An Appeal from St. Mary's Jacobite Syrian Orthodox Church, Baroda.

  • Johnson
    Message 1 of 4 , Mar 5, 2009
      Dear All brothers & Sisters,

      Shlomo in HIS Holy Name.

      We the St.Mary's JSOC Parish in Baroda are struggling to have a place of worship of our own. During the past we had to run from pillar to post to get a place on lease to conduct the holy mass. We used a Methodist school, a CNI church, the community center of Catholic church etc. to conduct the holy services. Since 2003 we are using a prayer hall on the rooftop of our Vicar's house as the place of worship. We are thankful to the honorary services of Rev..Fr.DR..C.P Varghese for his broad heartedness and love towards the church.

      Baroda is a fast growing city in the western belt. It is rich in culture and educational Institutions and also a hub of Engineering and Chemical Industries. Lot of our youngsters keep on coming to this city for jobs and trainings. Since we do not have a permanent church or institutions they tend to join the IOC churches. Unfortunately about 50% of the IOC church members are our people including the family members of some of our clergy. IOC have a big church of 500+ members, 4 chapels, 6 HS schools and other institutions where as we do not even have a chapel of ours. We are only a handful of people who stick to the true faith of the Holy Syriac Orthodox church. Many had parted ways and joined Marthoma and RC churches. This is the situation in many outside Kerala cities. Whenever a wedding is to be conducted we run after the RC or Methodist people for sanction to conduct the matrimony in their church.

      With GOD's mercy and blessings we have found a small place in the city and paid a small advance. Our newly formed Mumbai diocese's assistant metropolitan H.E Kuriakose Mor Eusebius has assured all the help in acquiring this piece of land. The initial cost of the project would be around Rs.30lacs.

      We all are middle level income people and it is difficult for us to raise the complete cost on our own. If we miss this opportunity this time we may not be able to dream for the same because day by day the realty prices are going up.

      Though a small parish, we have the permission to use the CNI cemetery. We conduct the Holy Eucharist on every alternate Sundays and on all Sundays during the great lent. We conduct all the main feasts, have a Sunday School in the name of St.Athanasius Valiya Thirumeni to teach the theology and history of the church to our handful children, we have regular prayer meetings and Bible Quizes and participate in all the ecumenical activities. We had the opportunity to welcome H. Eminences DR. Themotheos Thomas and DR. Sevarios Abraham in 2008.

      Since we all are parts of HIS body every member / parish should be caring for the other. We have many wealthy parish churches who do the work in their vicinity / area only but certainly this is not the mission which our Lord have given to us.

      We request all the faithful and well wishers of the church to contribute towards the project to own and build our own place of worship in Baroda.

      The cheques and DDs can be made in favor of
      `St. Mary's Jacobite Syrian Orthodox Church, Baroda' and send to

      Rev. Fr. DR. C.P Varghese
      Vicar, St. Mary's Jacobite Syrian Orthodox Church,
      `ANUGRAHA `,
      A-435, Saurabh Park,
      B/h Samta Flats,
      Subhanpura
      Baroda.
      Gujarat- 390023
      Tel : 0265-2394417/ 09998004257.

      In HIS love,

      Johnson
    • Vinod
      Message 2 of 4 , Mar 9, 2009
        Dear Johnson
        Is there any bank account to which money can be transferred, as it will be easier from outside India places
        Rgds
        Vinod
        4138

        Message 3 of 4 , Mar 12, 2009
          Dear brother in Christ,

          Please find below the account details of our church.

          A/c Name : 'St. Mary's Jacobite Syrian Orthodox Church, Baroda'
          A/c Number: 13350100022924
          Federal Bank, Baroda, India. IFS Code : FDRL0001335

          Praying for you and your family,

          In HIS Love,

          For SMJSOC, Baroda
          Johnson.

          Message 4 of 4 , Mar 20, 2009
            Dear Moderators,

            Please find the message updated with the account details.

[...]

            `St. Mary's Jacobite Syrian Orthodox Church, Baroda' and send to the address given below this message.

            Those who want to transfer the funds electronically please find the account details as below.