Holy Syriac Orthodox Church and the Roman Catholic Rosary

  • Apu Jose
    Message 1 of 3 , Mar 6, 2009
      Dear readers,

      These days I see increasing no of Syriac Orthodox (and for that matter India "Orthodox") people adopting this Roman catholic practice of praying the Rosary.I have even noticed once a Rev Deacon of our Church wearing rosary. I feel they should be taught in the Seminary all the true practices of our Church , so that the laity seeing these things are not misled.

      I always feel that this is against the Holy faith of the Holy church.They give a Roman Catholic view of St Mary which ,I guess does not wholly conform to the Oriental Orthodox view. In Rosary ,they use the Crucifix (Cross with statue of Jesus nailed to it ) and not the orthodox Easter cross. They also use the statue of St Mary rather than the Picture of St Mary with the child Jesus (which is used by Oriental Orthodox Christians).

      Some of the prayers that make up the Roman practice of the Rosary. We have those because they are Biblical:
      The Lord's Prayer
      Hail Mary

      The main reason we don't have this tradition is because the practice of the Rosary has a larger emphasis on Mary than Christ. We have similar prayer traditions though. They tend to focus on saying the prayer "Lord have mercy," which is directed to Christ.

      If anybody of this forum has anything to add or correct in this subject, I humbly request you to do the same as soon as possible.

      With prayers,
      Apu Jose
      Bhubaneswar, Orissa
      4096
    • Mathew Thomas
      Message 2 of 3 , Mar 9, 2009
        Dear Mr. Apu Jose,

        Thank you for your observation regarding Syrian Odthodox Members wearing Rosary. I too feel that this is a Catholic tradition. First of all our Syrian Orthodox members should realise that God is Omnipresent, Omnicient & Omnipotent. If we have very good faith on God we don't need to wear or use any sign or symbol for the protection or presence of God. I do admit that wearing a normal cross along with the chain on the neck which will be a symbol of Christian faith.

        Also we do believe in Mother Mary because she is the mother of our God Jesus Christ. By the birth of Jesus Christ only Mother Mary became the Holy Mother.

        With prayers,

        Mathew Thomas Kannathumuriyil,
        3673
        BAE Systems, Muscat - Oman

        --- In SOCM-FORUM@yahoogroups.com, Apu Jose wrote:

        > Dear readers,
        >
        > These days I see increasing no of Syriac Orthodox (and for that matter India "Orthodox") people adopting this Roman catholic practice of praying the Rosary.I have even noticed once a Rev Deacon of our Church wearing rosary. I feel they should be taught in the Seminary all the true practices of our Church , so that the laity seeing these things are not misled.

      • S Chandy
        Message 3 of 3 , Mar 9, 2009
          Dear Apu,

          What ever we say, Rosary prayer gives a lot of grace, and we can see that in terms of spirituality and mission Catholoc church is much higer than us. So I think there is no harm in rosary prayer as it has the power to grand grace from GOD.

          regds
          S Chandy