Picture of Ahathulla Bava

  • Leena Mathew
    Message 1 of 1 , Nov 26, 2008
      Dear Mr. Appu Jose,

      I have a picture of Ahathulla Bava from the book Daiva Mathave, Sleehanmar, Rakthasakshikal, Thapasasreshtar, pithakkanmar written by Dr. A.V. Zechariah FIE.

      In this book it is mentioned that He is from Thurabdeen.  As per the
      request from Malankara He came to Madras (via zuret) from Persia in1652. That was the time of Latinates.That time our Bava visited the tomb of St. Thomas. Chenganoor Chengayil Itty chemmachan and Kuravilangad Kizhakedath kurien chemmachan were happened to be there at the tomb. Bava sent a letter to Arkadiyakon. In that letter Bava has mentioned that He is in the hands of Portuguese and they will be taking him to Goa via Cochin for torturing Him. He has requested that soon they have to save him from these dangerous hands. Some says that seeing a big crowd at Cochin they took him to Goa to torture him after spreading the rumor that Bava accidentally fell in the sea and drowned. Then at Goa they burnt him. Others say that He was taken to Rome.

      And on the way to Rome he died at Lisbon. Even if it is recorded like this we believe that He was cruelly drowned by Portuguese at Cochin sea.

      Picture:- http://www.socmnet.org/photos/Ahathulla_bava.jpg

      Hope it is of some help for your search.

      Leena Mathew