  • Vatachal Thomas John
    Message 1 of 1 , Dec 6, 2008

      The first Christmas Carol Service (Onnamathu Chrismas Gaana Susroosha) was conducted by the angel of the Lord, presumably, Gabriel with a multitude of heavenly host, on the original Christmas Day at Bethlehem......The carol they sung is:

      Glory to God in the highest and on earth peace, good will towards men [St.Luke 2:14 KJV]

      In Syriac the song is as follows:-

      Thezbuhtho Laaloho B`roume
      Val`arvo Slomo
      V`sabro Thobo Labnainozo
      [St.Luke.2:14 Syriac Bible 63 DC]

      In Malayalam we can have it as:

      Unnathangalil Daivathinu
      Bhoomiyil Samadhanavum,
      Manushyarku Nalla Saranavum (Undayirikkatte)

      This has been rendered into Malayalam Sloka as under

      Ulavaaka Sthuthy Daivathinu Vaanil,
      Dharaniyathil Saanthy
      Nalloru Saranam
      [[Thaksa Jananapperunaal kramam]

      A proper English translation is given below:-

      Glory be to God in the high places
      And on earth peace and concord
      And good hope for men

      In the Good News Translation of the Bible St.Luke 2:14 is given in a different way which reads as follows:-

      Glory to God in the highest heaven
      and peace on earth to those with whom he is pleased

      Some other English translations also follow this.

      The Malayalam Bible (published by the Bible Society of India) states

      "Bhoomiyil Daivaprasaadamulla Manushyarku Samadhanam".

      POC Bible (Catholic Church) is also in agreement with this .

      But in all the prayer books of the churches following the Syriac patrimony (Jacobites, Indian Orthodox, Zeero Malabar & Zeero Malankara ) the offer of good will (nalla saranam, prathyasa, sabro thobo etc) is to all mankind.

      For examining critically the significance of the two versions. we may examine the following quotations from the Bible ..

      1. And she (St.Mary) shall bring forth a son and thou shalt call his name JESUS for he shall save his people from their sins (St.Matthew 1:21) These are the words of the angel of the Lord ... The name Jesus is Yesu in Syriac and Yosuva in Hebrew both means saviour. He is the saviour of all sinners. { Joshua is the same as Jesus the former is derived from Yosua the successor Moses. In Syriac Yosua is also Yesu and for distinguishing Yosuva and Our Lord. Yesu, the former is Yesu Bar Nun and the latter Yesu Bar Aaloho Whenever the Syriac people refer to Yosuva they will say Yesu Bar Nun and our Lord will be referred to as Yesu...... If you translated the word``` Yesu `` He will be known as Saviour in English, just as Keepho in Syriac became Pethros and Soul became Paulose in Greek}.

      2. I am not sent but unto lost sheep (Matthew 15:24 ) These are the words of our Lord Here the lost sheep means all sinners ..

      3. They that are whole have no need of the physician but they that are sick .. I came not to call the righteous but sinners to reprentence.( Mark 2:17) These are the words of our Lord

      4. They that are whole need not a physician but they that are sick. I came not to call the righteous but sinners to repentence(Luke 5: 31 & 32) These are the words of our Lord

      5. I bring you good tidings of great joy which shall be to all people (Luke 2:10) These are the words of the angel of the Lord said to the shepherds just before he, along with a multitude of angels sung the first Christmas Carol ... All people mentioned here by the angel include sinners

      6. Lord now lettest thou thy servant depart in peace according to thy word. For mine eyes have seen the salvation which thou hast prepared before the face of all people (Luke 2:::29 to 31) These are the words the Just and Devout Simeon said taking Baby Jesus in his hands while St.Mary and St.Joseph came to the Temple of the Lord at Jerusalem with Baby Jesus for being presented to God.. It is said Simeon who was copying the scriptures decades before that event, had refused to use the word vergin in the prophesy contained in Ch : 7 Verse 14 of Isaiah which reads as follows:

      Therefore the Lord himself shall give you a sign:

      Behold, a virgin shall conceive and bear a son and shall call his name Immanuel. So the Lord revealed to him that he would not see death before he had seen the Lord`s Christ (Luke 2::26) who is the son of the virgin. When he saw the son of the virgin he prayed God to call him to rest. In John 8::3 to 11 there is a vivid account of a woman caught in adultery to whom our Lord was the saviour of her body and life in this world and is the saviour of her soul..spirit and body in the Kingdom of God. I am confining my quotations to those from the Gospels.for the sake of brevity. It is abundantly clear that our Lord came to this world as Jesus Christ (Yesu M`seeha) to save the sinners and so there is no point in restricting his offer of peace to the good people The Syriac text always uses the word "thobo" with "sabaro" and with "dukrono" (saranam or prathyasa and orma respectively) as . "sabaro thobo" and "dukrono thobo" (nalla saranam and nalla orma) .. "Sabaro thobo" is offerred to all human beings.as per the Syriac Text as also English Text (KJV) But by changing the text of the first Christmas song "sabaro" is restricted to all "thobo" human beings; but actually it is "sabaro thobo" to all human beings.; The Syriac text has another special meaning. The first part of the song praises God;second part offers peace on earth which means all living things including human beings, animals and plants of this world shall have peace and the final part offers "sabaro thobo" only for man of all generations from Adam to the last person to be born on earth until the day on which the Lord Jesus Christ is to come, as human beings alone have a .spirit each. and have life after death. "Sabaro" is not all necessary for animals as they are without a spirit as it is related to life after death. I have to request every one of us to speak, write and teach the text of Luke 2:::14 as in Syriac which is correctly translated into Malayalam in our Khurbanakramam as a song to be sung at the time of the kiss of peace, in the prayers as per the thakso of Christmas (Yeldo), in Visudha Grandham (Kaniyamparambil) and in the beautiful prayer commencing with the Angelic Hymn (Just as the exalted angels and arch-angels of heaven sing praise to Thee = melpetta uyarangalil = maho`nnathangalil swargeeya=athyunnathangalil swargathile malakamarum) {Christmas is to be pronounced in English as Chrismas, for "t" is silent in Christmas. It is not necessary to say Christhumas in Malayalam; we need say Chrismas in Malayalam as well} In conclusion I may say "Loka samastha sukhino bhavanthu (Let there be peace to all life on earth ) AND GOOD HOPE (SABARO THOBO = NALLA PRATHYASA) TO ALL GENERATIONS PRESENT AND FUTURE

      I wish every one of the SOCM Forum

      a H A P P Y Christmas and a P U R P O S E FU L NEW YEAR

      V T John
      ID 3085