Indianising Christians of India or Seeds of Re-conversion

  • Shibu
    Message 1 of 2 , Jan 27, 2009
      Recently, I happened to see the Video of a cousin of mine's House-
      warming function.

      I am used to seeing the Ashaaree being invited to find the Ideal
      Location as per Vatsu Kala, deciding where the Kitchen-Fire-place
      has to be laid, Doors, Windows etc. has to be located etc. etc.,
      In fact, in one of the houses, the Ashaaree went on the suggest that
      an additional Door space has to carved out of the Central wall of
      the house, which already had one, in one of the corners. This
      Asharee is a completely uneducated person, who has managed to mug-up
      some Sanskrit shlokas and will club them with the current market
      scenario viz. Financial Failures, Continued Illness of any one
      member of the family, and depending on the will-power-less-ness of
      the host, will try to threaten with untimely death as a last resort,
      thereby making an impact in the house-hold.

      Coming back to the point, the House-warming of my cousin's house,
      which went quite well, what I saw, was the Asharee was blessing the
      Lady of the House, and in the Main Entrance, a plate with Banana,
      Apple etc. along with that a set of Aggarbatti was lit up. This is
      something which I have never seen in all my years in India, in any
      of the Christian functions, lighting a Nilavallakku is OK normal for
      us. In this case, lighting aggarbattis etc. in the Main Entrance
      and after all the functions are over from the Hindu side of
      ourselves, the Priest from our Church did the remaining function.

      Now the question is where do we draw the line, is this some sort of
      a self-imposition of the so called Indian cultural which is now
      getting mandatory for all Indians to have to prove his patriotism?
      I think this is getting a little too much towards the Hindu
      nationalism from the point of Indianising the Christian faith, of
      which the Indian Orthodox Christians area victim of already, and
      unfortunately entangled and unwilling to come out of due to their
      choosing the wrong side of history. If this is ignored now, within
      the next two generations, the process of Indianising will end up
      into Re-conversion of those who are dependent on the Hindus, trade-
      wise or in any other form.

      Your thoughts please on how to conduct our functions in a truly
      Syrian Orthodox manner, without being alienated.

      Shibu
      4119
    • Apu Jose
      Message 2 of 2 , Jan 29, 2009
        Dear readers,

        There are a lot of things that we follow which are actually related to Hindu concepts. It is okay to do many of them as we can find many such references in the Holy Bible also like lighting the lamp in the sanctuary of Lord in his Holy Temple which can be compared to "Nilavilakku " and also our Lord Jesus Christ is the True Light ,so it can be done as a rememberance of Him.

        Another thing we have done is Christianising the Hindu functions. Same way "minnu" ("thali " according to Hindus ) we use in marriages is according to Hindu customs but we have Christianised it by having the Holy Cross embossed on it rather than some Hindu idols.

        All these things are okay , but there are a whole lot of other customs which are totally against our Holy faith. These can be actually classified as SPIRITUAL ADULTERY. This is because the relationship between Lord and his Church (which is a congregation of each individual followers of Christ ) are described as a relation between a groom and the bride who is bethrothed to him . During the time period between the bethrotal and the marriage(Second Coming of our Lord) the bride (Holy Church which means each individual follower )has to remain faithful to groom (One true God -Holy Trinity) and not go after other men (other so called gods).Many people who find it repulsive to associate with physical adultery find it perfectly normal to associate with spiritual adultery which is a far more bigger sin . This happens when they do not want to hurt their friends or their associates but they find it okay to hurt Lord Jesus.

        I will try to list some of the things which should noy be done by a Syrian Orthodox faithful but this cancerous tumour of these kind of anti Christian activity is rampant among our faithful.
        1. Asari sthanum kanal
        2. Jatakam (astrology , horoscopes, sun signs)
        3. all kinds of superstitions like 3 people shold not go out together, palli chellakkuka, howling of dogs . there is an endless list
        4. Rahu kalam
        5. Samaya nootam for House farming and marriage
        6. Eating food offered to idols be it Prasadam, Aravana payasam or food from temples or mosques
        7. offering money to other religious functions and other religious places of worship
        8. Palmistry
        9. Mashi nottam
        10. In some our ancient Churches there is a practice of giving offerings to the temple which is mythically related to it
        11. Kadamattathu kathanar seva and praying to kadamattathu kathanar , offering arrack and cock sacrifice at his kinar (cave altar)
        It is high time we take strict action against this . In your case a person who has got kaiveppu (shrushushakan) only has the right to offer incense and that too with doopakutti and not with agarbattis.

        Apu jose
        Bhubaneswar