Re: Unity?????

  • Jacob Varghese
    Message 1 of 3 , Oct 28, 2008
      Dear brother Eldo and all,

      The so called "unity " is never possible. Can a true Syrian Christian can accept the IOC and their priests and bishops? I think that even if anyone bring that "unity " many church will leave their present dioceses and will become directly under Patriarch as Simahasana church.

      Even when the move to unity was warm just after the Supreme court verdict confirming the supremacy of Antioch Patriarch , the Kanjikuzhy Catholicose was not responding to that. I was fortunate to present in an informal meeting with our Perumpally thirumeni, during which he demanded the comment from the then IOC Catholicose regarding the Supreme court verdict. If he accept the court verdict he has to accept the Patriarch as their supreme spiritual head and the peace process is easy. If he do not accept the verdict then he has to face actions for contempt of court. But they were quiet about the verdict. Even now the laymen wish to divide the disputed church properties and separate peacefully, but IOC Catholicose not agreeing to that.

      In the recent past many prominent personalities including Bishops from other Christian communities, Political and other religious leaders were expressed their willingness to mediate the peace process, but the IOC refused all. They want the settlement only through the court  but never willing to obey it if it is not favorable to them.

      Why we should waste our time and energy to discuss unity, which is not a possible among the two faction? Instead  if we can bring some out of court settlement peace formulae which is acceptable to both faction, is better .

      Jacob Varghese
      Id # 4112
    • Manoj C George
      Message 2 of 3 , Oct 28, 2008
        Dear Bro Eldo,

        Please do not worry too much about whatever the IOC's say or write.
        They just cant bear the huge reception given to HH and HB by the
        church and the faithful. They are spellbound by the huge success of
        the Holy apostolic visit. They know that if they organise something
        like this the maximum they can get is 5000 people and half of them
        will be taken on rent. Just recall the festivities organised to
        canonise their saint vattasseril. Their own journals reported the low
        turnout of people. Just compare this with the sea of faithful
        gathered at Marine drive, Mulanthurthy, Panambady and kandanad. How
        can they bear this ? If you go through the messages in their forums
        you can see the height of their desperation.

        Instead of worrying about what they write let us understand their
        feeling of insecurity. Once I remember reading in a magazine that for
        Pakistan the policy of hatred towards India is a matter of survival.
        They want to keep this hatred alive so as to keep public attention
        away from their internal problems and power struggles within. The
        same applies to IOC also. For them spreading hatred and lies about
        the SOC and the SOC hierarchy is a matter of survival. Let them be
        happy with what they are doing. Let us just ignore them.

        If you go through their forums their main arguments are ...

        1. The visit of HH is creating law and order issues. HH is entering
        churches which fall under the 1934 constitution.

        But they fail to get even a stay against the visit of HH to these
        churches. They conveniently forget that leave alone entering these
        churches their leaders cannot even think of coming near these
        churches which are to be governed by the 1934 bible. They overlook
        the fact that the police were there not to lathi charge the faithful
        or provide protection for forced entry. They were there to control
        the multitudes of faithful who thronged the place to have a glimpse
        of their spiritual father and seek his blessings. Once IOC 's
        understand that HH is not here to conquer churches like they tend to
        do but to conquer the hearts of the faithful all this hue and cry
        about law and order problems will die out.

        2. HB Thomas I is the stumbling block for the unity of the church.

        HB Thomas I has saved this church from falling into the trap of ayyos
        again like 1964. The church has become a resurgent force under his
        leadership. From a stage in 1995/6 where we thought we will lose
        everything like we did in the 1970's we are today a well organised
        church with a constituion, able leadership, new dioceses,etc.,. And
        all this happened under the visionary leadership of HB. So of course
        HB is the stumbling block for the unity as ayyos envision unity. For
        ayyos unity means complete submission to them. When this did not
        happen and HB was the person under whom the SOC reorganised how can
        they bear this ? Please understand their plight.

        3. HB tend to follow dharna, kuthiyiruppu satyagraham, upavasa
        satyagraham etc.,. to make his claim.

        The funny part is that the very people who criticize him for this are
        following the same methods of protest. But unfortunately since it is
        just a show off and the real intention is something else always their
        dramas have had a bad climax.

        4. Another of our friend who blames everything and anything that
        happens around world on the Patriarchs of antioch is worried that Mor
        Clemis Augen Kaplan is being taken around malankara and this is wrong
        because HE was involved in a scam.

        Whatever the scam was, his explanation has already been accepted by
        HH and the matter is a closed one. But this guy very conveniently
        forget that their "parishudda" catholica Mathews II lost in crores
        when one of the financial institutions went under. Now since he is
        bothered only about what is happening in SOC he might not have
        noticed this. This is the problem with IOC ians. They read only SOC
        journals like Vishwasasamrakshakan but never bother to read IOC
        journals. They are always there to point out even spelling mistakes
        on VS but are never bothered when vedi magazines go full steam
        spitting hatred. They only listen to people like HG Mor gregorios
        speaking on stages but conveniently ignore hysterics of mannuthies.
        They are quick to criticise HG for having made some political
        comments but conveniently forget our dear mannuthy's famous joke of '
        the resignation of 37 MLA's'. These are the people who conveniently
        ignore the huge block in their eyes but look for dust in others eyes.
        Let us stop arguing with them. There is no point in trying to wake up
        people who are acting to be asleep.

        There are a lot of issues like this doing rounds in their forums.
        Then there are a set of people who are running around different
        forums spreading all sorts of nonsense. Recently there was a guy
        selling flowers on their forum. In SOCM he talks always about peace
        and unity. It is people like these that we have to be careful of.

        Dear brother, let them do whatever they want to. Let them shout peace
        or unity. We as a church have made our decision to co-exist. Let us
        stop worrying about them and concentrate on making our church
        stronger. The apostolic visit has re-inforced the confidence that we
        were experiencing for the last six years under HB Thomas I. The
        apostolic visit has come as a huge moral booster. Let us thank God
        almighty for having given us such a loving and visionary Patriarch
        and such an able and caring catholicose. Let us consider ourselves
        lucky for having lived in this golden era in the history of malankara
        church under such great spiritual fathers.

        Long live HH the patriarch and Long live HB the catholicose.

        Rgds
        Manoj
        ID # 1309