Name of ST. OSTHATHEOS SLEEBA included

  • SOCM News Bureau
    Message 1 of 8 , Apr 1, 2009
      March 30, 2009: The historical Patriarchal bull permitting to recite the name of St. Sleeba Mor Osthatheos, in the 5th Tubden, in all the Malankara Syrian Orthodox churches worldwide has been issued by His Holiness Ignatius Zakka-I Iwas. The said declaration has been intimated to the Malankara churches by Catholicos His Beatitude Mor Baselios Thomas I through his bull read in churches on March 29, 2009. The name of St. Sleeba Mor Osthatheos will henceforth be recited after the name of St. Gregorios Abded' Jaleel.

      Among the 28 church fathers now remembered in the 5th Tubden, St. Sleeba Mor Osthatheos is one among the five primates whose sacred remains are interred in Malankara. The other four primates remembered in the tubden and entombed in Malankara, are Patriarch St. Ignatius Elias III (Manjinikkara, 1932), Maphryono St. Baselios Yeldho (Kothamangalam, 1685), St. Gregorios Geevarghese Chathuruthil (Parumala, 1902) and St. Gregorios `Abded Jaleel (North Paravur, 1681)).

      The names of other declared saints of Malankara, the Malankara Metropolitan St. Athanasius Paulose (Thrikkunnath Seminary, Alwaye), Maphryono St. Baselios Shakralla (Kandanad), St. Koorilos Yuyakkim (Mulanthuruthy) and Malankara Metropolitan St. Koorilos Paulose (Panampady) are remembered in the respective churches where their sacred remains are interred.

      It was in 2000, the Patriarch Ignatius Zakka I Iwas, through bull dated 4th April, canonized Mor Osthatheos Sleebo and Mor Gregorios`Abded Galeel, thereby permitting to recite the 'Quqalya' hymns and prayers of the 'Zadeeqo' (saints) at their tombs and beseech their intercession (Patriarchal Encyclical dated April 9th, 2000). Later in 2005, the bull allowing to recite the name of St. Osthatheos Sleeba, in the 5th 'Tubden' (diptych), read in Arthat St. Mary's Simhasana Church where the mortal remains of the holy father is interred, was issued and now through the latest historical bull His Holiness the Patriarch has allowed to recite the holy father's name in all the Malankara Syrian churches.

      For more details, please visit
      http://www.syrianchurch.org/

      PHOTOS:
      79th Dukrono of St. Osthatheos Sleeba
      Celebrations held at the Arthat St. Mary's Simhasana Church, Kunnamkulam, where the mortal remains of the holy father is interred

      Sunday, March 22, 2009 - Feast day http://www.syrianchurch.org/Photos/DukStSleebOsth2009_2/index.html

      Saturday, March 21, 2009
      http://www.syrianchurch.org/Photos/DukStSleebOsth2009_1/index.html
    • Alex
      Message 2 of 8 , Apr 4, 2009
        Dear All,

        Earlier in June 2008 I have send a number of questions raised by my IO friends to the forum, and happy to see at least two among them got answered through the forum.

        Pls refer to the third paragraph of the answer in the present context... With all the reverence to Mor Ostathios Sleeba and seeking the Saints' intercession, let me point to the same question again.. Why the name of Saint Athnasious Paulose not yet?

        My strong desire for an answer may be because I feel that without Saint Athnasious Paulose I might not have born as a member of the church under the Great Throne of Antioch but may be as a member under an imitation of the same in the 20th century by some vested minds and marketed by a more vested media (the so claimed throne of Kanjikuzhy-Devalokam).

        I expect an answer from authoritative sources in the church this time about why the name of Saint Athnasious of Aluva not yet? Or shall be forced to believe that there is an Indian-Syrian distinction in some minds in the universal church, though not in the manner which IOCians propagate...

        Regards,

        Alex
      • Isaac K Joseph
        Message 3 of 8 , Apr 28, 2009
          Dear brother

          Who care what IO Church or its members think? No one can straighten the tail of a dog. You cannot satisfy them with any answer or explanation. The so called Pvt. Ltd church is born in lie and dispute and they will stay in it. It is the fate of the trapped poor faithful. They are guided and lead by the business magnets not by any spiritual leaders.

          In Syrian Orthodox Church all saints are having equal status regardless they are remembered in 5th Tubden or not. When time comes all saints names will be included one by one in 5th Tubden. It is not as per our wish, it is as per the wish of the Holy Spirit. Until then us faithful have to wait. It is His time and His wish.

          In Christ
          Isaac K Joseph
          # 0917

          --- In SOCM-FORUM@yahoogroups.com, Alex wrote:

          > Dear All,
          >
          > Pls refer to the third paragraph of the answer in the present context... With all the reverence to Mor Ostathios Sleeba and seeking the Saints' intercession, let me point to the same question again.. Why the name of Saint Athnasious Paulose not yet?
          >
          > My strong desire for an answer may be because I feel that without Saint Athnasious Paulose I might not have born as a member of the church under the Great Throne of Antioch but may be as a member under an imitation of the same in the 20th century by some vested minds and marketed by a more vested media (the so claimed throne of Kanjikuzhy-Devalokam).
          >
          > I expect an answer from authoritative sources in the church this time about why the name of Saint Athnasious of Aluva not yet? Or shall be forced to believe that there is an Indian-Syrian distinction in some minds in the universal church, though not in the manner which IOCians propagate...
          >

