Re: Question Regarding the candles in the Holy Madbaha

  • Varghese George
    Message 1 of 5 , Jan 4, 2009
      Hi Ullas,

      Thanks for your answer and it is new information.

      I would like to ask one more

      During our evening prayer (Sandya Parthana), we lightened one candle in the middle and after a session we use to lighten two candles on both sides and the other one is removed ?

      Regards
      Varghese George
    • George Aramath
      Message 2 of 5 , Jan 10, 2009
        Dear Varghese George,

        The explanation I've heard is more practical than symbolic. During
        the Evening or Ramsho prayers, one candle is used for lighting as
        night is approaching. And as the Compline or Sootoro prayers begin,
        two candles are lit for further lighting as it's later into the night.

        This is also a good place to mention that at times we overlook
        practical reasons as to why certain actions are performed. We tend
        sometimes to symbolize everything when it makes sense just on a
        practical level.

        George Aramath

        --- In SOCM-FORUM@yahoogroups.com, Varghese George wrote:

        > Hi Ullas,
        >
        > Thanks for your answer and it is new information.
        >
        > I would like to ask one more
        >
        > During our evening prayer (Sandya Parthana), we lightened one candle
        in the middle and after a session we use to lighten two candles on
        both sides and the other one is removed ?

        > Regards
        > Varghese George

      • Georgy S Thomas
        Message 3 of 5 , Jan 12, 2009
          Dear George Aramath,

          Indeed an elegant and simple answer. Very interesting too.

          Georgy S Thomas
          Bangalore
          id no. 3256