Run in the Rain

  • Mark Sedrak
    Message 1 of 1 , Mar 27, 2009
      Run in theRain
      By Bob Perks

      She had been shopping with her Mom inWal-Mart. She must have been 6years old, this beautiful red-haired,freckle-faced image of innocence.

      It was pouring outside -- the kind ofrain that gushes over the top of raingutters, so much in a hurry to hit theearth that it has no time to flow downthe spout. We all stood thereunder the awning and just inside thedoor of the Wal-Mart. We waited,some patiently, others irritated becausenature messed up their hurried day.

      I am always mesmerized by rainfall. I got lost in the sound and sight of theheavens washing away the dirt and dustof the world. Memories of running,splashing so carefree as a child, camepouring in as a welcome reprieve fromthe worries of my day.

      Her voice was so sweet as it broke thehypnotic trance we were all caught in. "Mom, let's run through the rain," shesaid. "What?" Mom asked. "Let's run through the rain!" sherepeated. "No, honey. We'llwait until it slows down a bit," Momreplied. This young child waitedabout another minute and repeated: "Mom, let's run through the rain." "We'll get soaked if we do," Mom said. "No we won't, Mom. That's not whatyou said this morning," the young girlsaid as she tugged at her Mom's arm. "This morning? When did I say wecould run through the rain and not getwet?" "Don't you remember? When you were talking to Daddy about hiscancer, you said, 'If God can get usthrough this, he can get us throughanything!'"

      The entire crowd stopped dead silent. I swear you couldn't hear anything butthe rain. We all stood silently. No one came or left in the next fewminutes. Mom paused and thoughtfor a moment about what she would say. Now some would laugh it off and scoldher for being silly. Some mighteven ignore what was said. Butthis was a moment of affirmation in ayoung child's life, a time when innocenttrust can be nurtured so that it willbloom into faith. "Honey, you areabsolutely right. Let's runthrough the rain. If GOD lets usget wet, well maybe we just neededwashing," Mom said. They off theyran.

      We all stood watching, smiling andlaughing as they darted past the carsand yes, through the puddles. Theyheld their shopping bags over theirheads just in case. They gotsoaked. But they were followed bya few who screamed and laughed likechildren all the way to their cars. And yes, I did. I ran too. Igot wet. I guess I needed washing.

      Circumstances or people can take awayyour material possessions, they can takeaway your money, and they can take awayyour health. But no one can evertake away your precious memories. So don't forget to make time and takethe opportunities to make memories everyday. I hope you will take time torun through the rain!