Isaac of Syria - Following Christ

  • Mark Sedrak
    Message 1 of 2 , Dec 8, 2008
      Do not be astonished if, when you begin to practice virtue, severe tribulations break out against you on every side.

      Virtue is not accounted virtue if it is not accompanied by difficulty and by labors.

      That is why all those who in the fear of the Lord wish to live in Jesus Christ will suffer affliction.

      For He says, �Whoever wants to follow Me, let him deny himself and take up his cross and follow Me. If anyone wishes to save his life in comfort, he will lose it; if anyone shall lose his life for my sake, he shall find it (Matthew 16:24, 10:39).�

      For this reason, then, our Lord placed before you the cross, that you might sentence yourself to death, and then send forth your soul to go after Him.

      From: Daily Readings with St. Isaac of Syria
      http://orthodoxbookstore.ecrater.com/product.php?pid=2492388
      http://orthodoxbookstore.ecrater.com/product.php?pid=2492451
    • Mark Sedrak
      Message 2 of 2 , Feb 19, 2009
        Do not
        be astonished if, when you practice virtue, severe tribulation break out against
        you on every side. Virtue is not accounted virtue if it is not accompanied by
        difficulty and by labors. That is why all those who in the fear of the Lord
        wish to live in Jesus Christ will suffer affliction. For he says, �Whoever
        wants to follow Me, let him deny himself and take up his cross and follow Me. If
        anyone wishes to save his life in comfort, he will lose it; if anyone shall
        lose his life for my sake, he will find it� (Matthew 16:24; 10:39). For this
        reason, then our Lord pace before you the cross, that you might sentience
        yourself to death, and then send forth your soul to go after Him.

        From: Daily Readings with St. Isaac of Syria