

          It is strictly forbidden by the church fathers to fast without eating
          anything on Saturdays and Sundays. -

          Hoodaya canon instructs that anybody who fasts on Saturdays and Sundays during the great lent should be separated from the church. (this is a new information to me)

          Bar Ebroyo explains the the reason for this is the words of Jesus in
          Math 9:15 that the children of the bride chamber cannot fast as long as the bide groom is with them.

          In the great lent Holy Qurbono can be celebrated and recieved only on
          Saturdays and sundays. Why on Saturdays and Sundays? And why not other days?

          When we are partaking in the communion, our Bridegroom, the Lord is
          coming and staying in us. So it is not allowed to fast without food on
          saturdays and sundays. But Bar Ebroyo clearly warns that no body should hurry up in the morning itself to eat on those days but eat just after the Holy Qurbana at the thrid hour. Likewise it is allowed to eat only the fasting cost even on those days. (No products on animals)

          Regards,
          Varghese
          St.Marys Jacobite Syrian Church
          Vazhamuttom