No dispute over church - Catholicos Aboon Mor Baselios Thomas I

  • SOCM News Bureau
    Message 1 of 1 , Dec 14, 2008
      Catholicos Aboon Mor Baselios Thomas I of the Malankara Jacobite Syrian Orthodox Church, exhorted the faithful to keep praying till the prayers are answered.

      The Catholicos was addressing a gathering of the faithful at Mukathala here for a prayer meeting to reaffirm the claim over the disputed Saint Stephen´┐Żs Church at Kureepally, Mukathala.

      "Our prayer now should be to gain what is rightfully due to us, His Beatitude said. Those opposed to our taking control of our churches are creating problems. Hence we should keep praying more and more," the Catholicos told those assembled for the prayer meeting.

      Catholicos said that the opposite side was not at all interested in settling the dispute over the church. "That is because they are aware that the church belongs to us. They want to keep the church closed for years together," Catholicos alleged.

      The Catholicos said that there was no dispute over the church. The Supreme Court had given its verdict on the case much earlier. Our suggestion to have four judges or other eminent persons examine that verdict in order to find out which side is violating the verdict has also been rejected by the other side, he alleged.

      Though the situation pains us, the faithful should maintain calm. We should at the same time never let off the claim over the church H.B said adding that "God is with us."

      Metropolitan H.E Elias Mor Athanasios celebrated Holy Qurbono at 9:00 AM.

      The other speakers were H.E Mor Theodosius Mathews - Metropolitan of Kollam diocese, Very Rev. Thomas Tharayi Cor Episcopoi l, Very rev. T.C Mathew Cor Episcopoi, Vicar Rev. Fr Sabu Samuel, diocesan secretary Rev. Fr. Stephen Abraham and Rev. Fr. Roy George.

      SOCM News Bureau - Kollam