          > Regards,
          >
          > Alex

        • J M Paul
          Message 4 of 8 , Apr 29, 2009
            Dear Alex,

            In every church there is a formality to canonize a saint and to be included into the 5th Tubden (for SOC). In catholic Church St. Alphonsa was declared a saint way decades back, but intercession(officially) has been initiated only in the last year. Similarly Mor Ostathios Sleeba was declared a saint during the 2000 visit of the Patriarch but his name included in the 5th Tubden after 9 years. If IOC allegations are correct then Patriarch should have included Sakralla Mor Baselious and Mor Yulious' (Mulanthuruthy) names, who have been declared as saints during the last visit of Patriarch to Malankara, in the 5th Tubden along with Mor Sleeb, but given right only to those churches wherein the saints are entombed. These two saints had come from Sheema, not an Indian. And their name will be included in the 5 Tubden later along with Mor Athanasious of Aluva and Mor Kurilous of Panampady who have also been declared as saints .

            J M Paul
          • Mathew G M
            Message 5 of 8 , Apr 30, 2009
              Unlike the Roman Catholic Church, there is no canonization procedure in the Syriac Orthodox Church. It is only in India, we have this canonization procedure that we have copied from the Roman Catholics. Actually it was first adopted by the Methran Kakshi when Baselious Geevarghese II Bava canonized Parumala Thirumeni and Kothamangalam Bava.

              If I am right, when a request was made by the Malankara Church to H.H Elias III Patriarch to officially Canonize Kothamangalam Bava, he was reluctant to do so because there was no such custom in the church to formally canonize anybody.

              If I am wrong, I stand to be corrected by other members.

              Mathew G M
              # 0929

              --- In SOCM-FORUM@yahoogroups.com, J M Paul wrote:

              > Dear Alex,
              >
              > In every church there is a formality to canonize a saint and to be included into the 5th Tubden (for SOC).
            • Chev. Thomas Daniel
              Message 6 of 8 , Apr 30, 2009
                Dear All

                In the Syriac tradition, historically there was no custom of "officially" canonizing a saint as in the Latin (Roman Catholic) tradition. Saints are regarded as holy by popular acclaim, rather than by decree. Many saints were regarded holy in the locales they lived in; some of them acquired the status of universal saints. Mor Ya`qub, bishop of Edessa, who compiled the diptychs (toob deyn) in the seventh century immortalized the names of some of the greatest of the Fathers who lived before him. The Church in the Near East has not added or detracted from this list to date. Thus we do not find the names of the great fathers of the Church such as Patriarch Mikhayel Rabo or Maphroyono Gregorius Bar `Ebroyo who lived in later centuries in the fifth diptych. The additions permitted by HH Patriarch Mor Zakka I exclusively for the Malankara Church, are unprecedented in the history of the church.

                In HIS Love
                Chev. Thomas Daniel (Reji)
                # 001

                --- In SOCM-FORUM@yahoogroups.com, J M Paul wrote:

                > Dear Alex,
                >
                > In every church there is a formality to canonize a saint and to be included into the 5th Tubden (for SOC).
              • Dr. George Kunju John
                Message 7 of 8 , May 1, 2009
                  Dear Every one,

                  The discussion on the subject is inapt as the decision should come from Holy Synod. When HH Moran took an unprecedantant decision to declare saints in the Malanakara Church it was welcomed by us. Moran accepted the cannonisation as it was seen not against the faith; albeit traditons. Now that the concept is accpeted and practised its unquestioned implimentation would be necessary. No one can think a seccondary postion to St Athanasious our beloved valia thirumeni among the saints. The college of saints is the noncontested strength of the church for its spiritual uplift. Today several church leaders use them for money collection. Their prayers will certainly help the needy who submit their demands in front of our Lord. Open up their tomb for all those who seek their intercessions.

                  Once Malankara Syrian Church has been given a Catholicos. HB can make the Synod agree for such spiritual requirements of Malankara Church. It is better to isolate such issues from an open discussion which may create several arguments for and against. However; I wish and pray Valia thirumeni will be remembered in the 5th tubden soon.

                  with prayers

                  Dr.George Kunju John
                  ID 0209

                  --- In SOCM-FORUM@yahoogroups.com, Mathew G M wrote:

                  > Unlike the Roman Catholic Church, there is no canonization procedure in the Syriac Orthodox Church. It is only in India, we have this canonization procedure that we have copied from the Roman Catholics. Actually it was first adopted by the Methran Kakshi when Baselious Geevarghese II Bava canonized Parumala Thirumeni and Kothamangalam Bava.
                  >
                  > If I am right, when a request was made by the Malankara Church to H.H Elias III Patriarch to officially Canonize Kothamangalam Bava, he was reluctant to do so because there was no such custom in the church to formally canonize anybody.
                  >
                  > If I am wrong, I stand to be corrected by other members.
                • Anoop Mani
                  Message 8 of 8 , May 4, 2009
                    Dear brothers,

                    I think what the Syrian Orthodox church is practising is absolutely right.  There is no meaning in following any custom or procedure and canonize a person as a saint. A person shouldnot be declared as a saint by human beings but only by God Almighty, We the members of the church can beg for the intercession of any of our deceased fathers because their physical appearance have only changed they are alive and still with us. They can pray for us also. Canonization and declaration only started in the 20th century.

                    Anoop