Irenaeus

  • Mark Sedrak
    Message 1 of 8 , Dec 16, 2008
      Error, indeed, is never set forth in its naked deformity, lest,
      being thus exposed, it should at once be detected. But it is craftily decked out in an attractive dress, so as, by its outward form, to make it appear to the inexperienced (ridiculous as the expression may seem) more true than the truth itself. One far superior to me has well said, in reference to this point, "A clever imitation in glass casts contempt, as it were, on that precious jewel the emerald (which is
      most highly esteemed by some), unless it come under the eye of one able to test and expose the counterfeit. Or, again, what inexperienced person can with ease detect the presence of brass when it has been mixed up with silver?"

      Irenaeus, Against Heresies
      http://orthodoxbookstore.ecrater.com/product.php?pid=2361285
    • Mark Sedrak
      Message 2 of 8 , Jan 6, 2009
        Great, then, was the mercy of God the Father: He sent the creative Word, who, when He came to save us, put Himself in our position, and in the same situation in which we lost life; and He loosed the prison-bonds, and His light appeared and dispelled the darkness in the prison, and He sanctified our birth and abolished death, loosing those same bonds by which we were held. And He showed forth the resurrection, becoming Himself the first-born from the dead [Col. 1:18] and raised in Himself prostrate man, being lifted up to the heights of heaven, at the right hand of the glory of the Father, as God had promised through the prophet saying: I will raise up the
        tabernacle of David, that is fallen, that is, the body sprung from David; and this was in truth accomplished by our Lord Jesus Christ, in the triumph of our redemption, that He raise us in truth, setting us free to the Father.

        Irenaeus - Proof of the Apostolic Preaching
        http://orthodoxbookstore.ecrater.com/product.php?pid=2332993
        http://orthodoxbookstore.ecrater.com/product.php?pid=2358365
      • Mark Sedrak
        Message 3 of 8 , Jan 7, 2010
          Christ is Born! + Let us Glorify Him!

          For if He did not receive the substance of flesh from a human being, He neither was made man nor the Son of man; and if He was not made what we were, He did no great thing in what He suffered and endured. But everyone will allow that we are [composed of] a body taken from the earth, and a soul receiving spirit from God. This, therefore, the Word of God was made, recapitulating in Himself His own handiwork; and on this account does He confess Himself the Son of man, and blesses the meek, because they shall inherit the earth" (Matthew 5:5).

          Irenaeus, Against Heresies
          (Book III, Chapter 22)
        • Mark Sedrak
          Message 4 of 8 , Dec 16, 2010
            He appeared as man in the fullness of time, and being God's Word, He summed up in Himself all things in heaven and on earth. He united man with God and brought about communion between God and man.

            Irenaeus
            The Scandal of the Incarnation
          • Mark Sedrak
            Message 5 of 8 , Dec 31, 2010
              The prophets who proclaimed Him as Emmanuel, born of a Virgin, were showing forth the union of the Word of God with His own handiwork. They were announcing that the Word would be made flesh, that the Son of God would be the Son of Man, that the pure One, in a pure way, would open that pure womb which regenerates men in God, that pure womb which He Himself made to be pure.

              Irenaeus, Against the Heresies
              Scandal of the Incarnation
            • Mark Sedrak
              Message 6 of 8 , May 28, 2011
                Christ is Risen! + Indeed He is Risen!

                He sent the creative Word, who, coming to save us, was in the same place and situation in which we were when we lost life, breaking the bonds of the prison; and His light appeared and dispelled the darkness of the prison, and sanctified our birth and abolished death, loosening the same bonds by which we were trapped. And He demonstrated the resurrection, becoming Himself "the first-born from the dead," and raising in Himself fallen.

                Irenaeus, On the Apostolic Preaching
              • Mark Sedrak
                Message 7 of 8 , Dec 21, 2011
                  Man is in as much need of communion with God as God is in need of nothing. For this is the glory of man: to persevere and remain in the service of God.

                  Message 8 of 8 , Jan 8, 2014
                    He became the Son of Man to accustom man to receive God and God to dwell in man.

                    Irenaeus, Against the Heresies (3, 20, 2)
                    From: The Scandal of the Incarnation
                    Be sure to join The Orthodox Bookstore on the following platforms!