SOC and Political Developments in Kerala

  • J. M. Paul
    Message 1 of 6 , Nov 3, 2008
      Dear All,

      This is I am writing not to ask our Church to take a particular political line or criticise any political party while emphasising H H Patriarch's statement about Church's attitude towards Politics in Kerala that every believer of the Church can take his own independent political view, but to give a wider picture of the latest political development in Kerala which inextricably linked with the strengthness of our Church.

      Traditionally, Kerala Syrian Xians are unofficial supporters of the Congress Party(UDF), particularly both Jacobites and Orthodox. In the earlier period Orthodox group produced prominent political leaders like C M Stephen, E. John Jacob (Niranam Baby) of Kerala Congress and Oomman Chandy. All of them overtly and covertly provided all kind of support to Orthodox group in its fight against Patriarch group which helped them in winning cases in judiciary and capturing churches with active help of the executive. The in-famous Thrikkunnathu seminary lathicharge of 1979 was under the insistence of then kerala Minister E. John Jacob as he directed Distric Collecter to open the door of the seminary to the Orthodox. When the seminary issue brought in the Cabinet he made a statement that "before I discharge my constitutional duty I am on Orthodox so I will go for the last resort to protect their interest". So Patriarchs had to face lot of injustice and losses during that time.

      Lately, when Oomman Chandy became the CM of Kerala Jacobites had to face almost same situation in Aluva as our priests and layers were again lathicharged and put them under custody in jail, and didn't allow our Bava to pray at the tomb of our forefathers. All the while the executive (particularly Congress governments while Communists had no interest in the Church until the last election) considered Jacobites (Patriarc faction) were economically weak and numerically negligible.

      However, things began to change by the last election as the CPM (LDF)
      realised the numerical strength of the Jacobites in the confluence of the districts of Trichur, Ernakulam, Idukki and Kottayam and fielded Jacobite candidates in the traditionally Congress bastion constituencies such as Kunnathunadu, Perumbavoor, Muvattupuzha, Kothamangalam and Piravam and won all the seats (While Minister S. Sharma of Vadakkera is a strong sympathiser of Jacobites, another Jacobites dominant constituency, and in Kunnathunadu commander P. P Thankachan was the UDF candidate). For the first time in the kerala history that LDF won majority of seats in Ernakulam districts. In the ensuing perunnal of Thrikkunnathu seminary the LDF government provided police protection to our Bava to visit the tombs of our Thirumenies and wholeheartedly given all kinds of executive support to our Church in protecting them from the Orthodox group while they attempt to capture it including the latest Piravom fiasco.

      And at the Marine Drive in Oct 19 our Church leaders expressed our gratitude to the current government for their support and also warned to the Congress leadership about the injustice inflicted upon us by the earlier UDF government. Frustrated by the lenience of the Jacobites towards the LDF, the Congress leadership met our Bava and said that even if the Church wouldn't support Congress party in the upcoming Parliament election, kindly don't take offensive stand against UDF, as reported.

      It is now reported that the UDF has almost unanimously decided Chalakkudy Parliamentary constituency is to be given to P.C. Chakko, in which majority voters are Jacobites and LDF is likely to field current MP Lonappan Nambadan again (It is certain that Chakko will win). But a newspaper lately reported that K. Karunakaran called up P.C. Chakko to his house before he left for Vellore for treatment and asked Chakko to surrender the Chalakkudy seat and hand over to Padmaja, his daughter, instantly Chakko rejected it. And now the discussion in this constituency is that if Padmaja contests in
      Chalakkudy there is a high possibility that UDF might loss there
      particularly which may prop up the reminiscent of Karunakaran's old
      statement in years back when P.C. Chakko was trying to contest for second term in Mukundapuram, Leader made a statement that the community which Chakko belongs to are not numerically strong enough to win for Chakko and he was shifted to Idukki. Now the discussion in the LDF circle is that if Padmaja is the candidate then they will put up a Jacobite candidate in Chalakkudi in place of Nambadan so that they can easily win and the names round the corner are either Perumbavoor MLA or Kunnathunadu MLA or someone else from the Jacobites, the likes of D. Babu Paul IAS.

      Why I have written this message is that now all the political parties,
      social groups , other religious denominations have realised that Jacobites are numerically strong than the Orthodox and Jacobites demands are right vis-à-vis Orthodox in church dispute. Similarly the Church is stood by in "unity" under the able leadership of our Shresta Bava, so that no government in Kerala can do anything against our Church. While important aspect is that it is not the Church going after the political parties rather political parties come forward to in helping the needs of the Church.

