Re: Dear Church authority

  • Babu Jacob Nadayil
    Message 1 of 14 , Dec 6, 2008
      Dear Brother Binto Varghese,

      Lot of our Jacobite brothers & sisters across USA are dedicated to
      mobilize our people wherever there is no parish established or Holy
      Service is conducted. We have presently more than 40 parishes under
      the enthusiastic leadership of His Eminence Mor Titus Yeldho,
      Archbishop of Malankara Archdiocese of Syrian Orthodox Church In
      North America. If anyone is trying to locate our US parishes please
      click on www.Malankara.com. If you can provide us with your cousin's
      contact details please forward the same to the Moderators of this
      Forum so that we will be able to contact and help him/her.

      I fully agree with your views that so much can be done for the growth
      of our Holy Church with the timely cooperation of both the hierarchy
      and the faithful not only in rural parts of India but also in
      different parts of the Globe. Joining other groups or denominations
      is not at all a good choice for the precious children of the True
      Church. May the Holy Spirit dwell in the hearts and midst of us to
      lead us children to the right direction wherever we are.

      In Lord's Love,

      Babu Jacob Nadayil,
      St.Paul's Fellowship,
      (e-mail:stpaulsfellowship@...)
      Malankara Archdiocese of SOC in North America

      --- In SOCM-FORUM@yahoogroups.com, Binto Varghese wrote:

      > Dear Church authority,
      >
      > In Karnataka, we have nothing.. Davankara, Colar, Mysoor . etc are
      the educational hubs in not only Karnataka but also India. Among the
      students in that place 50% Christians students are Jacobite, .In that
      region IOC have church and student center .In these students center
      and church 50% are Jacobite and they are active too. In Mysoor there
      is a Big IOC church, but 60% are Jacobite and Knanayaties ,they give
      lots of money for building that church. Church secretary of that
      church is Jacobite from Angamali Diocese. Please remember one thing
      we have land there for building the church, but there was no
      initiatives from church authority, our Jacobite and Knanayites join
      IOC. "Areyum Kuttam paranjittu kariyam ella"

    • Vinod Verghese
      Message 2 of 14 , Dec 6, 2008
        I fully agree with what Binto Varghese has said.

        Remember we do not have a fully organised student wing which actually
        is a big blunder continuing in our church in this modern world, since
        the students, especially those going out side Kerala do not have a
        chance to know about our church. IOCs have done that wisely. They
        have student centres at key locations. We ought to strive to make up
        places where our students can be put up for stay under the guidance
        of a priest or a deacon so that they do not get exposed to other
        preachers who are roaming about in student hostels of big colleges.
        I do congratulate and appreciate the efforts of Dn Bobby for
        organising a group in Palai. Such initiatives should come up. We need to have one in Changanacherry as well.

        It is high time our church leadership took steps to reorganise our
        student wing.

        I propose we should have a full time bishop (not involved in any
        other diocese or activity) with priests under him for this purpose
        alone (organising student groups,classes / seminars, building student
        centres at various centres for accomodating our students going
        outside for studying etc).Now actually our HG Mor Athanasius
        GeeVarghese Eralil bishop can be given this responsibilty as the
        bishop has got a lot of potential for the same.

        I have seen a lot of letters in this forum regarding various issues.
        But no one had brought up this real spiritual plight of our student
        community.

        Another thing that Binto Varghese has written is worth noting.
        We definitely need to have a lot of parishes outside Kerala. At
        present there are hardly 30 or 35 in place of an actual requirement of around 500.No proper initiative is coming from the church leadership in this regard.

        I appreciate the works of HG Mor Themothios Thomas done during the
        time when the church was in dire straits and that was the need of the
        hour. But now, the church has grown and become strong. So it is time
        we expand. For this if we continue as only 1 archdocese we will not
        have sufficient people to take the lead. So it is high time that the
        outside Kerala is divided into 5 or 6 dioceses under more number of
        bishops as the area to be covered is large and cannot be done by 1 or 2 bishops. Then we can concentrate on more areas and have faster development.

        Singapore itself is an example. We should have had a parish long
        back. It was only this year that we took the initiative to start
        one. By this time we lost a lot of our flock. When someone projected
        this in our forum,I found lots of accuses and teases from our own
        people attending IOC church and some IOC member saying we do not have
        the capital nor the money to start one.

        But once the initiative was taken see now we have a membership of
        around 160 just after 9 months.This is an example that can be
        followed in all the places. One such example is Europe which was
        organised in a short period when an young and enthustiastic bishop
        like Mor Theophilos Kuriakose was given charge.

        Many of our people are yet to come back in our parish in Singapore. They probably have a fear that lot of money will be required for
        purchasing a church and have the fear of having to contribute. IOCs
        have built their churches using our people's money. I have heard our
        people in Singapore saying how they contributed for building the
        other church. One person said one pillar in that church is built fully using his money as he contributed for that purpose.

