A piece of wisdom literature in Syriac

  • Aji Thomas David
    Message 1 of 1 , Jan 4, 2009
      The king of the Babylonians wrote and sent to the king of the
      Persians, and said to him:

      "Explain to me six sayings, and take from me three years' tribute,
      and if you do not answer them I will take from thee three years'
      tribute."

      Now the king wrote as follows:

      "What is heavier than a mountain, and what is hotter than fire; and
      what is sharper than a sword, and what is sweeter than honey, and
      what is fatter than a sheep's tail, and what is sure among created
      things?"

      The answer of the king of the Persians which he returned to the king
      of Babylonians:

      "That which is heavier than a mountain is deceit; that which is
      hotter than fire is the wrath of a man; that which is sharper than a
      sword is the tongue of a wicked woman; and that which is sweeter than
      honey is milk in a child's mouth, which it sucks from its mother; and
      that which is fatter than a sheep's tail is the land and water that
      makes everything fat; and that which is sure among created things is
      death." The end.

      And when he knew and explained them, he sent him three years'
      tribute, as he had settled.

      Sebastian Brock, Studies in Syriac Christianity, Variorum 1992
      Posted by
      Aji Thomas David
      ID - 4088