      J. M. Paul
    • Apu Jose
      Message 2 of 6 , Nov 3, 2008
        Dear readers ,

        I am presently residing in Bhubaneswar, Orissa. I am
        doing a course here .At present there are no Jacobite syrian church
        here in Bhubaneswar.The Indian "Orthodox" Church have one Chuirch
        here.They also have one Church in Cuttack (very nearby to
        Bhubaneswar) and one congregation in Paradip. These 3 churches are
        served by one priest . They also have a Church in Rourkela along
        with a school (served by another priest). I attend the
        Indian "Orthodox" Church and the Roman Catholic Church here on
        alternate Sundays.

        Presently , I know about 3 or 4 (including I guess 1 Knayaya member)Jacobite Syrians who sometimes attend the I"O" Church here .There may be more members who are attending RC church or who are not attending any Church.Many of the training centers of many companys are coming up in Bhubaneswar.So there might be more members.

        I have heard that some years before when the I"O" group organised a qurbana of their Metropolitan in their church, some of our members invited our bishop and organised a qurbana in a Roman Catholic convent over here.All the people of our Church have subsequently returned to Kerala.Therefore the congregation which they organised died a premature death.Rourkela ,(also a part of Orissa but around 12 hours journey from Bhubaneswar)I guess we will have a lot of our members who are at present attending the I"O"C or the RC church.I say this because , I have read that the members ther had held a protest meeting there, to protest against the lathicharge of our bishops and members in the Aluva Great March incident .Now , I don't know what happened to those people.

        I have a wish to organise a congregation here in Bhubaneswar . There might be some members of our Church in Cuttack and Paradip also( I don't know anybody there). It would be good to combine the members of Bhubaneswar and Cuttack as these places are very nearby.There may be new members coming for training in the new the training centers of MNCs recently set up in Bhubaneswar.Another congregation needs to be organised in Rourkela . All these congregations can be served by one priest.

        If anybody has any information of any Syriac Orthodox members in Orissa( Knayaya included) or about old congregation herewhich died out , please post it on this forum

        With Prayers
        Apu Jose
        Bhubaneswar
        4096
      • Bibu Philip Matthew
        Message 3 of 6 , Nov 5, 2008
          The information about Christianity in Chalakudy is completely
          wrong,Chalakudy is the centre of Catholics and 98% of Christians
          there are Syrian Catholics,non-catholic denominations are pure
          minority there.The Roman catholics there are traditional and they
          always consider Pope as head of all Christians,and they do not
          recognise Christian denominations who do not accept Pope as their
          head.(they still live in Portuguese era ,saying christians who do not
          accept Pope are not christians)I openly challenged this when I was
          studying in best catholic school there in 1980's(there was enquiry
          against me in lower primary ) and the school later recognised my stand
          (I openly refused to study Catesm in catholic school which was
          compulsory until then for all christians), only because my Jacobite
          family had strong influence and organisation there.

          Jacobites do not have even a chapel/church in chalakudy,Jacobites
          earlier approached Jacobite bishop Thomas Mor Dionasios of Angamaly
          for starting a chapel,but bishop said he is helpless,so few Jacobites
          go to Orthodox chapel in Potta.Even Marthomites have no chapel there
          but they have hired a prayer hall.There is a CSI church and small CSI
          community there.

          Rgds
          Bibu Philip Matthew
          ID No 74
        • JM Paul
          Message 4 of 6 , Nov 5, 2008
            Dear Bibu Philip,

            I am talking about not Chalakkudy Assembly constituency, but Parliamentary constituancy in which Kunnathunadu, Aluva, Perumbavoor,
            Angamaly, Vadakkekara, Chalakkudi and Iringalakkuda come. Of which both
            Chalakkudy and Iringalakkuda have more Catholics among Xian denominations

            Thanks
            JM Paul
            ID#1040
          • Ginu Issac
            Message 5 of 6 , Nov 6, 2008
              Hi Bibu,

              I think you are mentioning about Chalakudy only. But Chalakudy parliamentry constituency includes Perumbavoor, Anakamaly, Kunnathunadu and Vadakkekara from Ernakulam Dist

              Regards
              Ginu
            • Gleeson Baby
              Message 6 of 6 , Nov 6, 2008
                Dear Bibu,

                You have been mistaken for Chalakudy assembly segment. The new Chalakudy loksabha segment includes Angamaly, Perumbavoor and Kunnathunad assembly segments,and that should be what Mr Paul meant.

                rgds

                Gleeson Baby
                St George Jacobite Syrian Church
                Arakunnam