Re: Question Regarding the candles in the Holy Madbaha

  • Ullas Issac K
    Message 1 of 5 , Jan 4, 2009
      In the Holy Thronose 13 candles are kept. 12 candles will be lightened
      during the Holy qurbana.

      The one left is lightened only during the morning prayer. It symbolizes
      John the baptist while the other 12 are the apostles. Before the holy
      qurbana starts( Mariam deelethok...) 12 candles are lightened and the
      other one is removed.

      Ullas Issac K

      --- In SOCM-FORUM@yahoogroups.com, Varghese George wrote:

      > Hi Team,
      >
      > I have a question. It is mentioned that we are using 13 candles in the "Holy Madbaha".
      >
      > Usually we are using 12 candles in Qurbana.
      >
      > Will you please explain this?
      >
      > Please have a look at the attachment below.
      > http://www.socmnet.org/FAQ_files/FAQ_candles_002.gif
    • Varghese George
      Message 2 of 5 , Jan 4, 2009
        Hi Ullas,

        Thanks for your answer and it is new information.

        I would like to ask one more

        During our evening prayer (Sandya Parthana), we lightened one candle in the middle and after a session we use to lighten two candles on both sides and the other one is removed ?

        Regards
        Varghese George
      • George Aramath
        Message 3 of 5 , Jan 10, 2009
          Dear Varghese George,

          The explanation I've heard is more practical than symbolic. During
          the Evening or Ramsho prayers, one candle is used for lighting as
          night is approaching. And as the Compline or Sootoro prayers begin,
          two candles are lit for further lighting as it's later into the night.

          This is also a good place to mention that at times we overlook
          practical reasons as to why certain actions are performed. We tend
          sometimes to symbolize everything when it makes sense just on a
          practical level.

          George Aramath

          --- In SOCM-FORUM@yahoogroups.com, Varghese George wrote:

          > Hi Ullas,
          >
          > Thanks for your answer and it is new information.
          >
          > I would like to ask one more
          >
          > During our evening prayer (Sandya Parthana), we lightened one candle
          in the middle and after a session we use to lighten two candles on
          both sides and the other one is removed ?

          > Regards
          > Varghese George

        • Georgy S Thomas
          Message 4 of 5 , Jan 12, 2009
            Dear George Aramath,

            Indeed an elegant and simple answer. Very interesting too.

            Georgy S Thomas
            Bangalore
            id no. 3256