'ANTHIYOKIA PATHRIYARKKESE PARISHUDHA AHATHULLA BAVA'

  • Apu Jose
    Message 1 of 13 , Nov 5, 2008
      Dear readers,

      I have some doubts regarding the whereabouts of Mor Ahatullah bava

      1.Was he really Patriarch of Antioch and All the East?
      2. Or was he a Metropolitan or an Episcopa of the Holy Syriac Orthodox Church sent by the Holy Patriarch?Was he a Remban?
      3. I have heard that there is another tradition which says that he was a Nestorian Metropolitan. What is our Church's official stand on this ?
      4. Is the tomb of "Arthungal Velluthachen" really his toumb ? It is rumoured that he was drowned by the Roman Catholic Portugese heretics in the Kochi kayal.His body was caught in a fishing net and it was buried in the Arthungal pally (may be they realized it was a Christian's body).Many miracles have been said to happen at the tomb.
      5. There is also another tradition which says that he was taken to Goa for Inquistions and burned ir tortured to death by Roman Catholics for holding on to the Holy Syriac Orthodox faith.What is the official position of our church on this issue?

      Hoping to get answers for these questions soon.
      With prayers
      Apu Jose
      Bhubaneswar
      4096
    • Rev. Fr.George V. Vayaliparambil
      Message 2 of 13 , Nov 8, 2008
        Apu Jose

        H H Ahathulla (HH Ignatious Hidayathulla) was the patriarch of Antioch.

        As you said HH was drowned by the Roman Catholic Portuguese heretics in the Kochi kayal. His body was caught in a fishing net and it was buried in the Arthungal pally (may be they realized it was a Christian's body). Many miracles have been said to happen at the tomb. Now HH is Known as arthungal veluthachan.

        It is the Curse of our church. None of us are remembering HH name in our churches, I had vision some months back, In that vision I had seen a man who is in Episcopal rank, surrounded by a group of angels and heard a voice as, Ahathulla Is holy and he is the one who sheaded his blood for the sheep. It is the reason why our church undergoes division in all era after the Koonan cross oath. We should remember our forefathers who taught us the word of God through their life.

        I came to know that Rev. Fr. Adai James Principal of MSOT seminary is planning to construct a church in Mattanchery, were our Holy Ahathulla Bava were drowned by the Cathelic heretics.

        I am sure that with in years church will definitly cananise Mor ahathulla as saint of the church.

        If you Can. you may lease see the official documentary of the history of Marthoma church produced by The Delhi diocese of Marthoma church.-An evidence of Antiocha-Malankara Bandam from out side the Church.

        REGARDS
        FR. GEORGE VAYALIPARAMBIL
        Vicar - St. Mary's Syrian Orthodox Church Lidcombe, Sydney
      • Rev. Dn. Prince. Mannathoor
        Message 3 of 13 , Nov 9, 2008
          Dear Friend Appu Jose,

          Actually Ahathulla Bava is one of the Patriarch belonging to Mother
          Church (Antioch).

          But nowadays the Roman Catholic historians ('His Storians') proved
          that His Grace was from Antioch, but he was a Roman Catholic bishop.

          This argument is published only by some writers. [India constitution
          gives to the freedom of writing. So anyone can write their own
          opinion.]

          Some Modern Roman Catholic writers' argument is Ahathulla is a
          Catholic Bishop. They said that '' Ahathulla , belonging to the Antioch, was born in Aleppo in Syria around 1590. He became a monk of the Order of St. Antony and later was appointed as the archbishop of Damascus. Due to the work of the Latin missionaries in Aleppo, Ahathulla became a Catholic. Finally he reached Cairo in Egypt. Then he reached India (Cfr. Pallath, Paul THE CATHOLIC CHURCH IN INDIA, Marthoma Yogam Publications, Rome, 2003, pp-94, Cfr.Fr.Bernad Thoma, Mathoma Christians, Vol.2, pp71-72)

          Fr. Bernad Thoma says with Roman Document. Page 68 ...But this
          document is unbelievable, because It's later made by Roman Catholic
          Historians.

          Some Protestant and Nestorian Writers' View is that Ahathulla is a
          Nestorian Bishop.

          Nowadays Indian Orthodox Church 'His Storians' argument is Ahathulla
          was a Bishop of Syrian Orthodox Church, But the Patriarch excommunicated from the Church. Then he went to Alexandria Patriarch.
          Alexandrian Papa sent him to India. ( Cfr. Fr.Dr.Joseph Cheeran, K.V.Mamman, Advocate PC Mathew, Indian Orthodox Sabha Charithravum Samskaravum Kottakka Publications, Manganam ,2002 pp270-275)

          It is an unbelievable argument.

