Question Regarding the candles in the Holy Madbaha

  • Varghese George
    Message 1 of 5 , Jan 3, 2009
      Hi Team,

      I have a question. It is mentioned that we are using 13 candles in the "Holy Madbaha".

      Usually we are using 12 candles in Qurbana.

      Will you please explain this?

      Please have a look at the attachment below.
      http://www.socmnet.org/FAQ_files/FAQ_candles_002.gif

      Regards

      Varghese George
      St.Marys Jacobite Church
      Vazhamuttom- West
      Pathanamthitta
      Kerala
    • Ullas Issac K
      Message 2 of 5 , Jan 4, 2009
        In the Holy Thronose 13 candles are kept. 12 candles will be lightened
        during the Holy qurbana.

        The one left is lightened only during the morning prayer. It symbolizes
        John the baptist while the other 12 are the apostles. Before the holy
        qurbana starts( Mariam deelethok...) 12 candles are lightened and the
        other one is removed.

        Ullas Issac K

        Message 3 of 5 , Jan 4, 2009
          Hi Ullas,

          Thanks for your answer and it is new information.

          I would like to ask one more

          During our evening prayer (Sandya Parthana), we lightened one candle in the middle and after a session we use to lighten two candles on both sides and the other one is removed ?

          Regards
          Varghese George
        • George Aramath
          Message 4 of 5 , Jan 10, 2009
            Dear Varghese George,

            The explanation I've heard is more practical than symbolic. During
            the Evening or Ramsho prayers, one candle is used for lighting as
            night is approaching. And as the Compline or Sootoro prayers begin,
            two candles are lit for further lighting as it's later into the night.

            This is also a good place to mention that at times we overlook
            practical reasons as to why certain actions are performed. We tend
            sometimes to symbolize everything when it makes sense just on a
            practical level.

            George Aramath

            --- In SOCM-FORUM@yahoogroups.com, Varghese George wrote:

            > Hi Ullas,
            >
            > Thanks for your answer and it is new information.
            >
            > I would like to ask one more
            >
            > During our evening prayer (Sandya Parthana), we lightened one candle
            in the middle and after a session we use to lighten two candles on
            both sides and the other one is removed ?

            > Regards
            > Varghese George

          • Georgy S Thomas
            Message 5 of 5 , Jan 12, 2009
              Dear George Aramath,

              Indeed an elegant and simple answer. Very interesting too.

              Georgy S Thomas
              Bangalore
              id no. 3256