        But God is great . He has helped us in many places to build our own
        church even if we do not have money.

        Another thing that should be done is whenever we plan to start a new
        congregation, our Bava should take the initiative to send bulls to
        all parishes regarding this and ask to pass information about
        relatives and others in that area to contact the concerned vicar or
        secretary.

        So I pray and hope our church leadership will understand the gravity
        of the situation and take effective steps.

        With Prayers
        Vinod Verghese
        Singapore
        4138

        --- In SOCM-FORUM@yahoogroups.com, Binto Varghese wrote:

        Dear Church authority,

        In Karnataka, we have nothing.. Davankara, Colar, Mysoor . etc are
        the educational hubs in not only Karnataka but also India. Among the
        students in that place 50% Christians students are Jacobite, .In that
        region IOC have church and student center .In these students center
        and church 50% are Jacobite and they are active too. In Mysoor there
        is a Big IOC church, but 60% are Jacobite and Knanayaties ,they give
        lots of money for building that church. Church secretary of that
        church is Jacobite from Angamali Diocese. Please remember one thing
        we have land there for building the church, but there was no
        initiatives from church authority, our Jacobite and Knanayites join
        IOC. "Areyum Kuttam paranjittu kariyam ella"

      • Johnson Mannahoor
        Message 3 of 14 , Dec 8, 2008
          Shlomo to all,

          We all must thank our brothers in US for the generous offer for help.

          We only have half a dozen + families in our St. Mary's Parish as of
          now. All are working class people. We don't have our own place of
          worship but do have the permission for cemetry.

          We regularly have Holy Mass on alternate sundays and all other
          important feasts. 15th Aug is our main feast. We have regular prayer
          meetings, bible quizes, library, sunday school and Vanitha Samajam.
          Rev. Fr. DR. C.P Varghese is our vicar who gives us voluntary
          service.

          We with our faith in our Lord and a thirst to serve the society,
          with the blessings of our beloved bishop H.E Mor Themothios Thomas
          have planned for various project activities. The mile stones are to
          1) start a KG school which will accomodate underprevilaged children
          also at no cost. 2) to start an old age home.

          We do have nothting in our hands but are sure that GOD will open the
          doors through his men provided it is a project in His Holy Name.
          Soon we will approach all our brothers and sisters through this
          forum and directly whereever possible to take part in this project.

          For St. Mary's JSC
          Baroda.

          Johnson Mannahoor
          --- In SOCM-FORUM@yahoogroups.com, Babu Jacob Nadayil wrote:

          > Dear Brother Binto Varghese,
          >
          > Lot of our Jacobite brothers & sisters across USA are dedicated to
          > mobilize our people wherever there is no parish established or Holy
          > Service is conducted. We have presently more than 40 parishes under
          > the enthusiastic leadership of His Eminence Mor Titus Yeldho,
          > Archbishop of Malankara Archdiocese of Syrian Orthodox Church In
          > North America. If anyone is trying to locate our US parishes please
          > click on www.Malankara.com. If you can provide us with your
          cousin's
          > contact details please forward the same to the Moderators of this
          > Forum so that we will be able to contact and help him/her.

        • Boney Kuriakose
          Message 4 of 14 , Dec 8, 2008
            Dear All

            I agree with these postings although I don't agree with the thought that the church authorities should take the initiative to start a congregation. It is the duty of the laity to organise the common people and then ask the church to provide with a priest and then start the congregation. The IOC is always one step ahead of us in this aspect.

            I am right now in South Africa. I know of a few Jacobites here. Most of them including me go to a Catholic church. There is however an IOC congregation in South Africa and they conduct services in various cities on different Sundays and maybe many of the true Jacobites will be forced to go to their services. Many of them would have tried to establish at least a prayer fellowship. I don't know much about the history here.

            When people are away from their homeland and are desperately looking for places to worship, they tend to go to other congregations because they do not have a place of worship of their own. They go to the closest available congregation to theirs culture like the IOC. Sometimes people go to Roman Catholic churches because they think that inspite of all that the Roman Catholic churches have done to us over the years, they are still better than the IOC. But to those who have the Syrian Orthodox tradition and liturgy close to their heart, they have no choice. Then these people get transformed slowly into the IOC stream as that is the only stream available. At this point of time when the IOC has an organised church in that place, if a true Jacobites tries to form a group, it will be looked upon with a negative thought and there will be resistance especially if the group is small.Then one fine day when our Church starts a congregation like in Singapore, there will be resistance on their part. However, I think the true Church regains over the time as the Singapore experience is showing us.