          Because according to some ancient catholic and protestant writers,

          1) James Hough says in History of Christianity in India from the
          Commencement of the Christian Era,London,1839. Page299. Ahathalla is
          a Syrian Bishop from Antioch. But he lived in Cairo. And the Cairo
          was under the jurisdiction of Coptic Patriarch.

          2) Raulin J.F. says in Historia Ecclesiae Malabaricae cum Diamperitana Synodo, Roma,1745, Ahathalla is Jacobite Bishop.

          3) Assemani J.S., Bibliothecae Apostolice Vaticanae Codicum Manuscriptorum catalogus, pars1, tom.2.Romae 1758; Ahathalla is
          either Jacobite or Nestoian.

          Our Church Historians argues that Ahathalla was a Patriarch of
          Antioch.

          1) E. M Philip, The Indian Church of St.Thomas, Kottayam,pp133-135.

          2) Pukadiyil Ittoop Writer, Malayalathulla Suriyani Christianikalude
          Sabha Charithram, Kottyam, pp 136

          3) Kaniyamparambil Corepiscopa, The Syrian Orthodox Church in India
          and its Apostolic Faith.(English) pp 80-83

          4) Paulose Aprem Ramban, Malankara Sabha Bharichittulla Seemakaraya
          Pithakkanmar,pp XI

          But in Rome (Vatican Library states a strong evidence about
          Ahathalla. It was written by Alexander VII Papa (Cum Nobis) that
          Ahathalla was a non catholic Patriarch.

          I found that document in Vatican Library but it was written in Latin
          Language. I am sorry ,I cant read latin.

          One of My friend (He is a Catholic Priest, he asked me not to publish
          his name) said to me that there is a document in Lisbon(Capital of
          Portuguese) that clearly giving evidence about Ahathulla Bava. I
          wrote a letter to the archive authority with a recommendation letter
          from one of my University professor for verifying the fact. But there
          is no response from them. (3 years before one Indian Orthodox Priest
          went to Lisbon for collecting some documents ,but the authorities did
          not allowed him to check the details
          )
          Above mentioned Friend said to me that Ahathulla is Patriarch Mor
          Ignatius Hadayat Allah (1597-1639). In 1639. He went to Cairo to meet
          Syrian Christians in Alexandria. That time the Malankara church was
          in a need of a bishop and they wrote letter to Antioch for getting
          one from Jacobite Patriarchate. But the letter reached in Alexandrian Patriarchate. During a visit to the Syrian Christians in
          Alexandria, Patriarch Mor Ignatius Hadayat Allah (Ahathulla) met with
          Alexandrian Patriarchate and he came to knew about the matter of the
          letter. Mor Ignatius Hadayat Allah (Ahathalla Bava) decided to go to
          Malankara. HE started his journey from Cairo.But he reached in the
          hands of Portuguese authorities in India(1642). We have no idea
          about the place where he was caught.(Near Karachi..?).The Holy
          Antiochian synod came into a wrong conclusion about this missing and
          thought Bava was died. At last Ignatius Simon (1640-1659) became the
          Patriarch of Antioch. Later Portuguese authorities brought to
          Mylapore (in 1652.) Ahathalla was a former Maphriyono of the East
          (1597-) as Mor Pathros V Ahadyatallah. And later he became the
          patriarch of Antioch.

          This is not a wonderful story. Above mentioned friend showed me some
          Arabic documents. I tried to get a copy of that ancient hand written
          Arabic book. BUT NO CHANCE.

          Above mentioned things are quiet convincingÂ…But there are some
          doubts......

          1) All the historians said Ahathalla reached in Mylapore...Why He
          reached in Mylapore? Geographically from Cairo to India, first Sea port is Karachi, Surath, Goa etc. He would have been reached one of these places. Then Portuguese authorities captured HIM.

          2) Ahathalla was the former Maphriaya of the East. After his arrival
          (around 30 years ) Maphriyana Baselious Yeldho also reached in India.

          Let me conclude

          A lot of documents about our church are lost or hidden in different
          parts of the world. For example Life History of Yeldho Mor Baselius ,
          we cannot prove them fully. But a strong document (about Yeldho
          Bava) in Berlin Library . It was said by Itteera Malpan from
          Kothamangalam to the Kottayam Magistrate during the time of Church
          case.

          Thank You
          Dn. Prince. Mannathoor
        • Rev. Dn.Dr.Paul Samuel
          Message 4 of 13 , Nov 10, 2008
            Dear Dn. Prince,

            Thank you for the wonderful information you posted in your message.

