IOC's reception for Armenians in Kottayam and some comments

  • J Kurien
    Message 1 of 4 , Nov 6, 2008
      Today I happen to go with my friend for the public (?) reception given to Armenian Catholicos by Devalokam group at Kottayam Mammen Mappila hall. One thing that was clearly noticeable here was the great difference in the mass participation when the real father comes and a step father comes. The only thing in large numbers present there were Cars which brought people to the function. About one fourth seats of that hall remained vacant even at 6.00 pm, one hr after the program started. It was the same thing when I left the place at 7.15 pm. Without a large representation of deacons and students from Kottayam seminary or the nursing students of IOC nursing college at Kangazha, the audience would have been much lesser. The other set that came there in large numbers (max. 100 people) were sumoro and shruti choir group managed by IOC. Beyond this there were a few representations from Kottayam IOC elite class, that’s all.

      For about one hour I was there and it was then George Joseph, secretary of IOC spoke. He in his usual style used the opportunity to dig at the Syrian Orthodox Church. He was saying that recently the Patriarch of Damascus came here that without informing IOC. He continued, “We know very well that he is the head of just 2 million people only whereas your great Church have 9 million followers with 2 patriarchates under the Catholicate! We know that Armenian Church is a very big church”. This was the main condense of his short speech. Anyhow one thing for which i really appreciate George Joseph is that he admitted that there are two million people in Syrian Orthodox Church. I know that if it was not the Armenian Catholicos who was present there, he would have reduced that number to just thousands, after all he cannot cheat armenians with his number magic. So in a way I thank George Joseph for admitting a fact. But at the same time I would like to ask him, who is this IOC to get informed when our Supreme head visits India. What relationship does this IOC have with H.H. Ignatius Zakka I. Sure that H.H. is not accepted as the supreme head of the Indian Orthodox wing. If anybody have any doubt regarding this just go through the speech made by George Muthoot soon after. He in his speech many times categorically mentioned that Devalokam Catholicos is the Supreme head of his faction. If so who is this IOC secretary to demand for information on our Patriarchs visit.

      After George Josephs turn it was Muthoot George's turn to bring the church conflict before the Armenian Catholicos. He said that there is a rival orthodox sect here.- “They are creating big bigggg problem for us, the true Orthodox people. They are very bad people. There is lot to say about the issues but here I am not going to mention it all. Look, heads of all the churches are present here which shows there love for us.”- Muthoot George's speech continued for a few more minutes. While he was telling this there were just three bishops from other churches in the stage; Rev. Thomas Samuel of CSI, Kottayam bishop of Marthoma Church and local Knanaya Catholic Bishop. Actually it was almost the same set of Church representation which was there in our meetings also, a thing which Muthoot didn’t wanted to mention while trying to impress the Armenians. Okay, we can understand. But when Mr. Muthoot give a colour that we (Jacobites) are the sole problem creators, I was thinking about the 4 cases filed by this IOC office bearers in High Court to ban H.H. Patriarch’s programs and also about the Court decisions which emphatically dismissed the petitions of this IOC. When every repsonsible bodies/institutions of this country welcomed and accepted the apostolic visit of H.H. Patriarch, this Devalokam group alone was telling that H.H. is illegaly visiting and were running from pillar to pillar asking to ban Patriarchs visit! That is the IOC style.

      Even when I left the place at 7.15 about 1/3rd part of the hall was unoccupied. But wait for tomorrow, you could see photos and articles in Manorama, Hindu etc. making it a big function. That is the great Indian rope magic.

      J Kurien
      Thiruvalla
      Member ID # 2310
    • Manoj C George
      Message 2 of 4 , Nov 6, 2008
        Dear members,

        It is a request to everyone that in our zeal to criticize the ayyo
        group for their misdoings let us not unknowingly criticise the
        Armenian catholicose. The armenian church is a sister church and in
        full communion with the Syrian orthodox church. Let us keep this in
        mind.

        It is just that ayyos are desperate after the successful apostolic
        visit. Everytime they are desperate they get confused and do very
        strange things. A few years back they took around an eastern orthodox
        church head with whom they are not even in communion. At least this
        time it is the head of a sister church.

        Another interesting thing I noticed in one of the messages today is
        that one of the ayyos has actually accepted the fact that Mr. Binu of
        perumbavoor was killed in the church conflict. This is the first time
        I have seen any one of them having accepted this publicly. In their
        zeal of highlighting malankara varghese as the next sahada of ayyos
        they usually ignored the fact that he was the person who killed Mr.
        Binu.

        Rgds
        Manoj
        ID # 1309
      • Sajy Thannikkottu
        Message 3 of 4 , Nov 7, 2008
          Dear Manoj

          Probably you are pointing to my message. My point is not about
          accepting or rejecting Binu or Malankara Varghese. But church
          authority should look into such cases very seriously. As an outsider
          we may not understand their family's suffering, but it is a loss for
          their family. We have to renounce anyone in the church, especially if
          there is anyone wearing mask of Holy Man for promoting personal
          ideologies. A layman's influence on the church is not much important
          as compared to the influence of a spiritual guru.

          I don't know both of their families, but I know the value of loss of a
          life.

          Regards

          Sajy Thannikkottu, Kathmandu
          # 2912
        • Manoj C George
          Message 4 of 4 , Nov 9, 2008
            Dear Sajy,

            I did pick up that particular item from your message because you are
            the first person who acknowledged Binu's death to be one that happened
            because of the church conflict. Your church always has been avoiding
            mentioning this fact while highlighting malankara varghese. My message
            was in that context.

            rgds
            Manoj
            ID 1309