Evagrius

  • Mark Sedrak
    Message 1 of 5 , Feb 3, 2009
      Do not pray for the fulfillment of your wishes, for that may not be in accord with the will of God. But pray as you have been taught, saying: Thy will be done in me (Luke 22:42). Always entreat Him in this way, that His will be done. For He desires what is good and profitable for you, whereas you do not always ask for this.

      Often when I have prayed I have asked for what I thought was good, and persisted in my petition, stupidly importuning the will of God, and not leaving it to Him to arrange things as He knows is best for me. But when I have obtained what I have asked for, I have been very sorry that I did not ask for the will of God to be done, because the thing turned out not to be as I thought.

      Evagrius � On Prayer
      http://orthodoxbookstore.ecrater.com/product.php?pid=2940613

      Taken from: Through the Year with the Church Fathers
      http://orthodoxbookstore.ecrater.com/product.php?pid=3124672
    • Mark Sedrak
      Message 2 of 5 , Jul 9, 2009
        The passions of the soul derive from men; the passions of the body derive from the body. The passions of the body are cut back by self-control; those of the soul are cut back by spiritual love. - Evagrius

        From: The Praktikos
      • Mark Sedrak
        Message 3 of 5 , Aug 30 9:48 PM
          He who wishes to pray truly must not only control his incisive power and his desire, but must also free himself from every impassioned thought.

          Evagrius, On Prayer, Philokalia Volume 1
        • Mark Sedrak
          Message 4 of 5 , Feb 21, 2011
            Picture both these states: lament and weep for the sentence passed on sinners; mourn while you are doing this, frightened that you too may be among them. But rejoice and be glad at the blessings that await the righteous, and aspire to enjoy them and to be delivered from the torments of hell.

            Evagrius
          • Mark Sedrak
            Message 5 of 5 , Feb 15, 2012
              Hatred for the demons contributes greatly to our salvation and is convenient for working at virtue, though we are not strong enough by ourselves to rear it up like a good child. This is because the pleasure-loving spirits corrupt virtue and call the soul back to friendship and habit.

              Evagrius, On Thoughts