Re:The Significance of the Nineveh Nombu for us today

  • Anoop Mani
    Message 1 of 4 , Feb 3, 2009
      It is very appreciable that nowadays our Bishops are writing in the forum. When spiritual doubts rises among our faithful if our Bishops are coming forward to clear it, that will influence the faithful to a great extent. The note given by H E Mor Deevannasios was authoritative. The message of H E Mor Koorilos regarding Ninuve lent is also very informatiive. We are really thanks to our Bishops.

      Anoop
    • H.E. Geevaghese Mor Coorilose
      Message 2 of 4 , Jan 24, 2010
        Dear all in Christ

        Although the least in terms of the number of days of fast,
        the "Nineveh Nombu" is one of the most important fasts in the Syrian
        Orthodox Church tradition.

        Fasting is meant to be a sign of our giving up of our ego
        or `selves' for the sake of others. They are, in other words,
        occasions of self-emptying or `kenosis' of which the supreme example
        is Jesus Christ himself (Phil.2).

        Prayer and fasting are two cardinal corner stones of a Christian
        life. The what , the why and the how of prayer and fasting are
        clearly explicated in the Sermon on the Mount (Mt.6). Prophet Isaiah
        brings home to us the concrete manifestation of a genuine spiritual
        life, itself rooted in prayer and fasting.

        Exposing the hypocrisy and the pseudo-spirituality of the people of
        his time, the prophet challenges them to observe lent and fasting
        the way God wants them to observe it:

        Look, you fast only to quarrel and to fight
        And to strike with a wicked fist
        Such fasting as you do today
        Will not make your voice heard on High
        Is such the fast that I choose
        A day to humble oneself?
        Is it to bow down the head like a bulrush
        And to lie down in sackcloth and ashes?
        Will you call this a fast
        A day acceptable to the LORD?

        Is not this the fast that I choose
        To loose the bonds of injustice
        To undo the thongs of yoke
        Is it not to share your bread with the hungry
        And bring the homeless to your house
        ………(Is.58:4-7)

        Fasting is an occasion for us to live through the pain of poverty and
        starvation. For most of us, fasting has become an easy option
        of `dieting', which many of us do need to shed the extra kilos that
        gain, given that we all live in a consumerist society such as
        today's. As my own spiritual guru, the late lamented Yakoob Mar
        Themotheose thirumeni, taught me, fasting should enable us to feel
        the pain of hunger, which, in turn, will make us compassionate to
        the poor and the hungry. Unfortunately, we have lost this dimension
        of serving the poor some where along the lines. May this time
        of "Moonu Nombu" be a time for us to reclaim and recover this lost
        sense of charity and compassion towards the less privileged and the
        needy among us.

        The story of Jonah has many lessons for us. Let me highlight just
        one of them here. All human beings have some sense of pride and ego
        within themselves- a false sense of prestige. Prophets were no
        exception to this rule- Jonah certainly wasn't one. He knew that his
        obeying God's commandment to preach in Nineveh had some risks
        involved with it. He knew quite well that his God was a
        compassionate God. He was asked to bring the message of God's anger
        and wrath onto the people of Nineveh. He knew that when people would
        regret their ways of living and return to the LORD, they would be
        forgiven and redeemed. It happened exactly the way he `feared'. For
        Jonah it was a matter of great disappointment.

        His ego was hurt, his `name' affected and pride shaken. He wanted
        God to punish the people as he had prophesied so that `his' words
        would come true. But God thinks and acts beyond our perceptions and
        calculations. Jonah was much more concerned about his prophecy being
        fulfilled than God's compassion towards the people and their
        welfare. It is a clear case where even prophets get their priorities
        wrong. This, in fact, is a grave temptation for all of us,
        especially for those who work in the vineyard of the LORD- a desire
        to keep our `selves' in tact, to get our predictions right, even at
        the cost of the ruin of others around us. We should always strive
        for the wellbeing of others even if it comes at the expense of our
        pride and name.

        This is the challenge of all feasts, especially the Nineveh Nombu,
        to risk ourselves for the sake of the gospel and Christ,
        particularly for the poor and the downtrodden in whom Christ can be
        encountered in our daily lives.

        May God have mercy upon us, be gracious to us, and accept the fast of the Holy Church, as HE accepted the fast of the people of Nineveh and spared them.

        Koorilose Thirumeni
        http://www.niranamdiocese.org