Holy Baptism of Christ

  • Eldo Varghese
    Message 1 of 7 , Jan 9, 2009
      Dear Moderator,

      Jesus is the son of God. He was born by the holy spirit. In such condition why he has taken Holy baptism. The gospel records that the holy spirit came like fire on Jesus at that time. Holy spirit was not with Jesus till that time?? Is it related to a new birth?? Is it relate to get the holy spirit?? But is Jesus require all this, as we common people.

      yours in Jesus
      Eldo Varghese(Eldo E V)
      # 4120
    • George Aramath
      Message 2 of 7 , Jan 10, 2009
        Eldo Varghese,

        This is a great question! Why does Jesus Christ need baptism if he's
        without sin?

        The answer is found by looking at a place we often don't: our baptism
        service! The songs we sing and the words we chant provides the
        answers. Unfortunately, I'm limited in my Malayalam, having grown up
        in the U.S., but here's what I've come across.

        The Kukoyo song that begins "Cher-thu salelam johan-nan sna-na-thinai" tells us, in the last stanza, that Christ took baptism for the sake of our sins.

        And this comes from Scripture, as does all of our services. As Christ comes to be baptized, John asks the same question. "I need to be baptized by you, and you come to me" (Matt. 3:14). Christ responds, ""Let it be so now; it is proper for us to do this to fulfill all righteousness" (v. 15). John the Baptist naturally asked why the spotless lamb needs baptism. And Christ responds with the reason for His incarnation. He takes on all through His incarnation, including baptism, to fulfill all righteousness of the Law. He is the perfect substitute who purifies all things. As the Orthodox Study Bible comments, "His baptism was necessary for the fulfillment of God's righteous plan of salvation. 'Jesus enters the filthy, sinful waters of the world and when He comes out, brings up and purifies the entire world with Him'".

        In our baptism service, we sing that through Christ's baptism, even
        the River Jordan has become blessed.

        There are many other reasons for His baptism, too:
        1) Through it, Christ is revealed as the Son of God by the Father and
        Holy Spirit.
        2) He shows us an example to follow
        3) He prefigured His own death, giving baptism its ultimate meaning
        Etc.

        As a side-note, many of our theological questions are answered by
        looking at our ancient church services which deals with that topic.
        Examining the songs, chants (Promieon, Sedro, etc.), and Scripture
        readings are a great starting point.

        George Aramath

        --- In SOCM-FORUM@yahoogroups.com, Eldo Varghese wrote:

        > Dear Moderator,
        >
        > Jesus is the son of God. He was born by the holy spirit. In such
        condition why he has taken Holy baptism. The gospel records that the
        holy spirit came like fire on Jesus at that time. Holy spirit was not
        with Jesus till that time?? Is it related to a new birth?? Is it
        relate to get the holy spirit?? But is Jesus require all this, as we
        common people.

        > yours in Jesus
        > Eldo Varghese(Eldo E V)
        > # 4120

      • Sajan
        Message 3 of 7 , Jan 12, 2009
          May be Christ was being ordained as a "bali vastu", sacrificial lamb,
          through the mamodisa he was getting ready for a sacrifice?

          ========================
          From the desk of the Moderator:

          (SOCM-FORUM-owner@yahoogroups.com)and obtain a member ID BEFORE POSTING ANY MORE MESSAGES in SOCM. Thank you for your cooperation .

          On Sun, Jan 11, 2009 at 9:51 AM, <GeorgeAramath> wrote:

          > Eldo Varghese,
          >
          > This is a great question! Why does Jesus Christ need baptism if he's
          > without sin?

        • Thomas Mann
          Message 4 of 7 , Jan 12, 2009
            Respected All,
            It was needed that, before Jesus starts his ministry the revelation of Holy Trinity to the humankind. The image of God as, Holy Father-Son-Sprit is been revealed towards the ministry to prove that Jesus is the Son of God, about whom the Prophets said before.

            Also, St Ignatius of Antioch's says that Jesus was baptized to purify the waters of baptism of New Testament.

            My question is, Is that the Son of God was born with 'Sin of Eden'?

            Similar to the New Testament baptism, is the John's Baptism was also done for remission of 'Sin of Eden' ?

            Looking forward to hear from learned members.

            In HIS love,
            Thomas Mann
            Marth Mariam Cathedral Kandanad,
            St Mary's JSO Cathedral Bangalore.
            ID # 972
          • Shinu Jesus Abraham
            Message 5 of 7 , Jan 13, 2009
              Greetings to All

              Let me add to these a few thoughts more.
              Was it only the Baptism of Christ that happened???? Because we
              sing ..

              "Aadyacharyathwam Kaikkondu Aahoron Moosayodonnichu…
              Scariyaakathunalkee Moosa, Scariyaa Yohannaaneki…
              Yohannan Karthavinnum… (How)… Karthaa than sleehanmaarkkum…
              Naana shrishtivibaaganlkkeki sleehanmaar…

              To my understanding it was the Levite priesthood (Ex:28-29) which
              God had given to Aahoron and Moosa given back to God exactly at the
              age of thirty (Ref -Num 4:2). It was the end of Old Testament and
              the start of New Testament. The Omnipresent God is only understood
              and seen by the human as and when He Himself reveals it to us and
              that was what happened on that day in Jordan. For thirty years it
              was a secret for the two families of John the Baptist and Jesus (do
              wonder what had happened with the Magi's and shepherds), but it was
              revealed to the whole world to see and believe on that day. The
              Christian baptism was only constituted by our Lord after his
              resurrection (Gospel of St. Mathew 28-19).

              Regards
              Shinu Jesus Abraham
              Member id # 2908

              Message 6 of 7 , Jul 28, 2009
                Dear Learned members,

                I have raised few questions on the subject few months back, here but not got any reply...So posting it again.

                My questions are, is Jesus Christ was born with the 'Sin of Eden'?

                Similar to the New Testament baptism, is Saint John was doing a remission to 'Sin of Eden' by his baptism?

                Looking forward to hear from learned members.

                In HIS love,
                Thomas Mann
                ID # 972
                Marth Mariam Cathedral Kandanad.
              • Rin Sam
                Message 7 of 7 , Jul 29, 2009
                  Dear Thomas Mann

                  Jesus was not born of man. Jesus is the Word (Logos) the Eternal son Of God who has come in Flesh. The Word become Flesh and dwelt among us (gospel john 1:14) the word become flesh to reveal the father. The baptism of John was for Repentance. Jesus' baptism was to reveal the trinity of God. Three persons in one Nature. Father is the unbegotten, son is the only begotten (1:18, 3:16, 18), and holy spirit proceeds from the father (15:26) Jesus Christ was The King, High priest and Prophet. When the word become flesh (Jesus the Eternal son Of God become man) Jesus was recognizing the Prophetic mission Of John the Baptist. Jesus was man as well as God at the same time. As a man he wanted to be like any other ordinary person (man)for his mission in this world. Jesus spoke about his baptism in Mark 10.38. He was Sacrificial Lamb of God to save people from sin or give eternal life to human beings.

                  The New Testament Baptism is The Baptism Jesus taught his Disciples. Mathew 28:18-19.John the Baptist told the multitude that Jesus Christ will Baptize you with Holy Spirit and Fire (luke3:15-16) The Christian Baptism is different from Repentance Baptism performed By John the Baptist.

                  It is clear that Jesus was born without sin as He is the Begotten son of the Eternal God Father. The Children of God were born not of Blood, nor the will of Flesh, nor the will of Man, But Of GOD.(john1:13)

                  With prayers
                  Rin Sam
                  ID#4038