            As an ardent reader of history, many a time I feel really perplexed
            about the way it is written. The missing links are so many.

            The story of Ahatallah Bava is one such thing. Many times I have felt
            the real story will be resting in the vaults of Rome.

            When John Paul II apologised to the world for the all the faults
            Catholic church has done to the world, the Malayalam story writer
            Zachariah made a very important comment in one of his interviews."
            When we see the act of Pope as really important and fabulous for a
            Christian Pontiff to do, there is another aspect of his heroic act.
            With his apology, he was actually closing the doors for all further
            investigation regarding the true nature of all that was done. Pope has only apologised and has not explained what all were the atrocities."

            This observation done by Zachariah holds good to all atrocities done
            by the Roman Catholic church did world wide. Same is the case with
            Ahatullah Bava also. What was the true story we dont know, but Vatican does. Now to hide that new stories are cooked up.

            The fact that we dont have a good church at Mattancherry worsens the
            issue. Its really bad that our Church has not taken care of it till
            now. Even the Coonen cross is with Catholics. The presumed tomb of
            Bava is also with them.

            Many a times I have pondered what is the source to know these things
            from Vatican. Not even in my distant dream I thought somebody could go to Vatican for these. Or that we can have an access over there...

            I do feel its a divine oppurtunity for Dn. Prince to be at Vatican.
            When I came to know through the forum that we have a deacon at
            Vatican, I felt God really has a plan. So Deacon, keep up with your
            good work. Let us all know the story from the Vatican side also to
            fill up the missing links in history.

            Do post more regarding these historical facts. So that we will be enlightened.

            Waiting to hear more from you

            Regards
            Dn.Dr.Paul Samuel
          • Apu Jose
            Message 5 of 13 , Nov 11, 2008
              Dear readers,

              Fiirst ,I would like to thank Rev. Fr.George V. Vayaliparambil and Rev. Dn. Prince. Mannathoor for replying to my posting.I am also grateful to them for the wealth of information provided by them . It nice to know the spiritual experience of Achen.

              Is there any book published by our Church about Mor Ahatullah bava ? I know that there is book called 'ANTHIYOKIA PATHRIYARKKESE PARISHUDHA AHATHULLA BAVA' by Mr Mancha . I would like to read that book, but unfortunately , I don't have a copy of it.

              I think it is high time that church does something about this ..With all humility, I would like to suggest Rev Dn Prince to write a life history of Mor Ahatullah bava in English or in Malayalam.I say this because as I see that he has done a lot of research on this subject.Documents which provide the information.

              History of Marthoma church

              He can also use the information given in the the official documentary of the history of Marthoma church produced by The Delhi diocese of Marthoma church, as suggested by Achen.

              The Latin document of Vatican Library

              It would be good if he could make a copy of it and so that he would be able to know the contents from someone who can read Latin.

              The Lisbon Document

              It may be possible to get the copy of it through the recommendation of our Church hierarchy .(there was a case of RC church handing over the copy of the Letter written by Jesus Christ (stolen from Syriac Orthodox diocese of Edessa )to our Metropolitan of Aleppo ,underwhom the SO christian refugees of Edessa still live).I pray to God that your are able to get the Arabic document.

              Now, coming to the suprising information about the document on Yeldo Mor Baselios bava . As you said there is a document on him in the Berlin Library , Germany . We may be able to take the help of the Suryoyo Metropolitan of Germany HG Mor Yulius Hanna Aydin to get the document . It will be great help for the Malankara Jacobite Church if he would be able to do it .

              I also wish that we will be able to build the Church in Mattancherry. Our church ( I guess built by St Baselios Skrallah) over there was taken over by the I"O"C . A church over there would be a memorial to both Mor Ahattalah and St Baselios Skrallah.

              With prayers
              Apu Jose
              Bhubaneswar
              # 4096

              Check out the all-new face of Yahoo! India. Go to http://in.yahoo.com/
            • Boney Kuriakose
              Message 6 of 13 , Nov 11, 2008
                Dear All

                The only church that I know of celebrates the memory of HH
                Ahathulla Bava is my home parish in Ernakulam, St. Ignatius Noorono
                Church, Ponnurunni. Our Annual church feast is in the name of St.
                Ignatius Noorono, Mor Ahathulla and St. John the Baptist. It is
                normally celebrated in the first sunday after New Year.

                Prayers
                Boney Kuriakose
                0963
              • Thomas Varghese
                Message 7 of 13 , Nov 11, 2008
                  Dear Dn prince,

                  Easier way to verify whether your friend's source is correct may be
                  to find out whether Mor Ignatius Hadayat Allah's tomb is available at
                  Dayara at Syria. If it is not there, this fact is to be studied
                  further. If the tomb is available, Your friend's view point is in
                  Error.