            We believe that the Holy Apostolic Church is built by the common people and they are the ones who are the backbone of the church. If they believe that there should be a church and then they can get together and organise one. Then it grows. The start is always the toughest part. Its important to get that right. Its easier in places like USA where we have more faithfuls and difficult in places like Pretoria.

            With Prayers
            Boney Kuriakose PhD
            0963

            --- In SOCM-FORUM@yahoogroups.com, Vinod Verghese wrote:

            > I fully agree with what Binto Varghese has said.
            >
            > Remember we do not have a fully organised student wing which
            actually
            > is a big blunder continuing in our church in this modern world,
            since
            > the students, especially those going out side Kerala do not have a
          • S Chandy
            Message 5 of 14 , Dec 8, 2008
              Hi All,

              The first thing we have do for this is start a prayer chain, I mean
              all of us have to pray with this subject at a prticular time every
              day (ex: 10 o clock every night)where ever we are.

              If every body is agreed lets start from today.

              regds
              S Chandy

              --- In SOCM-FORUM@yahoogroups.com, Vinod Verghese wrote:

              > I fully agree with what Binto Varghese has said.
              >
              > Remember we do not have a fully organised student wing which
              actually
              > is a big blunder continuing in our church in this modern world,
              since
            • Rev. Dn Bobby John
              Message 6 of 14 , Dec 9, 2008
                Dear Binto,

                Firstly I congratulate to your eagerness about our church faith. In outside Kerala so many Jacobite students were studying different major cities, but we have lack of churches in major cities.

                Please try to collect details of them and approach to the church authority.

                Thanks for your initiative
                Dn Bobby John
              • Alex John
                Message 7 of 14 , Dec 9, 2008
                  Dear Binto and all others,

                  The best thing we can do is to assure that all our children away from Kerala has to go to our own church, even if it is bit far. parents has to take care of this. The details of each student who is studying/working outside Kerala should be given to parish priest. He can send those details to Church H.Q. There should be one department in church H.Q to take care of our faithful outside Kerala. Its really difficult for common layman to take initiative for starting a congregation, why because they will be knowing only few jacobites in that place. There are so many deacons available in our church, the church authorities can take up initiative to appoint few of them to outside Kerala, just for coordinating faithful outside kerala. If these deacons has the details of outside faithful they can call up and discuss regarding the startup of a new congregation. If deacons or priests are inviting jacobites to start up a congregation that makes a lot of difference, instead of a common layman's initiative. So I feel church authority should take care of this. Its not a big deal to conduct Holy Mass on sundays if we can coordinate our faithful. Its not mandatory that there should be a church first to conduct Holy Mass. We can rent even a school hall for that. The expense for that will not be much. later if faithful are increasing we can think of further extensions. First and foremost thing is to keep our people in Syrian tradition. These congregations will help us in doing this. In Bangalore also the Holy Mass started in a school hall initially and later we constructed a three storied Church building with the help of all Bangalore malayali Christians. I think few members of this forum are close to church H.Q. I request them to put forward these ideas to our beloved H.B Bava Thirumeni and the Holy Synod. Otherwise in near future we will lose majority of our faithful from outside Kerala. One more thing needs people's attention is, in Bangalore there is a congregation started in T John college. Actually its just a classroom and Holy Mass is conducting for two Sundays every month. This started actually 6 months back and its still running. That means its a small success. There is nothing wrong even if it is a humble start. So i request those church authorities to take positive steps towards this.

                  Alex John
                  St Peters and St Pauls JSO church Bangalore
                • Anoop Mani
                  Message 8 of 14 , Dec 9, 2008
                    Dear friends,

                    What Vinod chettan wrote is absolutely right. Most of the members of St. Mary's Jacobite Syrian Church Singapore are middle class people. What we did was, first we organised a small prayer fellowship. In the beginning there was only four or five families. Our lord Jesus Christ did wonders in our prayer fellowship. Our church is built not by money, It is built by God Almighty. Mr. Binto, youngsters like you can take an initiative to commence a prayer fellowship. For this no seperate place is needed, it can be conducted in houses, hostel rooms etc. When the prayer fellowship grows you can contact the church authority and surely they will send a priest to co-ordinate you. For this not much money is needed. I wish you all the best.

                    Anoop
                  • Cijoy Varghese
                    Message 9 of 14 , Dec 13, 2008
                      Dear all

                      I am Cijoy Varghese. I was not active for some months due to personal reasons I will be active now. I read a lot of mail about faithfulls suffering because of lack of church in their area, I was reminded of a small initative which a church took in Germany thay created a small church in a vehicle & vehicle went to the remote areas were people had no churches.

                      We could also do the same. We could also buy a vehicle & ensure that it reaches every desiring Jacobite atleast once in a month. It is an idea. I think is worth examining most IOC churches are near town ours far away from town this is also a issue

                      Cijoy Varghese