Be watchful and alert!

  • Rev. Fr. Mani Rajan
    Message 1 of 1 , Feb 1 1:24 AM
      Dear all

      Nineveh fast is the shortest of all fasts. However, it is observed
      rigorously. Referring to the seeking of signs of the scribes and
      Pharisees, Jesus said ". . . no sign will be given to it except the
      sign of Prophet Jonah" (Mathew 12: 39-42). This has reference to the
      death and burial of Jesus Christ and that Jesus will be in the tomb
      for three days.

      The Nineveh fast probably originated in Urhoy (Edessa) in the third
      century and spread to other places. Mor Aphrem, the Syrian (d. 373)
      and Jacob of Sarug (d. 522) have composed poetry about the Nineveh
      fast. The Nineveh fast is a preparation to the fifty day fast.

      The book of Jonah should be read and meditated on these days. Jonah
      declared that Nineveh will be overthrown in forty days. The King of
      Nineveh proclaimed a fast and he himself covered with sackcloth, and
      sat in ashes. The people of Nineveh, beast, herd and flock observed
      the fast with all severity. We read in prayers that they did not
      even feed their babies. The children were asking their mothers about
      when they will die? God was pleased with their penitence. Thus, God
      had compassion on them and withdrew the punishment.

      Christian is like the Nineveh. He / she must turn away from the wicked ways and repent. Our life is like a ship (Church). We will have to throw away the luggage of "evil things" into the sea (world/flesh) and save our life.

      "When an unclean spirit goes out of a man, he goes through the
      dry places, seeking rest, and finds none. Then he says, I will
      return to my house from which I came. And when he comes, he finds it
      empty, swept, and put in order. Then he goes and takes with him
      seven other spirits more wicked than himself, and they enter and
      dwell there, and the last sate of the man is worse than the
      first . . ." (Mathew 12:43-45).

      Unless there is full-hearted repentance and the Holy Spirit dwells in a person, the expelled demon will return with many others and reoccupy its abode.

      So be watchful and alert!

      Fr. Mani Rajan