                  Thomas

                  --- In SOCM-FORUM@yahoogroups.com, Rev. Dn. Prince. Mannathoor wrote:

                  > Dear Friend Appu Jose,
                  >
                  > Actually Ahathulla Bava is one of the Patriarch belonging to Mother
                  > Church (Antioch).
                  >
                  > But nowadays the Roman Catholic historians ('His Storians') proved
                  > that His Grace was from Antioch, but he was a Roman Catholic bishop.
                • Johnson Mannathoor.
                  Message 8 of 13 , Nov 11, 2008
                    My Dear Prince Shemmashan,

                    I am really proud of you, my old neighbour and student in Sunday
                    School. You have a long way to go into the church history to find
                    out the truth about H.H Ahatulla Bawa.

                    As H.B Augen Bawa said many times and proved by himself we are
                    the 'Suriyani christyanikal nanniyillathavar'. Our forefathers
                    conducted the oath at Coonen Cross and then forgot it. They did not
                    bother to claim the body of H.H. We cannot blame the holy throne of
                    Antioch for this because the communication facilities were so bad at
                    that time and we can see from the history that the applications sent
                    from Malankara to the Holy See were reaching there 'with in a year'
                    only. One of the prominent priests from Kuravilangadu who took a
                    lead in that historical oath later switched over to RC. This is how
                    we stick to our faith and promises.

                    It is good on your part that you have really shown interest in this
                    subject and I pray to God to give you enough grace and courage to
                    take out the truth out of hidden shelves.

                    Warm regards & Prayers

                    In his love,

                    Johnson Mannathoor.

                    Message 9 of 13 , Nov 13, 2008
                      Dear Thomas Varghese

                      I am attaching below the official historical understanding of the universal Syriac Orthodox church regarding the life and demises of our
                      Holy Patriarch Mor Ahathulla Bava. I had checked it with the Bishop Mor Malke, Patriarchal vicar in Australia, who was a long time in India, Syria, and Turkey. I also confirmed about the understanding of the church in Syria and Turkey, about the departure of HH. From the Cor-Corepiscopa Zekhi Zetune, vicar of St. Maries Cathedral Australia, who was born and brought up in Turabdeen, and was a long time in the Patriarchal Aramana at the time of Patriarch H H Ignatious Yakoob III. There is no any tomb in the name of H.H. IGNATIOUS HIDAYATHULLA. It is clearly mentioned in the History of Kerala, that events happened in the history of Kerala. For us Syrian Christians This much is enough for faith I think, as my friend Dn. Prince pointed out we need to prove what the catholic and other HIS-STORIANS says-I came to know from a man who belongs to Marthoma Church he found a book in the NSW library, Astralia which mentioned the history of Christians in early centuries by some western historians. He said one thing is mentioned in it as it was there only Syrian Christians in India early centuries. Let me to collect that and check it more. Any way it is the understanding of our Universal Syrian Orthodox Church about our Holy Patriarch.

                      Ignatius Hadayat Allah From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
                      http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ignatius_Hadayat_Allah

                      Ignatius Hadayat Allah the Syriac Orthodox Patriarch of Antioch during
                      1597 - 1639. He was born in Turabdin. In 1586, he joined Dayra of Hananiya and was ordained deacon in 1587 by Patriarch Mor Ignatius David II Shah. He became as a Bishop in 1595. In 1597, Patriarch Mor Ignatius Pilate I was appointed as a Maphriyono of the East. Later he became the Patriarch of Antioch. In 1639 he went to Cairo to meet Syrian Christians in Alexandria. That time the Malankara church was in a need of a bishop and they wrote letter to Antioch for getting one from Jacobite Patriarchate. But the letter reached in Alexandrian Patriarchate. During a visit to the Syrian Christians in Alexandria, Patriarch Mor Ignatius Hadayat Allah met with Alexandrian Patriarchate and he came to knew about the matter of the letter. Mor Ignatius Hadayat Allah decided to go to Malankara. He started his journey from Cairo. But he reached in the hands of Portuguese authorities in India (1642). The Antiochian synod came into a wrong conclusion about this missing and thought Ignatius Hadayat Allah was died. At last Ignatius Simon (1640-1659) became the Patriarch of Antioch. Later Portuguese authorities brought to Mylapore (in 1652.) The tradition is that the Portuguese arrested him, tied him up and cast him in the Ocean. Consequently, the Syrian Christians get agitated and as a result, a large gathering of about 25,000 assembled at Mattancherry and took Oath at 'Koonan Cross' which happens to be known as the historical 'Koonam Kurisu Sathayam' in 1653 and declared that they and their future generations will ever be loyal to the throne of Antioch and also vowed to fight against the atrocities of the Roman/Latin Catholics. Ignatius Hadayat Allah is also known as Ahathulla Bava

                      There may be one more chance to get some more evidence-in the history of Coptic Orthodox Church.

