Receiving Holy Communion

  • Toms Abraham
    Message 1 of 1 , Apr 3, 2009
      Sir,
      My name is Toms Abraham and I am a member of Mor Gregoreous Jacobite Syrian Orthodox church, Jaipur.

      I am having a small doubt regarding receiving Holy Communion. Can a Syrian Christian receive Holy Communion from the Roman Catholic church under the holy see of HH Pope in Vetican? Is there any mutual understanding between the two sects of christianity regarding receiving Holy Communion?

      I faced this problem when i was in pune regarding a business trip. Due to shortage of time i went to St. Patrick Cathedral near my office where i was refused to receive the holy communion. I was told by a priest there to covert into Roman Catholic which i refused.
      I request you to please reply through email regarding the matter. I will be greatly obliged if you publish the said agreement between the two sects in the journal "Vision"

      thanking you
      yours faithfully

      Toms Abraham
      member - 4161
      Mor Gregorious Jacobite Syrian Orthodox Church
      Jaipur

      Moderator's note:

      Dear Brother Toms,

      Syriac Orthodox Church under Patriarch of Antioch has made declaration with Roman Catholic church for partial inter-communion in unavoidable situations for the believers of both churches. As per the said declaration you should be able to receive communion from Roman Catholic church. In some cases the priest of RC or SOC are not aware of this declaration and that is probably the reason for refusing to give communion to you. The details of the said declarations can be found in the following resources:

      http://sor.cua.edu/Ecumenism/rc.html
      http://www.prounione.urbe.it/dia-int/oo-rc_syrindia/doc/i_oo-rc_syrindia_1984.html

      Acta Apostolicae Sedis 85, 3 (1993) 238-241 and Information Service 55 (1984/II-III) 61-63)