Reconciliation during Lent

  • Saju Varghese
    Message 1 of 1 , Mar 12, 2009
      During Lent we turn to God and ask that we be changed. Our fasting in Lent is a prayer for a change of heart. That change of heart is of God’s making not our own. Fasting is something that has become unpopular in past years. Perhaps it is something to rediscover not as a means of losing weight but a sign of our desire to fast from sin.

      Lent is a time during which we not only clean up our lives because of our ambiguities (our 'yes’s' and our 'no’s'), but we also clarify our vision. Our minds need to be sorted out by contemplating the person of Jesus and everything he stands for. He stands for the big 'Yes' to God. He endorses it throughout his ministry and particularly his journey to Calvary and his breaking out of the grip of death to live to God and to enable us to do the same. The Christian life is about that. Being the body of Christ, his Church, we are called to live his 'Yes'."

      This is the moment for resolutions which will affect our lives in a real way; not just our physical state, but the whole of our lives, spiritual, physical, emotional, intellectual, the lot. Lent is the opportunity offered to us so that we can take stock of our relationship with the Lord, with the Church and with our sisters and brothers, recognise what needs attention and, with the grace of God, move forward in that knowledge.

      We could consider seriously the idea of the Sacrament of Reconciliation during Lent. The Sacrament, which is still usually called ‘confession’, is one part of the Church’s practice that has seen perhaps the greatest decline.

      Saju Varghese