                      Let me check it with some Coptic Orthodox Historians.

                      Regards
                      Fr. George Vayaliparambil
                    • SOCM Members
                      Message 10 of 13 , Nov 13, 2008
                        Dear Boney,

                        Other than the St Ignatios Nuroono Jacobite Syrian Church , Ponnurunni, I think the Thumpamon Valiya Pally (now with the I"O"C) is also celebrating the feast of Mor Ahattalah.

                        With the exception of your own home parish ,I do not know whether any of our Syriac Orthodox Churches (Malankara Jacobite Churches) are celebrating this feast.

                        I have ,once attended the feast of St. Ignatius Noorono, Mor Ahathulla and St. John the Baptist at your home parish. I am a temporary member of St Mary's Soonoro Patriarchal Cathedral, Elamkulam.

                        With prayers
                        Apu Jose
                        Bhubaneswar
                        Dear Boney,

                        To my knowledge Thumpamon valiyapally of IOC and Kothamangalam valiyapally too have the feast of Mor Ahatalla. The cross in the main road of kothamangalam cheriyapally is dedicated in the name of Mor Ahatalla.

                        rgds

                        Gleeson Baby
                        Dear Boney

                        St. Mary's Church, Thumpamon and in Mavelikkara (both belongs to IOC) also observe the feast of Ahatallah Bava

                        In Christ
                        Issac K Joseph
                        Dear Boney,

                        You will be surprised to know that an IOC church is celebrating
                        Ahatullah Bava's feast as pally perunnal.

                        The church I am mentioning is Thumpamon Valiya Pally of IOC.

                        What an irony? They are celebrating with all pomp splendour the feast of a bishop of Antiochean lineage and the present IOC leadership is
                        busy with filing cases, conducting protest rallies and throwing
                        allegations using bad words against the same throne.

                        Regards
                        Dn. Paul
                        No.172
                      • Rev. Dn. Prince Mannathoor
                        Message 11 of 13 , Nov 14, 2008
                          Dear Rev.Dr.Paul Samuel, Thomas Varghese, Johnson Mannthoor(My
                          Sundayschool Teacher), Appu Jose and all dear members.

                          Thank you for your response 'ANTHIYOKIA PATHRIYARKKESE PARISHUDHA
                          AHATHULLA BAVA'..

                          Truth is the soul of history. Without truth history is simple story
                          or fiction. Historical facts cannot be obliterated or altered, but
                          can be reinterpereted according to the wisdom, socio-cultural ethos
                          and religious tradition of the
                          historian ..................................
                          .

                          Nowadays, The Malankara Syrian Orthodox Church affecting main
                          problem is lack of Church Historians.

                          Ittoop Writer,E.M Philip,Kaniyanparambil Achan....then?

                          Currently Kuriyakose Moolayil Cor-episcopa achan doing some good
                          works.....then?

                          We have a lot of sourses and scholars. But no one not bothered about
                          these things.

                          (If anybody start to write a book or article, to keep minimum 5
                          principles.Introduction, Body, Conclution, Bibliography, Foot note.
                          But nowadays our writers not keep these things. They are write more
                          without these things.So the West people and Scholars not considered
                          it is an article or a good book.)

                          The Orthodox Church have a lot church historians.
                          The Roman Catholic Church have a lot church historians.

                          When I go to start my Thesis in my university. Before I visited
                          Moolayil achan and others. They said to me above mentioned things.

                          Anyway If anybody comes to write historical articles and books, Its a
                          great help of our church.

                          Thank You.

                          Dn.Prince Mannathoor, Rome
                        • Apu Jose
                          Message 12 of 13 , Nov 17, 2008
                            Respected Father,

                            Barekhmore

                            Your recent posting was very informative . I really appreciate the zeal you have for our Holy Church in this age of over the top ecumenism.

                            With prayers
                            Apu Jose
                            Bhubaneswar
                            4096
                          • Apu Jose
                            Message 13 of 13 , Nov 17, 2008
                              Dear readers,

                              Does anybody have pictures of Mor Ahatallah bava? I have seen one very hazy picture of him in the Souvenir of Mulamthuruthy Mor Thoman Church.Is it the right picture or does our Church have a real official picture of him?

                              Hoping to get answers soon.

                              With prayers

                              Apu Jose
                              Bhubaneswar