Syriac Orthodox Church in Bhubaneswar

  • Apu Jose
    Message 1 of 6 , Nov 3, 2008
      Dear readers ,

      I am presently residing in Bhubaneswar, Orissa. I am
      doing a course here .At present there are no Jacobite syrian church
      here in Bhubaneswar.The Indian "Orthodox" Church have one Chuirch
      here.They also have one Church in Cuttack (very nearby to
      Bhubaneswar) and one congregation in Paradip. These 3 churches are
      served by one priest . They also have a Church in Rourkela along
      with a school (served by another priest). I attend the
      Indian "Orthodox" Church and the Roman Catholic Church here on
      alternate Sundays.

      Presently , I know about 3 or 4 (including I guess 1 Knayaya member)Jacobite Syrians who sometimes attend the I"O" Church here .There may be more members who are attending RC church or who are not attending any Church.Many of the training centers of many companys are coming up in Bhubaneswar.So there might be more members.

      I have heard that some years before when the I"O" group organised a qurbana of their Metropolitan in their church, some of our members invited our bishop and organised a qurbana in a Roman Catholic convent over here.All the people of our Church have subsequently returned to Kerala.Therefore the congregation which they organised died a premature death.Rourkela ,(also a part of Orissa but around 12 hours journey from Bhubaneswar)I guess we will have a lot of our members who are at present attending the I"O"C or the RC church.I say this because , I have read that the members ther had held a protest meeting there, to protest against the lathicharge of our bishops and members in the Aluva Great March incident .Now , I don't know what happened to those people.

      I have a wish to organise a congregation here in Bhubaneswar . There might be some members of our Church in Cuttack and Paradip also( I don't know anybody there). It would be good to combine the members of Bhubaneswar and Cuttack as these places are very nearby.There may be new members coming for training in the new the training centers of MNCs recently set up in Bhubaneswar.Another congregation needs to be organised in Rourkela . All these congregations can be served by one priest.

      If anybody has any information of any Syriac Orthodox members in Orissa( Knayaya included) or about old congregation herewhich died out , please post it on this forum

      With Prayers
      Apu Jose
      Bhubaneswar
      4096
    • Bibu Philip Matthew
      Message 2 of 6 , Nov 5, 2008
        The information about Christianity in Chalakudy is completely
        wrong,Chalakudy is the centre of Catholics and 98% of Christians
        there are Syrian Catholics,non-catholic denominations are pure
        minority there.The Roman catholics there are traditional and they
        always consider Pope as head of all Christians,and they do not
        recognise Christian denominations who do not accept Pope as their
        head.(they still live in Portuguese era ,saying christians who do not
        accept Pope are not christians)I openly challenged this when I was
        studying in best catholic school there in 1980's(there was enquiry
        against me in lower primary ) and the school later recognised my stand
        (I openly refused to study Catesm in catholic school which was
        compulsory until then for all christians), only because my Jacobite
        family had strong influence and organisation there.

        Jacobites do not have even a chapel/church in chalakudy,Jacobites
        earlier approached Jacobite bishop Thomas Mor Dionasios of Angamaly
        for starting a chapel,but bishop said he is helpless,so few Jacobites
        go to Orthodox chapel in Potta.Even Marthomites have no chapel there
        but they have hired a prayer hall.There is a CSI church and small CSI
        community there.

        Rgds
        Bibu Philip Matthew
        ID No 74
      • JM Paul
        Message 3 of 6 , Nov 5, 2008
          Dear Bibu Philip,

          I am talking about not Chalakkudy Assembly constituency, but Parliamentary constituancy in which Kunnathunadu, Aluva, Perumbavoor,
          Angamaly, Vadakkekara, Chalakkudi and Iringalakkuda come. Of which both
          Chalakkudy and Iringalakkuda have more Catholics among Xian denominations

          Thanks
          JM Paul
          ID#1040
        • Ginu Issac
          Message 4 of 6 , Nov 6, 2008
            Hi Bibu,

            I think you are mentioning about Chalakudy only. But Chalakudy parliamentry constituency includes Perumbavoor, Anakamaly, Kunnathunadu and Vadakkekara from Ernakulam Dist

            Regards
            Ginu
          • Gleeson Baby
            Message 5 of 6 , Nov 6, 2008
              Dear Bibu,

              You have been mistaken for Chalakudy assembly segment. The new Chalakudy loksabha segment includes Angamaly, Perumbavoor and Kunnathunad assembly segments,and that should be what Mr Paul meant.

              rgds

              Gleeson Baby
              St George Jacobite Syrian Church
              Arakunnam