HIS HOLINESS ARAM I CONVEYS HIS CONDOLENCES TO THE RUSSIAN ORTHODOX CHURCH

  • SOCM News Bureau
    Message 1 of 1 , Dec 9, 2008
      His Eminence
      Metropolitan Kirill
      Locum Tenens
      Russian Orthodox Church
      Moscow

      Your Eminence,

      It is with profound sorrow that we heard the passing away of His Holiness Alexy II, the Patriarch of the Russian Orthodox Church. We, as former Moderator of the World Council of Churches and as spiritual leader, have known His Holiness, his perspectives and vision. In fact, His Holiness was a great spiritual leader who led with courage and commitment the Russian Orthodox Church for eighteen years. He was called to his pontifical ministry at a most crucial period of the his­tory of Russia. At a time of great change and challenge His Holiness was able to engage his church in a process of spiritual renewal by responding to the emerg­ing realities and expectations of the people. He gave a renewed dynamism to church-society relationship, enhanced the evangelistic, educational and diakonal witness of the church, strengthening at the same time its ecumenical and inter-re­ligious dialogue and collaboration.

      On this sad occasion, on behalf of the Armenian Catholicosate of Cilicia, its hierarchy and people, and personally we would like to extend our deep condo­lences to Your Eminence, to the Holy Synod, to the clergy and the faithful of the Russian Orthodox Church. May God accept the soul of His Holiness Alexy II in His heavenly kingdom.

      Your in Christ
      ARAM I
      CATHOLICOS OF CILICIA